Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not going to be the dealer or Mfg by the side of the road or canceling a vacation. Part of the independent life of the RV is the responsibility for your own stuff.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Expect all you want, but it is your safety and convenience that will be compromised. You can read the information, look at the photos and do with it as you wish. Understand that some of us are just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
It's not going to be the dealer or Mfg by the side of the road or canceling a vacation. Part of the independent life of the RV is the responsibility for your own stuff.
I'm not one to disagree with you at all, but all I was saying is that we must expect better from manufacturers when you have bought new. I fully accept responsibility for maintaining your RV down the road but someone who just bought new should not be considering taking the bearings out for inspection etc, surely that is a critical thing that should be checked and rechecked by the manufacturer. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just a newbie and I will bow to you guys's knowledge

Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
I'm not one to disagree with you at all, but all I was saying is that we must expect better from manufacturers when you have bought new. I fully accept responsibility for maintaining your RV down the road but someone who just bought new should not be considering taking the bearings out for inspection etc, surely that is a critical thing that should be checked and rechecked by the manufacturer. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just a newbie and I will bow to you guys's knowledge
You may expect better from the manufacturer but you may never get that expected service. I had to replace a pair of axles on our last 5er for other reasons and purchased new directly from Dexter. While I don't have photos, one of the outer bearings was bad with zero miles - the sheet metal cage was coming apart. Additionally, one of the inner bearings had gouges from a piece of debris. All of the outers were replaced as were two of the inners (and why I was leery of our new 5er's quality). Then there were these brake linings, below with the brake drum having major grease smears from those fingerprints. Dexter shipped a new lining set overnight and I cleaned the drum. Also, those bearing, on an EZ Lube assembly, barely had any grease in one axle hub.

I'm sure not all trailers come from a manufacturer with less then great quality rolling gear, but my experiences are bad enough that I don't have a need to have a roadside failure and have to wait the rollback - and for a 38' 5er, that could be a l-o-o-o-n-g time.

Oh and eTrailer has seals a LOT cheaper and of at least the same quality as Dexter. Rock Auto have the bearings at much less then NAPA and similar auto parts
Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
Why disassemble to repack? Doesn't anyone use "Bearing Buddies". They allow you to grease the bearing from a zurk fitting and maintain a positive pressure between the seal and the zurk.
Just a thought.
Dan
DO NOT use Bearing Buddies on axles with brakes. I bought my first 5th wheel with them on it. I could not figure out why the brakes didn't work. I took everything apart. The first owner pumped so much grease in there they blew out the seal and covered the brakes in grease.

Bearing Buddies are for boat trailers that don't have brakes and are often submerged in water.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Dexter makes a version called EZ-Lube. They have a relief hole that is supposed to keep the grease from bypassing the seal. In my mind, better but when the hole clogs, same problem. I still trust the old-school method.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #20

Whel bearings repack

I have had several tt's over the years and have never had a failure. If gease is not leaking why change it. Ez lube on our current trailer just give it a slow couple of pumps to insure it oozes out some. You don't repack car bearings yrly so why the trailer with significantly less yrly miles?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
You guys are freaking me out. Lol

I just bought a new Lance 1995 TT. Why would we need to be responsible to make sure QC has done his/her job. Shouldn't we be expecting and demanding more than that?... just saying.
Yes I do think we should expect more than that. That being said, I think the manufacturer's definition of QC differs from the consumer's. I read story after story on these forum's about poor QC on new trailers.

With our TT being used (with a good history) I had a wheel service done. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the highway.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #22

DO you guys rotate your tires? You have to pull them off to do the bearings anyway.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
DO you guys rotate your tires? You have to pull them off to do the bearings anyway.
I would like to rotate the tires, but since the brake drums are not balanced I would have to go thru a complete re-balance of each assembly. If you would check the balance of the tire, wheel and hub assemblies (nobody does it) you would be surprised how bad they are. Since a trailer has no drive end or steering end, I don't think that rotating matters so much.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Most trailer tires are radials and as such, it is not recommended to change sides/direction of rotation once the manufacturing components are 'set' by heat cycles. I might move them between axles by chance but not by choice. As far as balance - tires are usually balanced on a separate off trailer machine, not on an axle. A drum will have minimal impact on balance. Then there are those, including OEM RV manufacturers that don't balance trailer tires, but several ounces of weight on one of my tires says to me that's not a valid decision
Old 03-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
A drum will have minimal impact on balance.
I have an on the vehicle Alemite Electronic Wheel Balancer. I have had to add as much as 5.5 oz. to an already balanced wheel to compensate for the unbalanced drum. This type of balancer spins the wheel up to highway speed and detects the imbalance. In other words, the trailer shook like crazy till I installed the weights.