Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Without trying to sound negative or hijack this thread... but why are roof racks and kayak racks worth more than gold. They are just bits of bent metal but I don't get it. Why are they THAT expensive. Please don't tell me it's R&D because 99% have none.
I agree. See attached pic of my rack for my Honda Element. I used a 2" receiver extension from Harbor Freight, welded a tub on top of it with a vertical bar to a horizontal crosspiece with end stops. Lightening holes in the gussets that double as tie down points.

Slip the bike rack into the end of the modified receiver extension. Front rack attaches to the hard points for ski rack on the Honda (Note: don't drive into a low ceiling parking garage in Key West FL with the front kayak rack still installed . . . even with no kayaks . . . .Don't ask.)

Will hold 4 kayaks although we only carried two.

Total cost, including powder coating and extension, under $75, but then again we have a CNC plasma cutter and the metal working equipment/welders to do it. Took an afternoon to do not including the powder coating. Now I have do the same for our GMC Canyon toad!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #16

Pic didn't attach for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch Star 005a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	124974  

Old 04-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Without trying to sound negative or hijack this thread... but why are roof racks and kayak racks worth more than gold? They are just bits of bent metal but I don't get it. Why are they THAT expensive. Please don't tell me it's R&D because 99% have none.
As a kid growing up on a boat, it quickly became apparent the reason is that it's considered a marine product. Anything marine always cost more. Why do they charge more for a product labeled marine?

Because they can!

Those of us who can adapt bits of hardware to do the same thing have an advantage, we can mess about in boats (or RVs) and still afford it by a bit of ingenuity and cleverness.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As a kid growing up on a boat, it quickly became apparent the reason is that it's considered a marine product. Anything marine always cost more. Why do they charge more for a product labeled marine?

Because they can!

Those of us who can adapt bits of hardware to do the same thing have an advantage, we can mess about in boats (or RVs) and still afford it by a bit of ingenuity and cleverness.
Yeah I totally get it. They love to shaft the man I guess. I just find its ludicrous. I priced out a new kayak rak that my wife needed. $800+!! Are you kidding! for two pieces of metal and some vertical braces. Crazy. In the end we opted for some much cheaper and still good looking options for under $200! Talk about almost being taken advantage of. Thank god for the Internet because I research EVERYTHING pros, cons and alternatives etc. What about those that don't. .. they go one paying $800 and swallow hard when the CC bill comes.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah I totally get it. They love to shaft the man I guess. I just find its ludicrous. I priced out a new kayak rak that my wife needed. $800+!! Are you kidding! for two pieces of metal and some vertical braces. Crazy. In the end we opted for some much cheaper and still good looking options for under $200! Talk about almost being taken advantage of. Thank god for the Internet because I research EVERYTHING pros, cons and alternatives etc. What about those that don't. .. they go one paying $800 and swallow hard when the CC bill comes.

Or you can come by our place, and we'll fix you up for free, you just buy the materials! And it'll be nicer than anything you can buy off line! We even have a place to park and plug in. Your only investment will be a weekend of your time, well maybe more if you have a long drive.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #20

I have been looking at both the Thule and Yakima roof racks, looks like that will be the way to go, a bit pricey but one time cost.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Or you can come by our place, and we'll fix you up for free, you just buy the materials! And it'll be nicer than anything you can buy off line! We even have a place to park and plug in. Your only investment will be a weekend of your time, well maybe more if you have a long drive.
That's really generous man! I'm in BC Canada so the trek woukd be a while lol. Thanks anyway!
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry my 2 - person Sea Eagle inflatable kayak in the trunk of my Focus toad. We have two Old Town kayaks at home, but didn't want to have different racks for the various cars we tow behind the MH. The Sea Eagle is lighter than the single seat hard shell kayaks. It's very stiff and tracks well.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #23

How do you carry your kayaks

I'll be getting a Yakima roof rack system for my Sierra. I already have most of what I need from my old vehicle. I only need to replace my towers for the new baseline ones.

The new towers will give me a rack system rated for 165 lbs. The older Q-towers were rated for about 90-100 lbs.

My kayak is a 75 lb 18 ft tandem.

I considered a truck bed rack but was concerned the long boat might hit my trailer. There is at least one bed cover system that works with a bed rack (backflip) but the roof rack upgrade is more cost effective.

The new towers and hardware will run about $250. That's not cheap but it's better than buying a new setup.

If you buy a used rack with Q towers make sure you check the Yakima fit guide. The older style Q towers (there were 3 versions) will not work with the 2014+ Sierra which is why I will need new towers.

Yakima's fit guide will let you know if the older towers will fit your truck. Their phone support is also helpful.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Quote:
That's really generous man! I'm in BC Canada so the trek woukd be a while lol. Thanks anyway!

We'll be up in Washington State the end of August . . . .but unfortunately all our equipment will be in KY still . . . .Darn,
Old 04-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #25

KZ RV Club
Yakima user

We are big fans of the Yakima line of carriers. Its pretty versatile stuff and you can usually find pieces to make happen whatever you are envisioning. It helps if you go to a store that sells the stuff and has people who know what they are talking about it.

I have the kayak carriers that kind of look like short shark fins, the kayak is cradled by them, sitting flat (not on its side). The 4 shark fin things are bolted to the 2 bars going across my car. I have seen the same set up on a pick up roof (going back) but additional gear was needed.

Yakima is not cheap but it does seem to be quality.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I can not find any of the choices that was mentioned above wrong. The idea is to get them where you want to go safely and still have them attached to their vehicle when you get there. I gave up on the bed cover and bought the Thule bed rack that locks to the rail and is adjustable up and down when not in use, I am easily able to strap on three Kayaks 2, 10Ft and 1 13ft with the two bicycles attached in the bed and my Dish antenna strapped in the center as we tow the F150 behind the MH, or transporting to the kayaking stream once we reach our destination. Thule makes a solid product and it works for us.