Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
How far is drivable

Never towed more than 2 hours in a day but thinking of a 10 hour drive this summer. Ford Expedition towing 26 foot TT. Is that too far in 1 day? DW would likely drive a 2-3 hour piece.

Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS
But always looking for the next RV
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's depends on how much you can do and the time period it takes for you to get tired, if you want to get to where your going and can do the 10 hrs with no issues like falling asleep at the wheel then that's ok. If you want to check out the stops along the way then do the 2 to 3 hrs drive it all depends on you

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Its all dependant on you. My buddy had a similar set-up with his expedition. He's in his late 40's, in pretty good shape but he complained of being tired on longer trips, nothing that approached 10 hours though. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
if you do a 10 hour day make sure you stop and strech- walk and have a place in mind to stay if you decide it is too long of a drive.

when I had our travel trailer I would do about 8 hours max, we would leave early and stop several times to relax. the longest I ever did was 15 hours- Elkhart to North Little Rock. It was one of those days that I could just drive- neither of us got uncomfortable sitting. when I would do the 8 hour trip I would always have campgrounds written down along the route that I could stop at if I was just done and spend the night.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
I agree with the others, it depends on your driving skill and comfort. We dont like long days at all, but when leaving Texas for Colorado we sometimes do a ten hour day. When we do that, we stop at evry rest stop as a matter of discipline. I get out and use my hand dandy infra red thermometer to check tire and hub temps, and inspect the rig. Wife opens trailer and we both use the facilities and get a light snack.

We try to find somewhere interesting to eat lunch and take our time doing so. We often spend that first night at a road side rest stop stopping later in the evening and leaving early in the morning...then the real trip begins!! I find if I get out walk around every two hours I feel better and having checked the tires makes me feel better also!
Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

I would split it and have a relaxing evening with a nice meal. Arriving refreshed makes me a happier camper.
A 10 hr drive easily goes over 11 with stops and traffic.
My DW prefers a happy DH.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i try to stay at no more than 4hrs per day driving
that gets us on the road by 9-10 am stop for lunch and end up near or stop by 2-3 pm
gives me time to stretch and not get so wound up on getting there, but more to enjoy the ride

if time is short i will go 6-7 hrs...but only under protest
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Done it, but don't advise it. Like others, I like to keep my driving time to less than 6 hours per day BUT, I do occasionally drive 7 to 8 depending on where I'm going and the time I have available.

2013 Phaeton 40QBH
Freightliner Chassis/Cummins ISC 380HP
2010 Honda CRV Toad
HHg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Longest run we have done is 27 hrs with two fuel stops, BUT we had 4 drivers and a mini motor home so we could get up walk and make food and go potty we swapped drivers every 3 hours. Made it in time for super bowl party but fell asleep at half time
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
I don't put a time limit on driving time per day. Every road is different. I just drive until I am tired. After driving an RV for a while you will be able to look at the map in the morning an decide just how far you can drive for the day. Mountain 2 lane roads I may be tired in a couple of hours. Interstate maybe I can drive for 5 or 6 hours. You have to adjust it for your pace. I would never try to adjust my daily trip to what some other driver would do.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
We just did a 7hr drive in 10hrs towing. We stopped often to let ourselves get a break and stretch. Coming out of Florida is most of the battle to get anywhere for us. I was fine with 10hrs but it's certainly a long day. I would not go beyond that myself, but everyone is different. The stopping often, really helps but does add to your travel time.

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel 4X4 with Roadmaster Active Suspension, F350 1 3/16" rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks & steering damper.
2012 Sprinter 311BHS
jbenoit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I recently drove (car) from Western WA to Wyoming and had no problem driving 9 hours per day. The trick was to stop every 3-4 hours and grab a coffee, walk around... sit and relax and enjoy the sights. I drive 1.5 hours to work one way though so a 3 hour stint is nothing for me, doing it 3 times is cake. The changing scenery and conversation with my wife keeps me sharp for the day. I'm more apt to fall asleep on my way to work since it is the same boring commute each day. If you can stay alert and sharp I say go for it but stop every few hours to stretch your legs and enjoy the area.
TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
i think it is a highly variable question that takes into consideration the roads, the tow rig setup, the weather, and the need to get there soon. rain or bad weather is more tiring. a border line tow rig can be tiring (towing my puma with my 1/2ton was more tiring than it is now with the 3/4 ton diesel), interstates can go either way, you dont have to focus as much so that can be less tiring BUT you can also slip into a trance...

in may i am heading to grayson highlands sp in VA. about a 10hr trip for me but since i dont have much experience in the mtns towing i plan to stop around raleigh NC for the first night and leave the last ~3hrs of mountain towing until im rested and refreshed.

on the other hand if i was heading to louisiana (which is also a 10hr drive) i would not and have not hesitated to go straight through
chev 2500-LBZ, efilive/dsp5, prodigy P3, equilizer

2006 Palomino Puma 25bh
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Miles vs hours

Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Never towed more than 2 hours in a day but thinking of a 10 hour drive this summer. Ford Expedition towing 26 foot TT. Is that too far in 1 day? DW would likely drive a 2-3 hour piece.
Hi, where are you traveling to? Is your travels going to be on the interstates? 2 lanes? 10 hours should put you out close to a 500 mile range give or take.(not to many brakes)

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote