Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
How to stop waste water from leaking out when removing cap?

I've only been out a few times in my new trailer, but I can't figure out how I can stop the small amount of waste water that comes out when I remove the cap.

Perhaps the back water valve doesn't seal well and it's water that accumulates between the valve and cap over time, but its about 2 cups worth.

Not awesome. Does this happen to others, is it it most likely a bad seal?

If it does happen to others, any tips on preventing or dealing with it?

ryguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
I guess it probably shouldn't but my old rig does the same thing. I have room in my wet bay to keep a little bucket under the cap. Not a big problem to rinse the bucket after I'm done dumping but always a bit of a surprise if I forget that it is going to happen when I take the cap off.

97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Sounds like a leak with that amount coming out. To see if it's residual or a leak, leave the cap off and a cup of some type under it for a day or so. if it continues to drip after a few hours, you know a seal is leaking. Replacing a valve or the seals is not difficult. Four bolts, a seal kit and a bit of grease or Vaseline and the job is done. Can be a bit messy, but you can either tip the rig away from the drain with the jacks or a hydraulic jack under an axle after you drain the tank.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Ya, it's probley a seal leaking. My old rig does the same thing. I should fix it but, I just catch it like Quaddiman40 says. But, I'm only losing a few ounces. If your up to losing a couple of cups it's time to get it fixed.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
I added another valve that i bought at Camping World. I just installed it in the same place my sewer hose attaches. Now my sewer hose attaches to it. Works great no leaks to date. You just open it after you hook up your hose and before you dump.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Sometimes it appears that something gets in the way of the valve closing completely. Dump a couple of times and it might disappear. If you are dumping in a place where even a small amount of spill is a problem be prepared with a cut off gallon water bottle. If it is a continuing problem then it may require maintenance.

2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
I had the same problem with my Discovery. Played with it for a couple years, and finally, just had enough, so, I bought a new valve at CW. When I got the old one out, I was glad I had bought a new valve, because the problem was a shard of the tank, (when it was tapped) was caught, and had over time ruined the valve. What a relief to pull the cap, and not get a cap full of liquid.
'05 Monaco Beaver 400 Quad SLD 400hp C-9 Caterpillar
2014 Grand Cherokee, Limited, diesel
Katie-Doberman Pinscher, Tigger, yellow Tabbycat.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
I replaced my cap with one that has a capped garden hose thread adapter. This allows me to dump my grey through a hose into my tote, but also a way to avoid sludging my shoes if it springs a leak, and also allows me to break the pressure seal if I go from high altitude to sea level.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would guess seal too...

but, are you leaving the valves closed until it is pretty full THEN dumping - otherwise there might not be enough flow to 'evacuate' everything paste the seal...

good luck and not something I want dumping on me

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote