Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

How to pick a Travel Trailer

I am looking at purchasing a travel trailer for me to live out of full time on a piece of property. The trailer would not be moved unless there was something particularly troubling that would warrant a tow to the mechanic. Ideally, I would like to purchase a used model that has four-season capability as the average lows in January are 21F. The record low is -24F, but I would guess in such an extreme, I can disconnect the water and make do without it. In light of this data, what criteria should I look for when selecting a travel trailer? Furthermore, how much would you advise setting aside per month in order to provide for anticipated repairs? Thanks for your input.
Orionos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Wow
Should not make an comments , but 24 below ( i know extreme ) my house wouldn't make it !!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have a TT. However, I can't imagine any RV withstanding a winter that gets that cold unless you are completely winterized. That would make it a difficult thing to live in. Even houses have troubles at those temps. I can only imagine the fuel that would be used to keep it warm. Whether it's elec. or propane.

Good luck with your decision.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I don't have a TT. However, I can't imagine any RV withstanding a winter that gets that cold unless you are completely winterized. That would make it a difficult thing to live in. Even houses have troubles at those temps. I can only imagine the fuel that would be used to keep it warm. Whether it's elec. or propane.

Good luck with your decision.
Unless you are very rich and money is no object. Don't do it. Instead build a small SUPER insulated cabin that is designed to handle routine zero temps.

Even the best RV's are poorly insulated compared to a cabin with 8" or 12" walls. You will spend a FORTUNE in fuel to warm an RV ....

The reason people living in that temp range buy RV's is because they can hook up and drag SOUTH...!! You stated you don't want to do that. Bad idea... very bad.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Re. heating expenses - my only concern is making sure the plumbing does not break. If I can do that, then heating is a non-issue.

In light of this, what criteria should I look for in a travel trailer?
Orionos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

My opinion "none " those temps, limited heat ???? Good Luck !
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
My thought is if heating is a non issue you should be able to keep the plumbing at a non freezing temp
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

I'd guess sealed under belly, heated or insulated tanks. If you don't plan to move it, can you build a "skirt" around the bottom to limit air flow?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #9

Look for a TT without slides. Less warm air loss. High R values, dual pane windows. skirt the bottom. I would invest in a large propane tank. 420lbs. Elec hose wrap for fresh water hose. Plumb in a MrBuddy heater or something similar. Plumb it into the 420lb propane tank. Heated and enclosed tanks are a must.

IMO something along the lines of an older Arctic Fox like a 22H.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
LDR

4 season TT

I'm sure there more, but Northwood builds 4 Season travel trailers and 5th wheels that handle freezing temps pretty well. Most of what they build have enclosed tanks that are well insulated and heated by the furnace....as long as your furnace is on and keeping the trailer warm you are good to go.
LDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
You also said you can do with out the water.??

Tags
travel, travel trailer