RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

How old TT would you buy used?

So we’re still looking to buy our first rv. I have to purchase a tow vehicle and as my car is already 10 years old and can’t tow anything anyway we will be looking at a newer model tow vehicle. We’re still wanting to limit our budget as much as possible as we’re going to have to get a loan no matter what. So my question is...how old on a used travel trailer would you go? I’ve seen some pretty good looking 10 year old trace trailers out there but how afraid should I be? Remember this is our first. Thanks in advance.

racerx1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

5-10 years old, lightly used and stored inside or under cover. Look for a manufacturer know for higher quality. None are that well built to begin with and the lower end ones will literally start to fall apart as soon as you drive away.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

I see a lot of old Prowlers and a couple of others still knocking around the oil field. Some age better than others...

It all depends on condition and price. Have the seals been maintained? Does the price reflect the condition? Any soft spots in the floor? Discoloration on the walls? Does the fridge get cold and the heat work? Does any thing at all not work?

Also, if you need to finance, what will your bank write a loan on?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

it's no different than buying a car. I bought my 5er it was 14 years old. Seems it was always kept in a seasonal park and never hit the road. Very well kept. Very good shape.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

Some of the older TT were built very well and fairly heavy. If well taken care of, roof joints maintained / resealed every so often, and no obvious leaks then something in the 15-25 year old range should not be overlooked.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #6

I bought a 1996 TT last year. It was built solid and well cared for. And, I saved a pile of money buying an older RV.
IBTripping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #7

When my brother bought his last one it was over 75 years old. And he uses it more than he did the 4 YO one he sold.
But, nobody can tell you what will work for you, because we can't know your tool or skill set.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Its all about the quality of the brand and most of all the maintenance that has been done on it over the years. The biggest killer of any RV is water damage. You must inspect everywhere inside and out looking for water damage; under all windows and doors, floors by the storage doors and wheel wells. The electric brake system is another area to pay attention to. Many times the wiring has substandard connections that allow moisture infiltration causing corrosion. I would not purchase an old trailer without the wheels being removed and brakes inspected, unless there where current receipts indicating that repairs have been done. Be prepared to purchase new tires if the current ones are over 7 years old (there has been much discussion on this subject). With all this said the best advice would be to pay to have a thorough inspection done before you buy.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

A vintage trailer is certainly something to consider. It is a whole new can of worms. Condition can range from complete project to looks good but needs a lot of work to everything is perfect but it’s cost is 10 times that of a 5 year old trailer.

Since it’s the OP’s first and they mentioned an age of 10 years, I’d recommend they search for a lightly used 5-10 year old unit to try out for a couple of years. While size and weight have not been mentioned, I’d also recommend looking for a tow vehicle that will allow you to move into a larger trailer in the future. As a general rule, people don’t go smaller when moving from their first to second RV.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
PKI

It's not the age, it's the condition and the original construction method. If it has wood in the walls, roof or floor, be concerned about rot. If it was stored inside, it will be in better shape, but may still need immediate attention for the roof and window seals so the future does not include rot.

The other concern is that as the RV industry goes through a downturn, individual companies are stressed more or less. Often good companies produce substandard coaches to stay in business, while better companies do not change their quality and go out of business. So look at the general performance of the RV industry and take care in looking at coaches produced around down turns.

There is a flyer. That would be a coach of any age, which has been well loved and maintained. Consequently, it would have a great history of what has been done to upgrade and maintain the operational capability of the coach. We talked to a couple who purchased a trailer that was owned by two other couples in their camping group. They have been well satisfied with their purchase.

But the key with any purchase is to plan for failure, repair and ongoing costs of ownership. It is most cost effective if you can repair and replace components with your labor. If you can't, save your money and buy a tent.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
5-10 years old, lightly used and stored inside or under cover.
Very few TT are stored uncover and a car port is MUCH better that any kind of tarp/cloth covering.

UV kills any roof except aluminum (think Airstream) or fiberglass (eggshell, like Scamp, Casita or Lil' Snoozy).
Old 02-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #12

Well, i just picked up a 2010 Keystone Cougar yesterday (26ft-bhs). Being 9 years old the tt is in immaculate condition and well insulated. Just look at the condition of it and make sure there is no major issues like water intrusion/leaks, make sure everything works properly. Its like buying anything else, know the issues with it if it has any and if it is too much to try and fix yourself do not buy it. I spent 2 hours inspecting the tt we bought yesterday. I wanted to make sure everything was in working order like it should. I would not buy one that has had water damage whatsoever, that is my 2cents.
bryan2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #13

Another thing, I bought from a private seller. Know that when buying from a dealer you going to pay a lot more. If you can purchase with cash or be able to get approved through your own bank i would recommend buying from a private seller. I have been researching for months if not years and I saved thousands of $$$ not buying strictly from a dealer. I know dealers will say they have gone through it but if you educate yourself in advance from these forums you will save $$$. Do your homework and research, I did and it worked for me.
bryan2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #14

hey think about a class c motor home price wise a used one would be less than the price of a tow rig truck and a trailer

Nortons RV is offline   Reply With Quote