Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #29

65-66mph, based solely on gas milage

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we had a smaller, lightly loaded trailer, we would run at 70-75. Speed limit was about the same. The 65 limit for tires is based on continuous use and trailer loaded to the max. We kept the trailer significantly lighter than max and inflated the tires to a higher level (10? I forget the amount). Equilizer sway control/WDH which was an overkill to most people with the same trailer.

It is nice to say someone should enjoy the trip and drive 60 mph, but when you have only a week of vacation and you want to travel 600-800 miles in a day, it makes a huge difference. We just couldn't afford 4 days on the road for 4-5 days at our destination.

Now we have a heavier trailer and we live closer to our destinations. We're now traveling at 65 on interstates. On 2 lanes where the speed limit is more than that, we are considerate and pull over when traffic sits behind us. I still remember the days when time camping was a precious limited commodity, and I try to be considerate of those for who it still is. Note we live and travel in the West, so speed limits are higher here. Many interstates are at 80 mph and secondary roads are sometimes 70 mph.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #31

It makes me glad to hear there are drivers with enough skill to drive faster than 55. Excellent!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #32

I tow at 60 or thereabouts. I'm comfortable at that speed.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tow between 55 and 60, depending on the state I'm in.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #34

Tire condition determines speed for me I have worked in the business for over 15 years and tow a lot of units so we tend to haul butt when running. However first thing I check is the tires before I move a inch. On used trailers I carry my inafred temp gun and make at least 3 stops on a long haul. Stop at 10 20 and 50 miles do a quick walk around with the temp gun check hub and sidewall temps if they are all good I will let it roll with traffic what ever that happens to be. Now for the fine print I don't let idiots setup my hitches so my trailer will be hooked up correctly every time for a haul over 10 miles. I can say over the years i have seen thousands of setups going down the road I would not feel safe within a 100 yards of at any speed.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Tire condition determines speed for me I have worked in the business for over 15 years and tow a lot of units so we tend to haul butt when running. However first thing I check is the tires before I move a inch. On used trailers I carry my inafred temp gun and make at least 3 stops on a long haul. Stop at 10 20 and 50 miles do a quick walk around with the temp gun check hub and sidewall temps if they are all good I will let it roll with traffic what ever that happens to be. Now for the fine print I don't let idiots setup my hitches so my trailer will be hooked up correctly every time for a haul over 10 miles. I can say over the years i have seen thousands of setups going down the road I would not feel safe within a 100 yards of at any speed.
So you don't hook up the trailer correct if you are towing under 10 miles?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #36

62 on the interstates. 55 max on open secondary roads. I quit caring how others prefer me to drive a while back.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
I tow at the speed limit up to 65 mph. I tow above that speed when passing or on the downhill side of steep, hilly terrain. I allow the extra speed to save me a bit of time and fuel going up the other side... but I never tow over 65 other than that... To me, it's fast enough to get where I'm going and slow enough to not be too dangerous.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of judgmental folks here eh?

I tow at the posted speed limit, maybe 5 over depending on conditions... if the speed limit is 80mph I tow at 75 because that is the max my tires are rated for at full inflation.

We are all grown-ups here. I can tow as safely at 75mph as I can at 60mph without pissing everyone around me off. It is all about managing distance and accounting for conditions. Adjust for them and you can be safe. And my trailer and truck are rock solid/stable at 75mph. Proper hitch set-up and weight distribution help a lot... towing with an appropriately sized vehicle is also important. If you are towing with a mid-sized truck your "safe" speed is going to be much different than mine depending on your load.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I guess you could say My coworker and I are Pros at towing because that is what the dealership does, is pay Us to deliver and pick up units.
Every day it seems to something different. I'v towed everything from a 18 foot TT to a 36 5er that was bought by a guy that was fulltiming in it.
We always use a Truck bigger than necessary.
As a rule I never drive tow over 65 MPH.
My second week I was moving a 30 foot TT and had a blowout on the trailer at 65 MPH on a straight section of interstate. It was very loud and I could feel the Forward and backward surge. but the trailer didn't more right or left more than a inch or two. Luckily I was 1/2 mile from a rest area so it could be changed out away the side of the road.
We never use the WD bars because it just doesn't seem like the trucks need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Just curious, do you have any favorite brands that seem to tow the best? And which are the worst?
Brands of the Trucks? or the trailers?
The trucks are
99 F250 4X4 7.3L Diesel Ext cab short bed
01 2500 HD 2WD GMC 6.6L Deisel 4 door short bed
05 F350 4X4 6.0L? 6.4L? Diesel crew cab long bed DRW (longest & most stable)
12 F250 4X4 6.7L diesel crew cab short bed

The only trailers that are any better (more stable) than others are the ones with spread axles.
Of course the 5ers are better than bumper pulls over all.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #40

I try to stay aroung 65mph and not get in a hurry. It's all part of the experience that I enjoy. I'm past the go fast part of this life.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
So anyone driving faster than 60 mph is a menace?

I drive at least the speed limit, usually faster, because I like to, I have never checked my mileage, because I don't care what it is, we camp to have fun, not worry about gas mileage.

Yup I feel the same way
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #42

I got passed on the interstate Friday night by a Suburban pulling a TT, maybe 20-24' , said "CUB" on the back... they were running at least 85mph... The trailer was wiggle wagging pretty bad... Unless they were heading to the hospital, that was just st.... ah Dangerous... ... My opinion...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow