Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
How long will furnace run off battery?

I tried searching but couldn’t get much off this silly app. Planning a trip from St. Louis to myrtle beach in early March. We will be staying overnight in Knoxville on the way there and Nashville on the way back. In an attempt to save money, we may do a Walmart parking lot on one or both of those nights. If we decide to do that, can we run the furnace , fridge on propane, slide out once and in once, and occasional inside lights off our one deep cycle battery? What research should I do to decide if we will wake up frozen with no heat? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2182.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	211081
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #2

A lot of variables .

Outside temp , RV insulation , inside temp . etc

Biggest is the capacity of your current battery?
I'd recommend an upgrade to a pair of golf cart 6 volt .

I boon docked at -23f for one night in my Triple E , fifth wheel , great insulation , two 6 volt golf cart batteries, inside temp set to 58 and furnace was running about 10 mins on 20 off all night with no battery problems.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
How long will furnace run off battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A lot of variables .

Outside temp , RV insulation , inside temp . etc

Biggest is the capacity of your current battery?
I'd recommend an upgrade to a pair of golf cart 6 volt .

I boon docked at -23f for one night in my Triple E , fifth wheel , great insulation , two 6 volt golf cart batteries, inside temp set to 58 and furnace was running about 10 mins on 20 off all night with no battery problems.

Thanks for the tip, however we don’t plan to do this sort of thing often enough to do major upgrades to boondock. I’d rather just pay $20-30 for a cheap campground for overnight hookup and dump station. Thanks for the info though.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #4

The furnace blower requires alot of power. If you have the larger group 29 or 31 battery you have a chance to stay warm.

I had a small group 24 fully charged battery when I stopped on a cold night in South Carolina. I stopped around midnight. I warmed up the trailer, set the thermostat on 72 and went to sleep. I woke up at 5:00am cold with the battery drained.

I have no faith in a small weak group 24 battery.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

2 batteries (and good batteries) will be worlds better than 1. Keep in mind you can always use your TV as somewhat of a generator. Run the vehicle and get the trailer nice and warm right before bed and then hope for the best. In the morning you can always fire up the TV again. Unless your battery is just terrible you should make it through most or all of the night.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

I take my rv out up until November hunting season here in Ontario, and it gets plenty cool that time of year as well. If Im parked and didnt start my generator, my two batteries would last most of two nights. The second night can be sketchy depending on how often the furnace is coming on. I find it better to just run the genny for three or four hours a day to keep the coach warm with electric heaters, and run the propane furnace at night. If you are travelling each day, your truck should top up the battery each day. Im sure myrtle beach isnt going to be too cold that time of year. If it is, like you said, grab a campground for the night. I like to use electric heaters when Im on the campgrounds paid electricity.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We ran our 5er overnight on one 12 volt battery. Cant recall the size but think it was somewhere around 750 amps. Stayed overnight in a blizzard and still had power in the morning. Still had power to start the generator in the morning.

Additional resource
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/gas-f...fan-28296.html
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get two 6v flooded cell batteries for your trailer. Piece of mind at least.

Your comfort is secondary to having the temps drop and freeze your water lines and break stuff.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Peace of mind is paying $20 for a cheap campsite and plugging in for a night. Not looking to make any upgrades at this time. We aren’t boondockers, just wondering if we can go cheap for one night on our way across the country but from doing more research, I’m not comfortable with doing that. I’ll be sticking with campsites for now. Thanks for your input everyone, and that link shared was fantastic!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #10

Just measured our Minnie's power consumption

I recently installed a Victron battery monitor and found our 2019 Winnebago Minnie's furnace uses 6.1 amps while running. The fan alone used 5.6 amps.
JM0278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

If you have a Grp24 battery you will likely wake up frozen with no heat. A little info would help when asking specific questions like "how long will furnace run off battery" such as battery size, type and AH rating....
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do everything possible while the TV is running. Get it warm inside. Then turn the heater off and go to bed. First thing in the morning start the TV and run the heat and pull in the slide.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Thanks guys, as per my previous post, this thread guided me in a great direction, as this forum always does. My vague question paid off with enough information to make me not certain enough to try it with a 2 year old kiddo.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
First, when stopping overnight at WalMart, etc., putting out slide is tacky as hell and leads to the lot being a ‘no overnight parking’ area. Key is to keep temp setting warm enough to keep things from freezing and just add blankets. Best bet, use Passport America and plug in for the night.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, furnace