Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was driving commercial, moving TT and 5th wheels, I would do 11 hrs a day because that was the max time allowed for driving under dot rules. However, I would always stop every two or three hours and check the trailer, bearing hubs and tires just to be safe, doubled as a strech and relax break. If I felt tired I would just hit a road side rest stop or parking lot and take a nap.

Just remember to use your head and stop an hour or two before you get tired.

Good luck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #30

Everywhere we go is a min of 2hrs. I would have no prob going 7-8 hrs but 10 would be a long day. Even just driving the car down the freeway with the cruise on. Problem with 10 hr trips is you will have to stop for gas and potty breaks so unless your timing is right you won't get all that far. Always seem to take longer to fill the truck than the car. Yes the trucks holds more fuel but it's the slower driving in and out of stations that eat up the day. I would be more concerned about where I would be after 10 hrs than if I can drive that long. You don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, tired and hungry looking for a spot and can't find one. I have to add though that since I moved up from my 1/2 ton gasser to my 12 Ram CTD cruising is a lot easier. I could easily see myself going 10 hrs in it. I can go almost 6 hrs at 62mph before needing diesel. So our bladders would be the only hinderence.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #31

We tow a 33' TT with our F-150 Ecoboost. Our daughter and grandkids live 10 hours away. We have found a really nice campground at the half-way point. We leave early in the afternoon and pull in just in time for dinner. We don't bother to unhook. The next morning, we get up, have breakfast and get back on the road. This allows us to arrive at our destination early in the afternoon, rested enough to get set up before we call the family and tell them we are there. The first time we made this trip, we drove the entire trip home without stopping overnight. It was all interstate and it was exhausting. Too many trucks!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #32

I try to keep it around 200 to 250 miles, but coming home from our winter trip did about 750 miles from Ky to NJ to beat the snowstorm that never came. That was tiring, but doable.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I first got my MH and joined here there was a thread that said 200 to 250 miles per day. I was amazed as I was used to driving 10 to 12 hours (Seattle, WA to Sacramento, CA) all the time, so I took that with a grain of salt.

But I decided to stick to a policy the wife and I decided on a few years ago on a trip to Las Vegas. We always try to do different routes even when going to the same place to see the country. Well here it was about 9:30 at night and I said to the wife, what the heck are we going? It is dark and we can not see a thing except the road and we have never been here before, we are on vacation and are missing miles and miles of new (to us) country. We stopped at the first Motel we can to and set a policy that would would not travel in the dark again on a vacation.

Well now I am retired so every trip is a vacation and we do not travel in the dark (Well one time to keep a schedule, but I don't schedule any more either) and we found that 250 to 300 miles per day is a good days worth of traveling, with stops st rest stops and fuel when needed. I have no idea of the hours per day, because we start kind of late and will stop someplace for the night before dark or if feeling tired.

Each of is different and have different goals, but the main thing is to enjoy the trip and have a safe trip at all times and don't pressure yourself into foolish actions.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #34

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Depends on you. Your decision.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poqprince View Post
One thing more...the walking around is critical. When I have a long day, I always make sure to take a couple of aspirin. You may remember the reporter who died at the beginning of the Iraqi war. He died of Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT. When you sit for prolonged periods of time you risk blood clots which are also the cause of strokes. Not giving medical advise just saying what I do.

Good advice... getting out and walking is extremely important. DVT and Bilateral Pulmonary Embolisms, assuming you survive, will turn a long drive into a week in the hospital ... and it happens all the time. I get out and walk once per hour.

What is a bilateral pulmonary embolism? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I've drove truck for years so I like to drive, but, after we got our first MH the DW said I could only buy gas once a day. As you all know gassers tanks aren't all that big so I traded for a DP with a 100 gallon tank.. As life goes on and you all know who has the last word we stop when we are told it's time. Life is good. Jim
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Never towed more than 2 hours in a day but thinking of a 10 hour drive this summer. Ford Expedition towing 26 foot TT. Is that too far in 1 day? DW would likely drive a 2-3 hour piece.
No need to hurry. Make it a two-day trip if need be. There are plenty of truck stops, rest areas, or campgrounds you can pull into when you get tired. Just don't push yourself into any regime you are not comfortable with, and the same goes for your wife. Unless she is comfortable pulling the trailer, don't put her on the spot. Just go as far as you feel safe and pull over when you get tired. Everybody has different tolerances and limits and safety should always be your first concern. To me, RV travel should be fun. If you are beating yourself to death, you are missing the biggest part of the picture. Have fun and be safe.
Mojavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #38

we own a towing and repair shop for semi's. for years i would always drive back home no matter what. would work all day and just get to bed then get called out for a long haul. i would always try to make it on time both ways. most the time we would take out a spare tractor and tow back bad one. about 6 years ago we bought a wrecker with a sleeper. told the wife i'm not coming home most the time. i get an extra hour of sleep and work better the next day. half hr each way home plus parking trucks.
when we go on trips we would drive straight through and be tired for 2 days. same coming home. wouldn't be worth a crap at work for 2 days. now we stop more often.
when driving i drink alot of pop so i have to stop every couple hours. also makes me check towed truck more often.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote