Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #99

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnLouie View Post
I want to go fast. Why, because I get less reaction time, I can take my eyes off the road more to see the scenery going by faster, and I don't upset the speeding drivers and distract their texting and talking on the phone.

I want to live fast. I want to fast so I am paper thin and acceptable to society. I want to drive fast to show everyone around me that I am fast.

.....just kidding.....

I will continue to drive 55 mph and enjoy the trip. I use my TT and old/new slow non-diesel truck in my line of work. I carry a small compressor and maintain proper tire pressure. I carry all the spare Chinese parts and tools to replace my cheap Chinese wheel bearings at least once a year (I put some miles on). I love this life on the road and have been fortunate enough to experience people and places.

It's all about knowing tires, brakes, axle spindles, bearings, seals, drums, lug nuts, and the tools/materials to maintain and repair.

I drive 55, watch out for others, and maintain my equipment. The result is safe travels with no roadside breakdowns.

Recently, I left Fresno, CA to return to Atlanta. I checked and greased my bearings. I did this in the campground before I left. I did a full wheel and tire inspection while the rims were off.

Arrived home safely and enjoyed the trip.

The Mothership (my trailer) keeps rolling since 2007. Sofia and Lulu say hello to all our friends on the road - and you know who you are.

Well said.
I don't travel the miles that you do but I do try to keep my equipment in tip top shape.
I once changed a car tire (metal debris flat) in Arizona, in August, it was not fun. I travel the road to enjoy it. Wondering if my Chinese wheel bearings/tires will hold up, is not my idea of fun.
So I perform regular maintenance/inspections to avoid it.
It's all about the trip. Short ones for now, until I can retire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
I found this on another thread.

"Stupidity is a lot like dying. It bothers a lot of other people but you don't know about it"

Not saying that towing over the rated speed of the tires for a long while is stupid but where is the line?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #101

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tireman9,
The 2 failures that I had were neither air pressure related nor speed related but rather poor workmanship. 1st were Goodyear marathons with less than 1000 miles that separated the tread, 2 out of 4 less than 2 years old. not overloaded and running cool. The 2nd one was the Goodyear G614 tread separation, tires were running at 140* temps checked within 20 miles of failure, speed was under 65 and load was over 300# under maximum rated, always run maximum pressure and check them before start of trip. Tires were at the end of their lifespan at 6 years Goodyears have been the only trailer tires that I have had problems with.
So manufacturer defects do come into play sometimes.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
What tires are on the trailer?
ST tires are rated for 65 mph max

I tow at 55-60....stay off the big highways if I can
Amen Brother. Amen. I CAN cruise faster but it's like Non-fat, Decaf Latte with artificial sweetener: a "Why bother"
WanderingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #103

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA state if you are towing anything then you are limited to the truck speed limits which is usually 60 mph on the freeways. I tow an Odyssey and stick pretty close to the limit but I constantly get passed by people pulling their TT's far faster than that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #104

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Tireman9,
The 2 failures that I had were neither air pressure related nor speed related but rather poor workmanship. 1st were Goodyear marathons with less than 1000 miles that separated the tread, 2 out of 4 less than 2 years old. not overloaded and running cool. The 2nd one was the Goodyear G614 tread separation, tires were running at 140* temps checked within 20 miles of failure, speed was under 65 and load was over 300# under maximum rated, always run maximum pressure and check them before start of trip. Tires were at the end of their lifespan at 6 years Goodyears have been the only trailer tires that I have had problems with.
So manufacturer defects do come into play sometimes.
Frank
Sorry but the fact that you had 2 tires fail with tread (or belt?) separations is not sufficient proof of a manufacturing defect. What was the evidence of the defect? Failure is a condition but not evidence of a defect. Was the rubber compound incorrect? Was there some form of contamination between the various layers? Did each tire have your suspected defect in the same component of the tire? i.e. Top belt, Bottom belt, body cord, or tread compound?

As I have pointed out in my blog on tires in trailer application there are numerous contributing factors to separations in the belt/tread area of the tire.

The likelihood of the same manufacturing defect occurring in a Marathon and a G614 without also occurring in 10% of 40% or 100% of the rest of the tires made on that day and in that plant are pretty insignificant and in my experience not supported by evidence.

I have personally discovered manufacturing defect but with proper investigation was able to determine that only 149 tires built on one day in one size at one plant on one tire assembly machine had the improper material used in the process. A recall was done as the failure rate would have been 100% if the tires had all been applied. Luckily fewer than 50 had made it to the point of being applied to vehicles.

The fact that something failed is simply not sufficient proof in itself that the product had a defect.

Finally if you actually believe the tires had defects did you return them to Goodyear so they could inspect and take appropriate action? or did you file complaint with NHTSA so they could add the info to their database and possibly use the numbers to justify an investigation and possible recall? Failing to report suspect defective products is not helping the RV community to get better quality products on our units.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #105

Freightliner Owners Club
tireman9,
First tire wasn't anything left but the beads and a few inches of sidewall, so I ate that one, my fault, didn't see the pieces in my mirror, second one I caught before total failure and returned it to the tire dealer. The G614, I was told by the dealer that they wouldn't warranty it, it was too old, which is fine with me because I went with 17.5" wheels and
Cooper engineered Roadmaster commercial trailer tires, so my dealings with Goodyear tires is forever over with. I worked many years in my younger days in tire shops, so even though I didn't work in the manufacturing end, I worked in the service end and know how to take care of my tires, Those have been the only failures that I have had, and I am not the only one that has had problems with the same brand, style and size of tire which leads me to believe that there is something amiss with the manufacturer, not the consumer in this instance. Don't know if it is quality control, engineering, chemical, or processing, and really don't care, it is the manufacturer that has the problem. Now maybe they have found the problem and corrected it, I don't know, but I do know that after eating 2 expensive tires through no fault of my own, Goodyear has seen the last of my dollars.
Frank
Old 01-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #106

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
tireman9,
First tire wasn't anything left but the beads and a few inches of sidewall, so I ate that one, my fault, didn't see the pieces in my mirror, second one I caught before total failure and returned it to the tire dealer. The G614, I was told by the dealer that they wouldn't warranty it, it was too old, which is fine with me because I went with 17.5" wheels and
Cooper engineered Roadmaster commercial trailer tires, so my dealings with Goodyear tires is forever over with. I worked many years in my younger days in tire shops, so even though I didn't work in the manufacturing end, I worked in the service end and know how to take care of my tires, Those have been the only failures that I have had, and I am not the only one that has had problems with the same brand, style and size of tire which leads me to believe that there is something amiss with the manufacturer, not the consumer in this instance. Don't know if it is quality control, engineering, chemical, or processing, and really don't care, it is the manufacturer that has the problem. Now maybe they have found the problem and corrected it, I don't know, but I do know that after eating 2 expensive tires through no fault of my own, Goodyear has seen the last of my dollars.
Frank
OK so with more information we now know that the first tire suffered a "Three Piece Flex Failure" This is what happens when the tire is run significantly low on air (like when you get a cut or puncture of the valve fails)

or this

Close examination will probably show melted body cord like this

unless the failure is on a trailer where the driver gets no immediate warning so the evidence is destroyed after a mile or so of continued driving.

RE 2nd tire. Did it look like the above? If so then the same condition results from the same root cause.
Exactly how does being "too old" which I assume meant no longer covered by warranty, equate to a manufacturing defect?

I have detailed examples and analysis results on my blog if you want the facts on tire failure and analysis.

Getting a puncture does not imply "Fault" on the owner's part other than the idea that with a TPMS the driver would get a warning of air loss due to cut / puncture etc and be able to stop before the tire and RV sustained damage. I consider this much as having the oil pressure gauge or water temp gauge not working, the driver not taking the steps to have a working warning indicator. There being a rock strike that causes the radiator to leak water or a hose leaks or gasket failure and the engine "Blows-UP" from being run for many miles after the damage.

If you don't think having a low pressure warning system to monitor tire inflation I would ask why you bother to have temperature and pressure gauges in the TV. Maybe you could try the experiment of taping over those gauges and seeing how comfortable you are about not knowing if everything was OK in the engine.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #107

Freightliner Owners Club
tireman9,
I cannot argue about the first tire, other than the beads looked good, no evidence of low air. The second failure the tread had bubbles(tread separation) all the way around the tire, no loss of air, in fact the air pressure was at sidewall max.(I checked it).
The 3rd failure a loud kboom and I saw the entire tread leave the side of the trailer, I had checked them less than 20 miles before the failure. The tire dealer said that at 6 years old there is no warranty and wouldn't even look at it. I do not dispute that TPMS systems may have their place, but I have had vehicles with them and they do not always tell you what they should. I am old school and don't trust them. I do not abuse my tires and take good care of them. I do not like changing tires on the side of the road. I get very few flat tires, like 3 or 4 over 40 years of driving, and check my tires every time I stop, I either take the infrared or back of the hand to check for heat and also visual to see if everything looks ok, that is how I found the 2nd failure before it came apart. By the way, I don't trust digital gauges either, I like analog.
Frank
Old 01-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #108

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok. I am new to pulling a trailer. I see 18 wheelers going between 70 and 80 all the time. I figured the much smaller trailer I am pulling should be able to do the same. Although when I am on the road (expedition with HD tow package) seems to struggle to maintain 72.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #109

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I tow at the posted speed limit.
Agreed!
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #110

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Ok. I am new to pulling a trailer. I see 18 wheelers going between 70 and 80 all the time. I figured the much smaller trailer I am pulling should be able to do the same. Although when I am on the road (expedition with HD tow package) seems to struggle to maintain 72.
Sorry but tire size alone is NOT a good indicator of its speed capability.

With only a very very few exceptions you will find that LT type tires and TBR (truck-Bus Radials i.e. big stuff) are rated for 75 mph in RV application. ST type tires are rated for 65 mph

I suggest you treat tire Max speed rating as you would your engine redline. You may be able to exceed the redline but is that a good practice?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #111

Commercial Member

Onstar20 agrees with Timetogo on running the highway posted limit.

OK so following the logic that a speed limit that is based on road design for regular vehicles is the proper for towing it follows then that since we have bridges posted as allowing 80,000 lbs means you can load your 25' TT to 80,000.

Good luck with that.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #112

I need to haul 113 cu ft of lead. Apparently it will fit on a 25' trailer easily. I'll keep an eye on the tach.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow