Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Hurricane tie-downs - Suggestions??

We are relatively new to the camping experience (and brand new to iRV2). We bought our Thor Wanderer Lite a year ago and have used it 8 times so far. We live in South Florida and the recent hurricane threats made me get serious about formulating a plan to secure the trailer in the event of a storm. The trailer is parked between our house and the neighbor's so it's somewhat protected, but I'm sure I've got to do something to keep it secure during a major storm. I did an on-line search and found surprisingly little information. One article I found on eHow.com, appropriately titled "How to Tie Down a Travel Trailer", talked about vertical and diagonal anchors but didn't give any diagrams. It mentioned putting straps over the roof where the trusses are (makes sense) but also said to raise the whole trailer up on blocks so the wheels are off the ground (didn't say why and rather impractical it seems). So, I'm turning to iRV2 for suggestions. I had already thought that straps over the roof were the way to go, and I figured it best to put down the stabilizing jacks and chock the wheels. Perhaps even fill all the holding tanks with water to weigh it down a bit (but all the weight would be in the far back, behind the wheels). I'm sure there have been many folks who have successfully weathered a major storm and I'm looking for your advise. Thanks in advance.
goliwagmo@aol.com
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live on the Texas Gulf coast. I cannot give specific advice on tie downs, but I can tell you what I do at the first threat of a hurricane.

We load up ad head out of town. Hurricanes are so unpredictable we just find it a safer idea, and it gives us peace of mind. There is nothing I can do here at the stick house other than board up the windows before we leave.

Good luck to you. Stay safe.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tying it down should be a simple matter, just like a manufactured home. A bigger concern would be protecting it from flying debris. That is nearly impossible. I vote for hooking up and getting out of town.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When a hurricane threatends and the order goes out.

Do not tie the RV down

Pack it up and head for KANSAS or .. Well, inland in any case

For your information: The US government has a on-line study course and test titled "ARE YOU READY" or "ARE YOU PREPARED" (not sure which) It is designed for "Civilians" in times of emergencies.. I think it's number is 201 but not sure.

It asks a whole lot of questions like "Where is the safest spot in a chemical spill) Upwind, way upwind)

But the one that made me break out laughing was:

Q: Where is the best place to take shelter in a Hurricane
1: Indoors
2: Outdoors
3: Underground
4: In a shelter outside the storm area.

For years I have been saying the best place to be in a (Take your pick) Fire/Blizzrd/Tornado/Earthquake/Hurricane... Is ELSEWHERE.

That is, of course, answer #4

So that's what you do with your RV in a hurricane.. GET IT (and you) out of the path of the storm.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are fortunate to have a "home" where you can live as the storm passes----take a trip away from the storm and count your blessings; safe and sound. Have a plan worked out in advance and make a list then just pull it out when required and work the plan.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Tie downs will not do the job if a hurricane hits. Forget it. You are just kidding yourself. You need to tow it away to a safe area. (Did you ever see how mobile homes are destroyed in hurricanes?)
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

Just so there isn't more of these posted, leaving is not an option. We'll be shuttered in the house. I'm just looking for suggestions to increase the odds of the trailer coming through a moderate storm (category 3 or less) without (or with minimal) damage. We had no problems with the house or any of our three utility sheds in Frances (2004, Cat 2), Jeanne (2004, Cat 2) and Wilma (2005, Cat 2). Yes, if there is a worse storm than that I don't expect the trailer to survive undamaged (that's why it's insured). But if I can do some quick things to increase the odds in a moderate hurricane then that's what I'm looking for.
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, in that case a blockhouse (Indoors a very strong building) would be my second choice. Even a class 1 hurricane I'd not have much hope for the RV.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I did have one thought--but I am not the hurricane type---instead of individual straps over roof braces (they will not stay put long) why not an big cargo netting of nylon over the top equal in size to the trailer roof at least. It would spread the force uniformly perhaps. Just a thought. I went to the ehow website How to Prepare an RV for a Hurricane | eHow.com and it seemed to have good suggestions must be the same one you mentioned.

Good luck regardless, sorry I am not of more help.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #10

The kampground I work in had FEMA trailers for two years after Katrina. There were anchors put in the cement and the trailers were tied down with 1/2 to 3/4 in metal straps to secure them to the ground. They were only straped to the frame of the trailer. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Good Luck with your tiedowns.
You can do all kinds of tiedowns, but first ask your RV manufacturer if your rig was designed and built to withstand 100 mph winds and heavy rain, or more. (It wasn't.) Maybe an engineer can design a tiedown plan for you....
Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just buy RV insurance that will cover wind damage from hurricanes and tornadoes.
Everyone lives in a place of their choice (except for criminals) and has the option to move and purchase insurance.
Those who do not have the common sence to get out of Dodge before an impending disaster (Tsunami, hurricane, tornado, flood and fire warnings, weather alerts -hail, flooding, mud slides, ect and fail to have insurance get no sympathy or cheese from me with their whine.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best plan is to use the wheels under it and leave the area. I cannot understand the fascination of riding out the storm, having been through 3 hurricanes. There is no reason to sit there and watch things get damaged and endanger your life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #14

I live in Florida also. If leaving is not an option, then I agree with a few of your thoughts in the OP. I also put jacks down but if you're not on pavement I'd use cement blocks to prevent the jacks from sinking - use cement in case the blocks work their way out from under the jacks. I also block the wheels but with full size cinder blocks that are less likely to get blown around. And I also fill tanks to add weight. By the way, not all your tanks can be behind the wheels as you stated in the OP. I wouldn't use tie downs on my RV though. I've had luck with the above so far. There's no guarantee but it's better than doing nothing. I wish you, me, and everyone else luck when the next big one hits.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane