Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #71

Not to mention:

"This bulletin provides important information to help your customers obtain the best performance from “Special Trailer” tires. Please review the following important points with your trailer tire customers. Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires: Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #72
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Not to mention:

"This bulletin provides important information to help your customers obtain the best performance from “Special Trailer” tires. Please review the following important points with your trailer tire customers. Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires: Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load."
Yes. This Goodyear Bulletin applies ONLY to Goodyear tires.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #73
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Weight on the tire is the killer, speed isn't. If a tire is rated for 65mph then it can run there all day. Take two trailers. One with 50% of the tires max load and the other at 100% of the load. Run them both at the max speed and the 100% load will wear out faster. Also the tires with the heavier load will run hotter as well. Heat creates more issues than running at the tires max mph rating.
Sorry but tire engineering says that you can't make the simple comparison of % max speed and % max load.

Heat is generated by repeated flexing. At constant load the faster a tire runs the hotter it will get.

Tire wear is the result of highway texture and rubber abrasion not simply looking at the load on a tire.

I will go back the the analogy of engine RPM. If you think it is OK to run an engine at it's red-line all day long, day after day then good luck to you but I don't think you can expect to receive the engine life you would like.

Engine durability testing is done at max power levels not at max RPM according to my contacts at a car mfg Dyno lab.

So bottom line. You can choose to believe what you wish and run whatever speed you want. I would suggest you just not be surprised if you have tire life significantly less than expected or desired.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #74

Any engine should be able to run at red line all day long with no ill effect. Once properly warmed up and later allowed to cool, this is arguably healthier for the engine than idling.
I get what you are saying, but you are playing on a bad example, because by this example any tire should be able to run 65 all day. Also, redline usually has close to 1k rpm of wiggle room before valves start floating and you risk interference.
And I'm off-topic. LOL
Old 12-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Any engine should be able to run at red line all day long with no ill effect. Once properly warmed up and later allowed to cool, this is arguably healthier for the engine than idling.
I get what you are saying, but you are playing on a bad example, because by this example any tire should be able to run 65 all day. Also, redline usually has close to 1k rpm of wiggle room before valves start floating and you risk interference.
And I'm off-topic. LOL
More off topic. When flying an engine is normally only ran at max rpm during take off. When cruising to pull the power back to 70 - 75%. You can run at 100% but you will expect higher fuel consumption and your engine will not make the expected hours before having to be rebuilt.

I have to agree with Tireman. Although I will run at 65 rather than at 70%
Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes. This Goodyear Bulletin applies ONLY to Goodyear tires.
OK, my tires are ST rated, made in China, but not as good as Goodyears that are made in China?

Seriously??
Old 12-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #77
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
OK, my tires are ST rated, made in China, but not as good as Goodyears that are made in China?

Seriously??
The point is that if one company issues a Tech Bulletin specific to one size or line of tires the info in that bulletin should only be relied on for the item mentioned.

Would you follow a Bulletin from Ford on engine maintenance for a 26' Class-C gas model for a 40' DP made by Prevost?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #78

I wonder, what is the top speed of a Prevost?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #79

Like to get where I am going

I know what you mean about the 'professional' truckers. They think they own the roads because it is their 'work space' That's just how stupid they are. They pull out to pass another truck right in front of you, when there is miles of empty road behind you. 90% are jerk offs. I always watched my kids at truck stops; the looks of some of them are beyond weird.

In any case, I slowly speed up until I get a little sway, and then back off a few mph. Level flat interstate, properly loaded, I can usually set my cruise on 70. But I am only towing 3500 lbs. On a long trip it is easy to forget it is back there.

Usually I go much slower. I like to keep up with traffic on the two lanes, because drivers get aggressive when passing. They can't see around you and just take chances, not realizing or caring that you can stop on a dime.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Depends

I want to chime in here, I do not tow TT anymore but did for 20+ years, now I pull toad behind MH and pull it at 60 MAX, but that is due to trans in toad and that is another story...but back to towing.

I used to tow at 60-65 depending on certain factors, one that is unusual to a lot of folks is speed limit, simply said I drive speed limit or less all the time towing, TT or car. That alone is very unusual and never fails to amaze me how annoyed people will get because I do not speed to accommodate them. Again, that is another story. Back on point, towing a TT I was the 60-65 guy in the right lane you were passing by doing 70-75, giving me your "air wake" to deal with. But I was doing so for a reason, I worked for a major tire company for several years, no names here, just suffice to say they make lots of ST tires and RV (MH) tires and fly blimps.... and, like working in an ER I assume, saw all the disasters. I guess that is what formulated my approach. I do not want to drive over the speed rating of any tire, and understand that speed rating is for properly inflated and loaded tires, how many TT owners weigh there rigs. I rarely see any one at campgrounds checking pressure before pull out on TT's, I check mine every time I depart.

I don't want to say that the folks driving by at 75 are unsafe, but may be un-informed. A trailer getting out of hand at 60 can be brought back in line pretty easily with a tap of the trailer brake or wheel correction, at 75 could be an entirely different story.

I drive my MH 55 whenever passengers are with me and toad is on, it is amazing how much more relaxing it is than the stress of keeping things under control at 65, the difference is amazing. And lastly, on long trips I am frequently mentioning to the DW that "this guy has passed my 3 times today", I am going my steady 55 plugging along, they fly by at 70-75, but maybe because they are "making great time" are stopping more often, and I find them passing me 2 or 3 times a day. Happens all the time on I-95 from Fla home to NC.

Slow down, enjoy the trip.

Happy New Year
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #81

Very interesting.......
Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #82

Yesterday evening, I was driving (solo - not towing) north on I 75 out of Gainesville, Florida and traffic was going along at 80 mph. There were a few RVs and semis, that were in the slow lane, that were going 65 to 70 and were getting passed safely. I would have had no problem if I were towing, to be there in the slow lane.

I saw a Chevy Duramax dually, towing a 3 axle Raptor toy hauler, get on the highway and he had no problem getting all the way over to the fast lane. He passed me as I was going 80 in the middle lane. I just shook my head and hoped he would not have a blow out. I can't have imagined why he was going that fast. I hope I never have to tow that fast to get somewhere.

Just a few days earlier, New Years Day to be exact, I was driving the same stretch of highway and as traffic came upon a Highway Patrol car that was hiding on the side of the road, there were a few close calls with everyone slowing suddenly to get back to the speed limit. IF that same scenario had unfolded for that RVer, I believe he would have had problems avoiding the traffic suddenly slowing down.

So, to answer the original question, "How fast do you tow your TT?"
For me - 65 or slower depending on circumstances.
For others? Obviously as fast as they can!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #83

Forest River Owners Club
I live in SW PA and we have a lot of hills .When driving on a interstate I avg. 65 depending on traffic and weather.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #84

Outdoors RV Owners Club
i'm the Jekyll/Hyde type. when towing, 58-60mph in the slow lane is cool with me. we rarely travel more than 5 hours (300 minutes) away so an increase of 10% in speed (6 mph) would only save us 30 minutes travel time. not enough to be concerned with in my book. gonna have to stop for fuel anyway.
traveling empty is another story!

ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow