Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

How often to repack bearing

We bought a 2015 new Jayco White Hawk 2810 last summer(August). We took a trip for a week in the dells. Total miles on the trailer since new:500. Should repack the bearings this spring or can I wait another year. Expected miles this summer: 2000. Includes one trip from east IA to Nebraska in August total round trip 800 miles.

Thanks for any input.
iamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I admit I'm a little OCD about these type things. I pulled mine very shortly after buying new just to be sure the factory had done them. Then every spring regardless of mileageI pull inspect bearings, repack, and clean/inspect the brakes while apart.

Then there isn't any doubt. Better safe then sorry.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #3

I thought the same but my dealer told me repeatedly not to schedule it until 3 yr mark. We put around 10k mi/ yr.

I did my own at three years and found one pitted bearing. Now I am thinking every year or other year.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
I admit I'm a little OCD about these type things. I pulled mine very shortly after buying new just to be sure the factory had done them. Then every spring regardless of mileageI pull inspect bearings, repack, and clean/inspect the brakes while apart.

Then there isn't any doubt. Better safe then sorry.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Do you replace the seals annually too?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

I only put 3,000 miles on mine since it was done last. I'm just going to jack it up and check for loose wheels and pull the dust caps off to see what it looks like. Ive done that before and had the grease look like pudding and run out.

You almost never get the seals out without damaging them. Plan on replacing the seals every time you repack.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Why disassemble to repack? Doesn't anyone use "Bearing Buddies". They allow you to grease the bearing from a zurk fitting and maintain a positive pressure between the seal and the zurk.
Just a thought.
Dan
Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
IC2

Dexter recommendations are 12 months or 12,000 miles. The 12 months is probably a CYA but 24 months will work well. Miles @12K are about what rear wheel drive automobiles usually have for recommendations and is a still good rule of thumb

As far as repacking those bearings - your trailer has more then 500 miles on it since it was hauled from the manufacturer and has to be added on to the total. Also, Dexter who owns AL-KO and in turn are both owned by Lippert has started to use no-name, made in China bearings. I pulled ours on our '14 5er after possibly 5000 miles and found three of the four outer starting to fail, turning a dark blue color. All of the outers were replaced with Timken (and US made), the big inners repacked and reinstalled. I also dont use the EZ Lube feature - a good repack works just fine plus the Dexter recommendations are still used with that feature.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Dexter who owns AL-KO and in turn are both owned by Lippert has started to use no-name, made in China bearings. I pulled ours on our '14 5er after possibly 5000 miles and found three of the four outer starting to fail, turning a dark blue color. All of the outers were replaced with Timken (and US made), the big inners repacked and reinstalled. I also dont use the EZ Lube feature - a good repack works just fine plus the Dexter recommendations are still used with that feature.
This is some of what I presented in my thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/brake...es-276077.html

I will never put a new or used trailer in service without a complete inspection and greasing.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Loosing a bearing on the Fwy is not like flat tire. Before you know it's gone and get stopped the brakes, hub, tire, and very possibly the spindle will be gone. How do you fix that out of town on the side of the Fwy? You don't. Big semi truck with a flatbed is what AAA used to take me home.
By the Mfg using cheap china bearings everyone wins but us. Repair shops, tow trucks, and all the towns in places no one stops except for repair. If you think you want to use easy-lube or bearing buddy type on axles with brakes I suggest you do a search on the forums for the issues with them first. We all make choices in life......
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Some old heads will disagree with this but here goes... anyway... If your trailer has the E-Z Lube axles with grease zerks, (there are not Bearing-Buddies), these are a good tool for a form of bearing inspection. Every other year, I jack up each individual wheel, and spin it while adding grease. It takes about a cartridge per side. I pump in new grease... SLOWLY... while continually spinning the wheel. If none comes out the front... stop immediately because you have breached the seal and you're about to contaminate your brakes.When the old grease comes out the front... LOOK CLOSELY at it. If it has any metal in it at all, you need to tear down and replace the bearings and seal. If it comes out pretty clean, let it continue to ooze out until no more comes, and replace the cap.

However, that's every other year. When I first got mine, I did a full bearing maintenance tear down with new seals to make sure the factory did it right. On the years since in between the procedure described above, I do a full tear down, cleaning, and inspection with new seals. It's cheap insurance against what Hiway 4X4 describes above... Luckily I can still say I haven't been there, done that... and don't have the T-Shirt...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

Wow, great advice here! Thanks everyone for your insights. I'm a what if kinda guy so I will tear down, repack the bearings, and replace the rear seals. The side of a highway is not a fun place.

Thanks everyone!
iamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

You guys are freaking me out. Lol

I just bought a new Lance 1995 TT. Why would we need to be responsible to make sure QC has done his/her job. Shouldn't we be expecting and demanding more than that?... just saying.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamack View Post
Wow, great advice here! Thanks everyone for your insights. I'm a what if kinda guy so I will tear down, repack the bearings, and replace the rear seals. The side of a highway is not a fun place.

Thanks everyone!
Good call Chances are you will end up with a better pack than the trailer came with.

Be curious what you find.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Why would we need to be responsible to make sure QC has done his/her job. Shouldn't we be expecting and demanding more than that?
Expect all you want, but it is your safety and convenience that will be compromised. You can read the information, look at the photos and do with it as you wish. Understand that some of us are just trying to help.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote