RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

How low should trailer front be when parked?

First time owner here. I'm wondering, when parked, how low should the front of the trailer rest on the tongue and foot? For example, our camper is currently parked with the foot set at such a low position that the camper is visibly angled forward. Should I raise the tongue jack so that the camper is parked more level or should I keep most of the weight on the tongue, as I have it currently?

Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
First time owner here. I'm wondering, when parked, how low should the front of the trailer rest on the tongue and foot? For example, our camper is currently parked with the foot set at such a low position that the camper is visibly angled forward. Should I raise the tongue jack so that the camper is parked more level or should I keep most of the weight on the tongue, as I have it currently?
I always park my TT as level as I can get it. That includes winter storage.

davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

If you are running the fridge, the camper should always be as level as possible. It you are just parking it, with nothing on inside a slight lean is ok for water drainage. I just generally always park everything level. Easier for putting stuff inside or working on something.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

It doesn't matter what angle you have the trailer at, the same weight is on the tongue. So just level it (mostly). I actually stored mine slightly tongue high so rain ran off the back.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

If a trailer is angled my thought is water would run in a way that is not good for the trailer. I try to level as good as I can always. Front to back is easy so just raise the tongue jack.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

Wheel CHOCKS....both sides so trailer doesn't move

THEN level it.

Driveway no different then if your were at a CG Site, Boondocking or even placing it in storage/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
It doesn't matter what angle you have the trailer at, the same weight is on the tongue. .
False. With no other changes, the tongue goes up, the weight on it goes down.
Unless I'm camping in it, I leave the tongue at whatever height I unhooked, just like other trailers. This does put the run-off cause soft spots behind trailer, where I don't need to pull thru them. But if mine sets for a month I'm not happy.
But I have a block under the jack so it does not extend as far...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

The trailer is like a child's See Saw.

It sits balanced, except the offset for tongue weight, on the axle or axles.

It would take a significant angle, up or down, to effect the weight on the tongue jack.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
According to the level on my phone ours is parked for the winter nose down about 3-4 degrees, parallel with the concrete slab it's parked on. I'm quite confident the tongue's frame is robust enough to support any weight shift there might be. The jack is rated for 3500 pounds. I think you're fine.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The trailer is like a child's See Saw.

It sits balanced, except the offset for tongue weight, on the axle or axles.

It would take a significant angle, up or down, to effect the weight on the tongue jack.
That depends on high the weight is, and how close to center of axles...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Level all the time. It's designed to function at near level as possible.
2011 250SD Lariat Crew, 6.7L 3:73 Husky CenterLine
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the fridge is on during this time, the trailer should be level. If the fridge is off, it doesn't matter.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm assuming the OP is referring to when his RV is parking in his driveway. Since my driveway slopes very very slightly uphill, I'll angle the RV trailer just enough for the rain water to run towards the tongue.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #14

I raise mine till I'm just slightly nose high of level. I want any rain/snow melt running off the back of the trailer and not the front.

Tags
trailer