Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #15

This is my first truck and the Ram fit in my garage where the others did not. With that being said, I am very pleased with the Ram. The 5.7 Hemi has plenty of power and takes us up and down the mountains without any problem. I have about 30K miles on it and other than maintenance it has not been in the shop. After Ram when to coil springs (I think in 2009) it improved the ride quit a bit and we enjoy traveling in it, even without the trailer. Good luck and happy travels. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I am only 67....so I really like watching you old guys park I say go for it. You may have another 20 yrs of knocking the corners off that TT. Have fun and don't look back (except when backing up) !!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #17

I'm 80

And bought a TAB to see if I could do it. Newby newby. Loved it and hav graduated to a Winnie drop. Bigger bathroom.
Annieoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
I retire tomorrow. I just turned 65 but I've worked physically all my life and I'm still in pretty good shape. But... my new TT has a power tongue jack and power stabilizers. Set-up, take-down, and hooking up are a snap. I can have the water on and the A/C going in 15 minutes and not break a sweat. I can't really imagine it being any easier. I plan on quitting this when I can't wade trout streams any more... but not until.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #19

It's not a matter of age. If you can handle the physical aspect of using a RV and can safely navigate it on the highway, then enjoy. As someone who is rapidly approaching 67, I am confident that I can handle the challenge though I do have to be very careful when I start getting tired as it is too easy to do something stupid! (Of course, I never did anything that was stupid when I was younger!) The challenge is to be honest with yourself and know when it is time to downsize or change the type of rig you have to match your ability to safely use it.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #20

Interesting question. It brings to mind a couple I saw at a show. They got out of a new 40 ft DP. Both of them were using walkers and were probably pushing 90. Got to give it them. Takes guts.

Today's trailers are pretty much remote control set up. On mine with the exception of leveling, power, water and hitch everything is or can be done with a remote. Slides, awning, stab jacks and tongue jack. Super simple. I've got some pretty nasty arthritis and don't have any trouble at all. Go for it.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 57 and just bought my first MH. The man I bought it from was 78 and was moving to a TT... like has been stated. Ability is the deciding factor, go rent one of your choice and give it a try...
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I will be 71, DH and I talked and talked about getting me a newer one, but a 2003 or something, still a ton on money and all I really wanted was some
slides. Also we have fixed and spent a lot on this one and know it well, soooo. We decided to overhaul the old 92 Eagle instead, figure I have 5
more years to drive it, not sure. I have enjoyed the last 5 years though haven't gotten to go as much as I like.

I hope I know when to stop driving and not endanger myself or others, until then intend to enjoy life!

Think its the individuals health that will decide, I couldn't handle a TT.

I stop, hit the jack button, sometimes put out the orange pieces under the jacks but generally let it self level. Get out hook up electric, water, and sewer doesn't take long. Back in to get the TV out, hooked up and the satellite on, done except for a hot bath.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 62 and bought my Class C last year and retired. Been hitting the road often. I am going to Illinois next week. Other than knees bothering me, I am fine otherwise.

As others have said, if you feel good enough, just go ahead and do it!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
I would say that dead is too old to do the things you enjoy. Other than that, anything is possible.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #25

Too old?

I retired last year. Bought first TT 5 mo ago. A TAB. Then bought a Winnie drop. Needed more room to have friends Over. Turned 80 this year. Spent weeks in Colorado this summer. Plan more trips this fall. It isn't old we have to be afraid of but poor health. Going to GO as long as I can.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #26

Too old?

I retired last year. Bought first TT 5 mo ago. A TAB. Then bought a Winnie drop. Needed more room to have friends Over. Turned 80 this year. Spent weeks in Colorado this summer. Plan more trips this fall. It isn't old we have to be afraid of but poor health. Going to GO as long as I can.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #27

We have had TC, Class A and two Class C's, just bought a 18' TT and new F-150. I'm 66 and wife is 67. She retired in March and I will retire this coming April. See you on the road. We will be in Utah next week at Gouldings space #54.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #28

Last year we purchased our Dutch Star from a couple who were in their 80's. They were moving back into a S & B, not because they were too old to handle the coach, but because they had medical issues tying them down to their local doctors. If Jim could do it in their 80's, you can certainly do it in your late 60's!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer