Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Sell it outright yourself. Put a fair price on it. Trade it in you better hang on. You will get the shaft.

We sold our 18 month old TT, private party sale...we still lost over 30% of our original sale price (this number was not MSRP)
Trade-in was going to be MUCH worse. The specific number varies on the deal you make on the next RV.

The issue with private party sales is the tire kickers and low ballers...it is not an easy thing to do.

Consignment is typically better than a trade-in for $$, but is a risk when the consignment lot is not working hard for their commission (ads, qualified salesmen, etc.).

Trade-in is easiest, of course. But, as the OP selected for the thread title...you'll take a bath

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Not such a big deal to inquire about a trade.

Find out the difference in price, and make up your mind.

Remember! If you sell, then buy-you pay more Sales Tax than if you Trade. (its that way in Fla, anyway-you pay tax on the diff)

Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
it will be based on the NADA wholesale with no options.
I just found that out yesterday, it is rediculous they don't take option into account.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #18

How much of a bath can we expect at trade?

I'd say it might just depend on your back pocket!!

I've traded a few times. Some because we just found something we liked better. One time because of defective unit.

But to think you will come out on the top end on a trade is wishful thinking. If you can enjoy what you have till it gets a few years on it is probably the best option.

Sometimes if you just don't like a unit (as with one of mine) just to move to something else is a great thing no matter the cost. So just back to your financial position.

I have always traded my old unit in. Just not like the hassle to deal with it by myself. Also when you trade it in you gain the sales tax on the one you trade in.

Russell
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #19

We went through the same thing earlier this year. We traded in our 2 year old TT for a new 5th wheel. We lost over 50% of our original price on the TT. Trade in value on almost all campers is awful.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
The good thing is we don't have to buy until we get a deal we like, ours is fine for the next few years of need be.

Does anyone think we would get a better deal at the original dealer we bought the TT at?
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Unless you "like" being upside down on a new RV note....Just stick with the Vibe....and pay down the note.

That is why when shopping for a new RV, I would never buy from dealer the first time we "think" was the right unit...

Our last RV tt (2005) we used 7 seasons, sold it private party, which was $2k more than the trade in amount. Cost of using it over 7 seasons was $21 per night camped (380 nights). $21 per night was just the difference from the cost new (including tax) to what we sold it for. I can't go wrong with that.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #22

We bought a very well-maintained 8-year-old Class A from the original owners for close to $8K under Blue Book. Four years later we decided to sell due to greatly reduced use. It sold on consignment for $18,000 less than we paid for it. $4500 a year depreciation on an already 8 year old rig was hard to swallow.

Some consignment dealers are real rip-off artists!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I would dump it,take the loss,that way you have five years to pay on the 5er before retirement.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
The good thing is we don't have to buy until we get a deal we like, ours is fine for the next few years of need be.

Does anyone think we would get a better deal at the original dealer we bought the TT at?

I would have no problem at all dealing with same dealer. They should give you as much or more than anyone else.

Russell
Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can "expect" what ever you want, but the truth is you'll lose 30% at least. Now, if you traded for a much more expensive unit then you won't lose as much since there's more room to play with the figures.
When we bought the present rig the dealer either gave us $20,000 more than book for our old rig or took $20,000 off the price. I don't really care since all I need to worry about is the difference.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Remember! If you sell, then buy-you pay more Sales Tax than if you Trade. (its that way in Fla, anyway-you pay tax on the diff)
Same here in WA
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #27

Another thing to think about is, if your TT is financed today, how long is the term? If you've financed for, say, 10+ years, you may find yourself even more upside down in a year or two. If you've only financed for 3-5 years you may come out ahead by waiting.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Cedar Creek 38FL
guy.lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We bought a very well-maintained 8-year-old Class A from the original owners for close to $8K under Blue Book. Four years later we decided to sell due to greatly reduced use. It sold on consignment for $18,000 less than we paid for it. $4500 a year depreciation on an already 8 year old rig was hard to swallow.

Some consignment dealers are real rip-off artists!
Well, you could have not accepted the deal or did the dealer have final say on the deal?