Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Only set up 3 times so far and always solo. The longest it's taken me is 20 minutes including taking the hitch off the truck and stowing it.

J & D in windy Amarillo
2010 Shadow Cruiser 186 BFS
2011 F-150 Supercab

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
Are most sites level (for the most part)?
They usually are in the resorts, but the State CGs and COE CGs may not be. That place Poole Knobs (LaVergne TN) I've mentioned several times is on the rustic side and the rigs generally need leveling. Lebanon State Park in Labanon TN has some nice level sites. Many are pull through.

It can take us anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to hook up and finally sit down with a cold beverage or fresh hot coffee. While DH does the outside work I'm inside getting everything set-up.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill n Jan
On average 15 - 20 minutes, leveled, jacks down, water and electric hooked up, awning out and truck unhooked.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then we put the slide and the awning out, turn on the pump, make sure refer switches to electric, the outside table set up, the ice machine has to be put on the table and filled, tablecloths put on and secured, thermometer put out, shepherds hooks with candle lanterns need to be put out, rugs need to be unfurled, chairs need to be set up, lights need to be put up on the awning, the rod for the swing arm grill has to be pounded into ground, firewood has to be taken off the truck and piled up, etc. Inside has to have the strap taken off the free standing chairs, refer bars removed, TP holder put out, garbage cans put in the bathroom and living room, throw rugs unfurled, antenna up, soap dispensers put out, etc. there are ALL sorts of things to be done after that initial 20 minutes.....
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudinator

Yeah, that sounds about right. Then we put the slide and the awning out, turn on the pump, make sure refer switches to electric, the outside table set up, the ice machine has to be put on the table and filled, tablecloths put on and secured, thermometer put out, shepherds hooks with candle lanterns need to be put out, rugs need to be unfurled, chairs need to be set up, lights need to be put up on the awning, the rod for the swing arm grill has to be pounded into ground, firewood has to be taken off the truck and piled up, etc. Inside has to have the strap taken off the free standing chairs, refer bars removed, TP holder put out, garbage cans put in the bathroom and living room, throw rugs unfurled, antenna up, soap dispensers put out, etc. there are ALL sorts of things to be done after that initial 20 minutes.....
X2 Trudinator! I consider set up complete when all this (and more) is done! It can take us up to an hour. Once the TT is unhitched and level, DH does the outside while I work inside. Then there are the new neighbors that come over to welcome you to the neighborhood! We will always take a few minutes of our time to make new friends! We try to get to our site right when check-in time starts, usually early afternoon. That way, we get everything just as we want it before we start cooking dinner. After we eat, it's finally time to start the relaxing part. It sounds like a lot of work, but we enjoy doing it and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri330

X2 Trudinator! I consider set up complete when all this (and more) is done! It can take us up to an hour. Once the TT is unhitched and level, DH does the outside while I work inside. Then there are the new neighbors that come over to welcome you to the neighborhood! We will always take a few minutes of our time to make new friends! We try to get to our site right when check-in time starts, usually early afternoon. That way, we get everything just as we want it before we start cooking dinner. After we eat, it's finally time to start the relaxing part. It sounds like a lot of work, but we enjoy doing it and wouldn't change a thing.
But this set up sure beats all the crap we had to unpack when we tented for 20+ years! We didn't "rough it" by any stretch of the imagination. Porta potty, two 25-lb cots, a kitchen set up with 3 tables under an easy-up, cast iron stove that weighed a ton (but can boil a huge pot of water in 3 minutes), two wooden kitchen boxes that held all of our kitchen gear, umpteen rubbermaid containers, clothing, bedding, fire "stuff" (grates, tools, pie irons, etc.). It took us a good 4 hours to get all set up. I usually needed a shower afterwards. I vote for the TT any day!!
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That depends on what you call level!

Since our DSDP is 41' long, 6" out of level is too much, for a shorter rig it's no problem.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #21

When we had our bumper pull, took 45 mins to an hour. It was old, and I had to crawl under each corner with screw jack to stabilize it. Had to break down the WD hitch, and away bar. Plus, the awning was gimpy, so it took some effort.
Now, with the new fiver, based on what I've seen taking it from the storage unit, home, and back, im guessing 20 mins. Maiden voyage is Tuesday of next week.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudinator View Post
Good point - I guess it could depend upon what is included in setting up.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #23

about 30 minutes from the time I unhook from the truck till my butt hits the chair finished.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #24

Thank you all for the responses, that helped a lot!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #25

Personally, I really enjoy setting up. I have just as much fun hooking, unhooking, setting up and tearing down as i do camping. So, even if it takes me a while, thats just fine.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #26

I guess it might just be me, but set up and tear down can take a few minutes or a few hours. We usually unload the boys bikes or fishing poles, etc first and send them off to play. Then the wife and myself start the set up, depending if the boys are playing good we take our time and enjoy the piece and quite, and just watching them play.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #27

Quote:
That depends on how old the camp ground is. Some are meticulesly kept up, and then there are those that are not. and some times you will use a few borads on one side or the other to keep the bubble in the middle. Thats what makes it an adventure! And I just love to encounter those old retired "lighthouse keepers" next door their stories are a never ending source of entertainment. Also for us nubies, they are a great help too.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #28

I forgot to mention setting up in the rain. (thats what rain coats were made for) I have yet to take our TT out and not have rain to contend with. If there is lightning, I leave it hooked up and don't put anything on the ground. Then the jacks and landing gear goes down and leveled up. Be safe