Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Unhappy How to crank electric TT jack

Hi: just got home from a three day camping getaway. Unloaded travel trailer and ready to store, but electric RAM3500 hitch jack will not function. There is juice to it, but it just sorta balks. I have no manual, so don't know how to crank it down. Any suggestions? I took off the cover and tried a ratchet, but couldn't move it either direction. Anyone know the website address for this brand?
Thanks,
Jimbo
Jimbo AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Tongue jack ?, should have manual handle
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Who makes it? Googling 'Ram Electric Trailer Jack' just gets hit for vendors selling them?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

Ram 3500 looks to be a china special with optional manual handle that I can't find anywhere. Good luck
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

RAM 3500 tongue jack

Yes, I'll bet it is a china model. I'll have to look further and see if I have a crank somewhere in my storage. The righ was new last fall when I bought it. Question: wouldn't you think putting a ratchet on that hex would move it? Even a little?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #6

Put a bottle jack under the tongue to take weight off jack--you'll have to do this eventually, anyway--and see if it works at all, or the hand crank moves anything. I'd be getting in touch with the selling dealer if under 1 year old.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

RAM tongue jack

All the weight is in truck hitch. I will use bottle jack to raise up tongue, and then get truck out of the way. I did find the crank this morning, but nothing I do will turn the thing in either direction. I do intend to call dealer tomorrow morning. Maybe I can ship the unit to them for replacement. This is nuts, since it has worked perfectly every time, without any warning. Do you know, is this a screw drive? Maybe it's slipped off.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #8

FWIW - Somewhere in the mix is probably an "auto" reset circuit breaker. It may trip if the load is too great on the tongue jack or it's in a bind. Within a few seconds after you release the up/down switch it may reset (showing power) but trip again when you hit the switch. After you get the load off or get it out of a bind it may work again.

BTW a bottle jack will work, but IMHO a roll around floor jack would be better. If your on a hard surface it will let the load shift a little when coming up.

Good Luck to ya (Been there, done that)
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #9

TT Tongue Jack

Hunt n Fish: thanks for your thoughtful comments. The jack is not under load, and it wasn't when it acted up, refusing to perform. I have power to the unit, indicated by the small LED light and the fact that there's a balking sound when I try to activate the switch for either up or down.

I read somewhere that it's possible to run the jack too far, thus running the screw off where the motor will engage it. Have you ever heard of that?

I will still be calling my dealer and requesting a replacement. The TT is under warranty for another 1-1/2 years. Hopefully the jack falls under that too.

Thanks,
Jimbo
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

TT Tongue Jack

Hey, thanks guys, for all your input. I called dealer and they are sending me a better jack for the wholesale price difference. I'm getting a Bulldog 3500# model. Made in USA. Simple to install.

Thanks again,

Jimbo
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo AZ View Post
Hey, thanks guys, for all your input. I called dealer and they are sending me a better jack for the wholesale price difference. I'm getting a Bulldog 3500# model. Made in USA. Simple to install.

Thanks again,

Jimbo
Glad it's working out for ya!

BTW (since it's not a bind/breaker issue), I would add that most of those jacks have the foot shaft attached to the threaded jack shaft with a "bronze" nut The nut rides up & down on the shaft raising or lowering the foot. That nut IMHO is the weak link. Some of these will seize up with the slightest bit of dirt, rust, or low lubrication causing thread galling. I haven't had the nut come off the jack shaft, but I've had the nut pressure up against the pins at the top & bottom of the shaft and exhibit this phenomena.

Galling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI - Bottoming out the jack up or down on a regular basis with continued pressure can cause this too. (Don't keep your finger on the button to long)

Next weakest point is a small shear key in the motor gear box which will break if load is really to great. Motor would turn but nothing happens. Had this occur on one of my stabilizers when the switch stuck. Motor costs $300 but I took it apart and went to the hardware store.....2 hrs and 25 cents later, it was working again....... The dealer or manufacturer ain't gonna tell ya this!

Anyway, Glad you're gettin' it done:! thumb:
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote