Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Smile How have you customized your trailer?

Hi All;
We have been busily researching different trailer manufactures, sizes and floor plans for our planned full timing planned for shortly after the first of the year. After finding out the safe towing capacity of our truck, we thought we had it pretty well narrowed down to a rear living, single slide type until we began to plan storage.
My wife sews (quilts, curtains, purses, horse blankets, etc) and needs more room. Lately we have discovered bunkhouse models, and as there’s just the two of us, think the bunk space is rather easily customized/converted into more valuable storage or work space on a lot of them.
This got us thinking that there just has to be a whole lot of folks that work/hobby out of their trailer and must have done some really neat things to their trailers to make life easier.
So, if you have made changes or customized your castle, please share with the rest of us, after all, “imitation is the highest form of flattery”.
Pictures please!
Thanks,
Et Cetera

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Oh wow, good idea about using the bunkhouse! I never thought along those lines. I do quilting and sewing as well, just figure I will use the kitchen table. Am working out the storage.
Cindy

Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

Question

Boy! I must be naive, I thought this forum was active. Perhaps y'all have gone into winter hibernation? I can't believe everyone just buys their TT and never changes a thing.
Here are a few photos of how one guy organized his pick up for full timing. I think he nailed it.
Comments?
EtCetera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John_slide1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	15445   Click image for larger version

Name:	johnslide_2.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	15446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	John_slide3.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	15447  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera
Boy! I must be naive, I thought this forum was active. Perhaps y'all have gone into winter hibernation? I can't believe everyone just buys their TT and never changes a thing.
Here are a few photos of how one guy organized his pick up for full timing. I think he nailed it.
Comments?
EtCetera
Wow, a whole section dedicated to bug spray! Mosquitos must be running rampant around there.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

I've replaced the hand-crank tung Jack with an electric one. Also, I cut the handle off my rear leveling Jack hand crank and use it in my 18v drill. No more hand cranking for me! In addition, I replaced the interior halogen lighting with leg's and in stalled a battery cutoff switch.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changes and Upgrades

I have done the following:

-Changed all lights, both interior and exterior with LED's what a difference.

- Changed the jack to a 3500 LB power jack

- Got fed up with no tv reception and installed a Wingard Carryout satelite dish
on top of my roof ladder.

- Installed a satelite radio that plays through the stereo system

I have not upgraded the Misses. After this long married I get more excited about upgrading the RV.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't had mine long enough to major changes YET. Mostly just fixing what PO's have screwed up. I did make curtains for the cab over area to keep the sun out.

Et Cetera; What does all that weigh?
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #8

"I haven't had mine long enough to major changes YET. Mostly just fixing what PO's have screwed up. I did make curtains for the cab over area to keep the sun out.
Et Cetera; What does all that weigh?"

Sorry, not my truck (or me ) but I'll bet it isn't as heavy as it looks.
Keep the ideas coming!

etc
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

I changed the original analog furnace thermostat for a digital one. 10 minute job and $19 at Walmart. Makes a huge difference in ease of keeping the temperature where I want it. I hardwired a 400 watt inverter next to the tv so I can watch tv when boobdocking. Haven't actually used it for that purpose yet to see how much juice it will consume. Installed splash guards where the edge of the shower pan meets the wall to keep water from going on the floor. Works great. Added a cut-off switch for the house batteries to keep them from draining while the rig is stored. Works as intended. Added a gas line outlet by the propane tanks so I can hookup the grill there. Saves me from buying the little 1lb bottles.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #10

We added a TV wall mount in the bedroom & a 22" TV/DVD & put the power jack on from old (2006) camper. Bought a gen. for our NASCAR trip this past summer (our 1st time). Bought & installed a flag pole mount & 18' pole for the "A" frame near tanks for our NASCAR driver's flags.
2003 Ram 1500 QC 2X4 Hemi 3:55 Replaced with
2014 Ram 1500 QC 4X4 Hemi 3:92
2011 KZ S261RK Sportsmen
3andacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #11

As we live fulltime in our trailer (myself plus the wife and 4 kids), we were looking for storage space anywhere we could find it. One of my favorites is the area underneath the oven. It had a false panel which, when removed, gave us access to more single area space than any other cabinet in the kitchen area. We bought a cabinet doorface from the clearance section in Ikea for 99 cents that fit perfectly (and 'almost' matches as well).
Also, we hung six lightweight cloth boxes we found in Ikea's clearance area for $1.99 each (found them on the same trip!!) from the ceiling in the livingroom area to store some smaller items. Gained ~9 cubic feet of storage space for about $20!
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #12

That's a good idea (using the space under the oven).
But, I wouldn't store my popcorn in there
Seriously, since most RV'ers don't seem to use the oven, it's probably a great choice, just make sure something flammable doesn't get stored in there.
Next time the oven is used, I'd be taking the temp in the new storage area.
The hanging shelves sound good too. How bout some pic's?
Keep the idea's coming!

Etc
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #13

New TT owner here, What are "house batterys" My trailer has one battery up front behind the two gas (propane) bottles. Are there others I have not discovered yet? Why do you want to disconnect them? I keep my TT pluged into the house current. I had a 30 amp cmpsite recepticle installed near where we park the camper. Thanks for indulging my ignorance. Jimm Zi/
Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Added a 2nd generator start switch; instead of 1 group 24 house battery, now have 4 group 27 house batteries; have Bosch relays and a hot lead from the chassis battery to a box at the rear to power the toad tail and brake lights. Added an accumulator tank to the water system.