Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I travel at highway speeds. generally it is sixtyfive but have run at seventy for hours on end. when we get out we check the tires with the ir gun. keep my tiers pumped to the max on the trailer. generally are loaded at 70 percent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #114

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Tireman. What other prevent add on's should we be looking for? Wiper blade material sensor/drive belt sensors? Have ever had a radiator start leaking so bad while you were driving you were glad you kept your eye on the water temp gauge.Do we have so many travel trailer tire issues we need a tire pressure sensor system? Put tape over your gauges if you are not going to install tire pressure sensors. Please. Having to worry about all these things just might take the fun out of RVing
Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #115

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Onstar20 agrees with Timetogo on running the highway posted limit.

OK so following the logic that a speed limit that is based on road design for regular vehicles is the proper for towing it follows then that since we have bridges posted as allowing 80,000 lbs means you can load your 25' TT to 80,000.

Good luck with that.
Nonsense !
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #116

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I travel at highway speeds. generally it is sixtyfive but have run at seventy for hours on end. when we get out we check the tires with the ir gun. keep my tiers pumped to the max on the trailer. generally are loaded at 70 percent.
If you reviewed the data on my blog post on IR guns you know that you are not getting the hot spot. You also now know you have a very high probability of not hitting the identical spot so relative temp readings can be off be 20 to 40°F
But if that is good enough for you then go for it.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #117

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Tireman. What other prevent add on's should we be looking for? Wiper blade material sensor/drive belt sensors? Have ever had a radiator start leaking so bad while you were driving you were glad you kept your eye on the water temp gauge.Do we have so many travel trailer tire issues we need a tire pressure sensor system? Put tape over your gauges if you are not going to install tire pressure sensors. Please. Having to worry about all these things just might take the fun out of RVing
Deciding which warnings you need is a trade off between cost and potential benefit. With all the complaints about tires on this and other RV forums it seems that there are a number of owners that are not happy when a tire fails. Sometimes the tire failure can do thousands of dollars damage. Other times it only causes a couple hour delay and a couple hundred in un-planned expense. You have to decide.
All I can do is offer the facts and my opinion based on 40 years as a tire Design and Quality Engineer. If you choose to ignore experience based advice you are free to do so. All I would ask is that those that choose to ignore it just not complain when they have problems that could have been prevented.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #118

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
Nonsense !

You're right and that was the the intent of the post. To show the fallacy of using highway limits in place of the tire specifications.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #119

I came upon one of those people that wasn't towing to slow. He had his 4 ways on and his toad was missing a tire and half a fender. Did you get hit ? NO, must have had a flat, was going 80 and couldn't slow down quick enough. (red flag) Wanted help, I gave him the milemarker and wished him luck.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess we all have our values and pick our battles based on them. What is one persons speed limit is another persons starting point. It all comes down to past experience and how daring one feels.

The expression "hold my beer and watch" this had to have come from events that actually have occurred. They have countless TV programs with titles like 'what were they thinking' featuring this. I hope these were not re-enactments.

IMO we should be following manufacturers specifications. There are all too many expressing disgust at the quality of manufacturers building recreational vehicles. About how we should be getting better construction for the price we are paying and on and on.

What makes tire manufacturers quality control or quality assurance any better???? I really do not get the cavalier attitude regarding tire capacities, tire loading, GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, You are betting your life, the lives of your family and the lives of people around you that the specifications determined by the manufacturers are not applicable.

I would just as soon not hold your beer thank you.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #121

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You're right and that was the the intent of the post. To show the fallacy of using highway limits in place of the tire specifications.
Max speed limit for TT in Ca is 55.
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:55 AM   #122

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone got it
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #123

Last trailer tire failure was over 12 years ago. Took me many trailer tire failures before realising that trailer tires do not have enough rubber protecting the cords. Moved to LT tires and never had any failures and speed has never been a concern. But for safety I travel a bit under the traffic speed to allow the passing cars to leave my front space growing instead of being filled by unconcerned motorist. No one cares that I need 2 to 3 carlenght per 10 mph speed to be safe. I rater let the traffic run away from me then fighting traffic with a 40 ft trailer in tow. I never worry about the tailgaters as long as I travel faster then speed limit or above 60 mph.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #124

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Speed

Thanks for all of the education. Have been driving cars and trucks for over 40 years, with no concerns of whether or not the tires could handle normal road speeds. there is so much to learn wit TT's which is not obvious. .one would expect that the tires that come on the vehicle would be able to handle all of the posted speed limits around the country. With all the expenses associated with a new trailer, I did not expect to have to replace the stock tires in the first year. This is quite an education.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #125

Commercial Member

Quote:
Glad to hear CA has a reasonable limit. Have to wonder how often RVs get pulled over.

The problem with a blanket "drive the posted limits" is that some states do not differentiate between towing RVs and not towing.

Also not sure if a 40' "House trailer" is considered the same as a 24' RV by either the police or the person towing.

Some are "70 or as posted"

ST tires are designed by the manufacturer to pass certain tests. One of which would be speed test. With a industry standard of 65 it seems pretty obvious that people should never drive above that. But I'm only a Tire Engineer, what do I know?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #126

I've spent many hours on interstates with 80mph speed limits for all vehicles. Traffic moves smoothly and I don't recall any TT's on the side of the road with tire failures. Just lucky I guess.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow