RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #15

With smaller non-slide trailers, it’s even more important that you spend at least a half hour sitting inside making sure that it meets your needs. Think about rainy days where you’re likely to spend more time inside. Be sure to lay down on the bunks to make sure they’ll work for you.

You might want to Google “RV Packing List” to get an idea of the gear you will be carrying. Storage space becomes more important as well with smaller rigs, so be sure to look at that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #16

How to Maneuver the RV Show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach324 View Post
Yes, a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder. We are looking at the Rockwood Geo Pro line of travel trailers. Some of them would fit our needs, but we like the G16BH and G19BH.

If you haven’t done so already, please read this towing guide for your Nissan. Depending on number of passengers and weight of cargo, I think you will be very limited on what your tow vehicle can handle.
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...wing-guide.pdf

You will be very close on the G16BH. Check and see if ”Dry Weight” includes full propane tanks, fresh water tank and any accessories such as spare tire,etc. Also need to add weight of truck cargo, passengers, hitch, etc. Amazing how fast it all adds up to total loaded weight. Only a scale will tell you for sure where are with weight. Good luck with your decision.

Specs for 2018 Forest River - Rockwood Geo Pro
Floorplan: G16BH
(Travel Trailer)

Find Specs for 2018 Forest River - Rockwood Geo Pro Floorplan: G16BH (Travel Trailer)
Find Specs for 2018 Forest River - Rockwood Geo Pro Floorplan: G16BH (Travel Trailer)
2018 Forest River Rockwood Geo Pro (Travel Trailer) Units Available
Specifications
Price
MSRP
TBA
MSRP + Destination
TBA
Currency
US Dollars
Basic Warranty (Months)
Structure Warranty (Months)
Roof Warranty (Years)
Dimensions
Length
18.33 ft. (220 in.)
Width
7.33 ft. (88 in.)
Height
9.58 ft. (115 in.)
Interior Height
6.5 ft. (78 in.)
Weight
Dry Weight
2,874 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,046 lbs.
Hitch Weight
420 lbs.

Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd never buy another RV that had a crawl over bed.

We had a Nash 22h with a crawl over bed and got rid of it for just that reason.

A lot of big RV show sales people don't actually work for the dealership. They travel from show to show helping out because the dealers don't have enough sales people.

I always ask the sales person at shows if they themselves own an RV and if they actually work full time back at the dealers location.

Very rare to find a salesperson who uses an RV, at least in my experience.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #18

Agree with Arch, you do not want a crawl over bed. I rented a Cruise America 24' class 'C' to get my feet wet into RV's. It had a corner bed. I have owned walk around beds ever since. 3 different RV's. Walk around bed is a must.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree with Arch, you do not want a crawl over bed. I rented a Cruise America 24' class 'C' to get my feet wet into RV's. It had a corner bed. I have owned walk around beds ever since. 3 different RV's. Walk around bed is a must.
That's why I always recommend that people rent an RV for a week or so if they have never used one. You learn a lot and it pays for itself.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #20

Arch...you are 110% correct. As a newbie I would walk onto an RV and look around. I would not even sit down on the furniture. I would look and say it has a bed, a refrigerator, a stove, a bathroom. Everything I need.

Renting allowed me use an RV. Wow, tank size and bed and furniture became a priority. I often say, I need to send Cruise America more $$$. I bet they saved me at least $5,000, or whatever it would cost to buy a RV, use it twice and trade it in.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Beach...have you ever owned or used an RV?

No, never owned an RV. When I was a teenager my best friend's family lived in an Airstream trailer on a horse farm. I spend a great many days and nights in that trailer. I've spent a week in a canvas cabin in Yosemite, slept beside a campfire in a sleeping bag, camped at the beach in any number and kinds of tents, slept in my car on a cross-country trip from Monterey CA to Charlotte NC. Not the same as owning an RV, but my point is I'm accustomed to roughing it. Just about any TT with a dry bath that I can tow behind my Pathfinder will suit me just fine. There are only two of us unless the younger nieces and nephews take an interest in our adventure. The bunkbeds will allow that to happen. This has been on my bucket list for 50 years. I am looking forward to the RV show in Charlotte next weekend and expect to be able to address most of my questions and concerns. I am grateful for all the suggestions I've picked up from so many helpful RVers in this forum.

Three days before Christmas I was rear-ended by someone on a cell phone. My car was totaled. I needed to buy a new car and I've been wanting to buy an RV for many years. So, I bought the Pathfinder because I know it can tow a travel trailer that will be suitable for us, and it's a nice daily driver.
Beach324 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach324 View Post
So, I bought the Pathfinder because I know it can tow a travel trailer that will be suitable for us, and it's a nice daily driver.
Be totally sure you research and understand how trailer weight, payload, etc. work before signing on the dotted line for a trailer. Salesman are notorious for telling you any vehicle can tow any trailer just to make a sale.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #23

The worst place to get questions asked is at an RV show or on the dealers lots. Very few honest ones out there. They will lie right to your face and if you have know prior knowledge you have no way of knowing whether they just told you a lie or the truth.
Just like in politics, lend an ear then fact check it.
Your Pathfinder will be limited by the receiver rating and payload capacity. You will need to subtract 100 lbs from the receiver rating to account for the WD hitch.
Speaking from experience towing with a Frontier V6 auto and a 6500 lbs tow rating, I would limit the dry weight to 2500-3000 lbs max. Also if you can get by with a narrower TT like 7' or so and a low exterior height that will help with wind resistance.
I towed a 21' 4050 lb loaded TT, 7'Wx9'9"H. I did not like it at all. While the Frontier felt really snappy without the TT, once hitched up it was a dog. 8.5-9 mpg at best. Couple that with a 21? gal tank and my range was 150 miles before I needed to look hard for a gas station.
If I were towing with a PF I'd look at R-Pod type trailers. Narrow, lightweight and roomy enough to enjoy.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #24

When dealing with a salesman, I usually start by asking some questions to which I already know the answers. This gives me an idea of whether I’m dealing with a weasel or not.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many good ideas on this thread. A few more thoughts.

1. Insist that you spend at least one night in the unit prior to final payment.

2. Make sure you get in writing a process to deal with ALL of the issues found prior to final acceptance.

I know this sounds heavy duty, but another person on IRV2 wrote a letter to his potential dealers and placed an order with one of them. The thread is in the 5th Forum and is titled "Lets make a deal", see post 49 for his final letter that he sent out. The link follows:
Let's Make A Deal

I think he's accepting delivery in March 2019 and we'll see after that how well it all works out. He spent about a year on IRV2 asking questions about many things and got plenty of advice. He's done his homework and IMO sets an example what can be done. The shady dealers dropped out of the process he used, but that's good for the buyer.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #26

Half the fun of going to RV shows is listening to the sales people trying to sell their product to potential buyers. I suppose it's not really fun for the new buyers. It can be very overwhelming to new buyers. It's sad really that most sales people are trying to take advantage of new buyers ignorance.
OP, kudos to you for trying to be as informed as possible.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
…It's sad really that most sales people are trying to take advantage of new buyers ignorance…

Isn’t that the Camping World business model?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at the sewer hookup. If it has two separate sewer drains I wouldn't buy it.

Also I had a trailer with the sewer connector under the slide out, more than once I had to crawl under there and bang my head. I put that on my list of no no's too.