Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

How easy is it to tow 21' trailer?

We currently have a pop up camper but are seriously looking at grand design 2150. Is a 21' trailer easy to tow? Any problems with sway? What about state parks? Should we aim for trailer under 20' for ease of towing?
dexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

Actually, a longer trailer tows better, truck willing.

The state parks ive visited can handle 35' rvs at the small end.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing a 21' trailer can be as easy as towing your current pop up trailer if you have an adequate tow vehicle. You will have a heavier trailer so acceleration may be reduced and you will feel more input from the trailer on bumps etc.

If you are confident with backing up the pop up a bit of practice will make backing up the trailer simple as well. You will not be able to see over the trailer as with the pop up so backing carefully and checking often are a good thing to do.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"

What vehicle are you going to tow it with?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

What are you using to Tow with?

my opinion... 21 foot ..... twin axle tow better then One axle...

I had a Dodge 1500 V6 and a AmeriLite 21MB.... 21 foot... easy.
and never had anything else except a popup and using a front wheel drive car to tow with.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
I went from a ~2000lb A-Frame pop-up (single axle) that was 18' from tongue to bumper to a ~ 7000 TT (double axle) that is 30' from tongue to bumper. While the pop-up was easier to tow (literally could not even feel that I was towing anything), the TT is easier to back-up.

I should clarify, the TT is not at all difficult to tow, I just know it is back there and I can no longer see out of the back window.

Regarding sites at state parks (or any campgrounds for that matter). I have not encountered ANY issues related to space. Worst case has been an overnight stay at a really tight site that I had to unhitch (when I would have rather stayed hitched) to fit the truck.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

That Grand Design 2150 is actually 26'9" long. Don't use the model number for anything. Look at the specs to determine lengths and weights. The model number usually can be used to determine what the floor plan is. I.E, 2150RB. RB being rear bath. To answer your question it's a lot harder to tow 27' than it is to tow a pop up. But in the TT world 27' isn't hard to tow. Not a s easy as 21' but not as hard as 35'.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexie View Post
We currently have a pop up camper but are seriously looking at grand design 2150. Is a 21' trailer easy to tow? Any problems with sway? What about state parks? Should we aim for trailer under 20' for ease of towing?
Is it easier to tow? Probably not easier, not harder, just different. You'll find it's a bit more complicated to hitch/unhitch, because you'll almost certainly need weight distribution and sway control - odds are you don't have those with your popup.

I moved up from a 16.5' to a 23' travel trailer this year, didn't find any noticeable towing difference other than the weight - my TV has to work harder.

Regarding sway, a travel trailer is a whole different ballgame from a popup, mostly due to the huge increase in "sail" area. It will be more susceptible to wind gusts. But weight and how it's distributed also affect sway. With the increased weight of the TT you WILL need sway control, especially at highway speeds.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #9

what does the OP have for a tow vehicle????

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
what does the OP have for a tow vehicle????
Was waiting to see that, too.

Roger
Old 10-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I tow a Flagstaff 21FBRS with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Fl 21 is 21'7" bumper to ball. But most trailers are advertised by the interior length, as was mentioned above. Usually a trailer is 4' longer than the model numbers.

Do more research on lengths, weights, and tow vehicles before you buy.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a two axle twenty one foot long trailer, total length including rear bumper and hitch is twenty four feet and about six inches. It tows very easily, and maneuvering with it is no problem. Good tow mirrors help, and I've gotten her into some tight places. No regrets here with my purchase decision.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Agree with the others

The issue is really not easy, nor harder. Will be different, and what you are towing with makes a big difference. My Jayco 23RBM is really 27 feet long, so be careful with understanding the true length and weight.

As far as backing, I have found, the longer trailers back easier than the shorter trailers. Sounds counter intuitive, but true.

Just make sure your towing vehicle can handle the new TT.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It will be easy, and safe, if your tow vehicle & wd hitch are adequate. Towing bigger rigs with bigger vehicles is not for everybody, but, it is an exciting adventure, not to be missed

Tags
tow