Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
I know that a trailer should last for many years, but my wife and I are getting close to retirement and want to full time. We have talked for a long time about buying our "final" trailer to live in, but the thought occurred to me-what if we love the lifestyle and wear out the trailer? We currently own a 7 year old Mobile Scout that is getting a little bit worn. Full time use will be much harder on a trailer, so even though we will buy the best trailer that we can afford, some day it's going to wear out. Anybody got an idea how long that may be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I know that a trailer should last for many years, but my wife and I are getting close to retirement and want to full time. We have talked for a long time about buying our "final" trailer to live in, but the thought occurred to me-what if we love the lifestyle and wear out the trailer? We currently own a 7 year old Mobile Scout that is getting a little bit worn. Full time use will be much harder on a trailer, so even though we will buy the best trailer that we can afford, some day it's going to wear out. Anybody got an idea how long that may be?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #3

Good question and thoughts to ponder. If it has a rubber roof and lots of seams, then you are looking at significant maint. I mean sealing and the like.The basic question is use vs design, I feel an airstream will outlive any conventional construction now on on the market.Casita, Bigfoot and the all fiberglass boat type models will do better than sandwich type models. We went with HiLo because if you tow in all conditions, slippery is best.Remember, wind is the enemy of any long distance trip. It is always present and out to challenge you. So, in my opinion go with the larhgest truck and most aero trailer you can. Life expectancy is probably beyond what we will see anyway.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My in laws have a 1978 Silver Streak (like an upscale Air Stream) and it is in great shape. Been carpeted and updated in side a few times, but the coach is holding up great.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #5

There are so many variables it's impossible to say, but as TXiceman said, with care, a sound maintence schedule, and most importantly beginning with a quality RV, it will last a long time. You really do get what your pay for!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:20 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
We had a 1996 Wilderness TT just until this past May. We bought it at an RV show in 1995, so it was a full 10 years old when we sold it. I did regular maintenance on it and fixed anything that broke immediately. The only major items repaired were the leaf springs and the water heater controller. Everything else workd flawlessly. When we sold it we had towed it all over the company and put more than 60,000 miles on it. We had 2 kids and went on extended vacations each summer. The exterior was beginning to show wear, but was not in bad shape for a 10 year old trailer. I did recoat the rubber roof once, 4 years ago. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:04 AM   #7

Hi,
What do you mean by "sandwich type" model?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocinante:
Good question and thoughts to ponder. If it has a rubber roof and lots of seams, then you are looking at significant maint. I mean sealing and the like.The basic question is use vs design, I feel an airstream will outlive any conventional construction now on on the market.Casita, Bigfoot and the all fiberglass boat type models will do better than sandwich type models. We went with HiLo because if you tow in all conditions, slippery is best.Remember, wind is the enemy of any long distance trip. It is always present and out to challenge you. So, in my opinion go with the larhgest truck and most aero trailer you can. Life expectancy is probably beyond what we will see anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sandwich construction is a way of making a lightwieght TT. You simply make a sandwich out of Filon, Foam, and Luan. There are no studs in the walls. You will find this is what are called ultralightwights or lightweights. The older tried and true construction involves a full frame (either wood or alum) with blocking around the windows, doors, and cabinets to which an inner luan board is applied followed by insulation and then an exterior of filon or alum siding. Most rigs have a wood roof covered with a tough rubber material.

Casita and Bigfoot are made more like a boat. They are made entirely of fiberglass and are molded in two halves - Casita are right and left while Bigfoot is top and bottom. These rigs are quite heavy for their short lengths.

Airstreams are made using aircraft style construction. Alum frames with alum skin rivited to it.

I have owned four TTs my first was a '67 Kit I bought used in '83 and traded in '86 for a Komfort Lite. Both of these were wood frame, alum skin, alum roof. The Kit had a small roof seam leak when I bought it - it was easy to fix. The Komfort had no problems until 96 when it developed a leak around a front clearence light during the winter. I traded it in '98 for a Trail Lite - sandwich construction. Which lasted just over a year before developing several leaks. I now have a 05 Arctic Fox that has wood frame with filon skin and rubber roof.

I prefer this style of construction and have had no problems so far.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
If you are going to fulltime be sure to buy a "fulltime rig". I am always amazed at people who try to live full time in a vacation model rig. The roads in this country are horrible and will vibrate the "H" out of any rig but a light weight rig and full time exposure to the elements will wear our a camper a lot faster than a house. Be prepared to purchase a new one down the road. I am not so sure one rig will last you your expected usage. Many people in our camping club are trying to sell their current rigs and they are not selling. Most owe more than the rig is worth. So please consider the use and make sure that if you become too ill to live in a camper that the economics support the decision. You should be able to take a complete loss on the camper and still have enought money for all living expenses including medical.

Food for thought - Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #10

We're not fulltimers, but I talked to one at a campground and he was telling me that one thing they looked for in an RV was slideouts, but, with the ability to get around in it with the slideouts in. It makes sense if you have to stop somewhere and can't slide your slideouts out.

Just my .02.

2007 Outback 26RLS
venatic is offline   Reply With Quote