Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

How do you carry your kayaks

I have a GMC Sierra crew cab and was wondering how campers with kayaks transport them, looked at roof racks and truck bed racks, but don't really want to give up using my bed cover, if you use roof racks what type do you use?

Thanks for any suggestions..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I carry my kayak on roof racks on my toad. On a very windy bit of western Interstate, a trucker motioned me to pull over. The sun was blinding my rear camera, I pulled over and found the kayak was 30 out of alignment. This with two straps across the top and a third one through the windows of the car and over the top. That evening I stopped and got bolts to hold the kayak from moving from side to side by putting the bolts in the roof rack tracks. No problems after that.

We got stopped for invasive species checks in Idaho and Montana, they wanted to be sure the kayak wasn't carrying any hitchhikers to contaminate their lakes.

With a pick up you could add ladder racks on top of the cap to hold the kayaks, or roof racks on the cab.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

I carry mine rolled up on the basement

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Big-Ba...ilpage_o00_s00

It's actually a good kayak for $325. My wife and daughter and I just used it this weekend. Had it a year and so far no problems
Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #4

Sea Kayaks or Whitewater? It depends on the length of the kayaks you are carrying. You can find ladder style racks that work with many bed covers. I have a diamondback bed cover and I just priced out a Yakima system (for bikes) that will work with it. I'm still trying to find a less expensive option though.

More options for a shorter whitewater boat or sit-on top. Does your bed cover support any sort of load? The diamondback cover I have is rated up to 1600lbs.

If you have a receiver on the back of your trailer, there are vertical mounts that you could use off of that. My trailer doesn't have one.

Ben at Rack Attack in Portland, Oregon might be a good resource.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchunter View Post
..but don't really want to give up using my bed cover...
We have the same issue. We've been looking at www.usracks.com They have racks that clamp securely into the the bed post holes. Our issue is that the truck has an 8' bed and our kayaks are 10 feet long. I called them and they said they could make a rack that used the front and middle post holes in our bed. We will probably take them up on that offer. I've only heard good things about the company and my dealings with them so far have been great.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchunter View Post
I have a GMC Sierra crew cab and was wondering how campers with kayaks transport them, looked at roof racks and truck bed racks, but don't really want to give up using my bed cover, if you use roof racks what type do you use?

Thanks for any suggestions..
Yakama roof rack with locks and rollers from Rack Attack

Kayak Racks: Roof Rack Kayak Carriers - Rack Attack
Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have two 9.5' kayaks that go into the 6' bed of our truck, had no problem pulling the camper 100 miles last year to a campsite. I believe DH used ratchet straps to secure them. When we had the motorhome, a couple times we put them inside the coach while traveling. These were short trips under 500 miles to the campground traveled in one day.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
We use Yakima roof racks on our crew cab roof, for one soon to be two, ten foot kayaks.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have two Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks. One single one double. Best money I ever spent. Just throw the two duffle bags in the truck
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

We have 2 sit in kayaks the longest is 10'4". we just flip back the tonto cover and strap them in the back of the truck. We leave the tailgate up so they dont bother the trailer at all.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

What about this? I'm thinking of building it.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #12

Be happy that you have a TT. There are lots of options for you. I have an 18' canoe and a 5th wheel. That sort of limits the choices.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving for Florida.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	124918  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:43 AM   #13

Without trying to sound negative or hijack this thread... but why are roof racks and kayak racks worth more than gold. They are just bits of bent metal but I don't get it. Why are they THAT expensive. Please don't tell me it's R&D because 99% have none.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Without trying to sound negative or hijack this thread... but why are roof racks and kayak racks worth more than gold. They are just bits of bent metal but I don't get it. Why are they THAT expensive. Please don't tell me it's R&D because 99% have none.
If your vehicle has rain gutters, the Quick-N-Easy racks are fairloy inexpensive. You just add a couple of pieces of 2x4. Quick-N-Easy Car Top Racks - Set at nrs.com

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote