Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

I don't know what I was expecting BUT-

We've been going around in an old TT. 1978 Excel, 22ft, NO slide:-) (Looks like a Aspen Trail 1900 floor plan).
Its actually in pretty good shape. Think, restored oldie.

Just went looking at new TTs today just to see what was out there. To say we were, shall we say, "disappointed" in the build quality we saw, may be an understatement.

You look at NEW TTs with wrinkles in the ceiling film, ceiling staples bent and not seated, trim molding that doesn't meet mid-point in the ceiling, window valences that look like a 4 yr old covered them, RTV around the kitchen sink that my dog could do better applying, cracks in the shower stall not sealed, etc, etc.

We looked at 5 different lines and they all had such issues. Surprising to us was Jayco who came out on top but not without dings.

Like I said, don't know what I expected - but? I can build something a lot better than I can buy right now. This is not rocket science. I come from a production factory background.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
We've been going around in an old TT. 1978 Excel, 22ft, NO slide:-) (Looks like a Aspen Trail 1900 floor plan).
Its actually in pretty good shape. Think, restored oldie.

Just went looking at new TTs today just to see what was out there. To say we were, shall we say, "disappointed" in the build quality we saw, may be an understatement.

You look at NEW TTs with wrinkles in the ceiling film, ceiling staples bent and not seated, trim molding that doesn't meet mid-point in the ceiling, window valences that look like a 4 yr old covered them, RTV around the kitchen sink that my dog could do better applying, cracks in the shower stall not sealed, etc, etc.

We looked at 5 different lines and they all had such issues. Surprising to us was Jayco who came out on top but not without dings.

Like I said, don't know what I expected - but? I can build something a lot better than I can buy right now. This is not rocket science. I come from a production factory background.
When the "roost"
is owned by off site investors & they let the bean counters rule said roost...this is the eventual result............
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #3

Can you say
'Piece Mill'

Got 12 units to get out the door....lets GO, GO, GO
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did you look at Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV? They usually leave a better impression as do Lance and a couple others that I can't think of at the moment. They cost a bit more but you get a good bit more as well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

RV plants also have high turnover of employees. Then some get bonuses for volume. Quality comes last if at all.

The only way I see it changing is if Toyota starts building RVs. That would scare the US manufacturers into caring about quality again.

Same thing had to happen in the auto industry decades ago.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Agree ORV AF probably do better Haven't looked at them yet as I'm in the
middle of no where so I have to travel to see.
ORV, AF "have to pay a little more"? 50% or more :-)

Like I said, I was just stunned at what some put out as a product. Was not ready for that
Wouldn't last 5 days in the auto world or airplane world. In fact in almost any other industry would it wouldn't be tolerated. I was really surprised some CEO wanted their name on what I saw in just a short perusal.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Same mentality as "Quick and Dirty" subdivision developers. Lowest vendor bidders, cheapest labor costs, always looking at short term profits.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I refused to purchase a travel trailer because we had rented several and they were all so cheap. When I looked at ORV and Arctic Fox my opinion changed. I have been very happy with our ORV and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Lol, good one, Toyota building RV's. We should be so lucky.

Why is the auto industry getting better and better while the RV industry is worse and worse?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #10

Buyer ignorance and demand....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #11

I disagree on the ORV line being any better. I liked the frame on the 2013 240RKS timber ridge I had but it had the same poor quality construction and assembly issues that seem to plague the industry in general. Just towing a rig down the road for a few miles means you’re going to be re-assembling stuff.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

We like Lance.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Lol, good one, Toyota building RV's. We should be so lucky.

Why is the auto industry getting better and better while the RV industry is worse and worse?
I don't think they're getting worse per se, just staying the same. SO in comparison with car companies like Toyota, or even Tesla, RVs are complete junk, imo...

There's all this talk about hitting price points, and how there are relative few RV's being manufactured, which is all true, however I'm certainly not alone in thinking that the build quality should be better than it is.

It doesn't seem like many RV manufacturers are utilizing modern technologies and manufacturing processes (composites, 3D printing, etc...) like they could. They're still just using the tried and true low quality soft woods, veneers, and staples, even on higher end rigs.

When we bought are little travel trailer, we lurked around the nicer Class A's, 5th wheels, etc... and at least for the Class A's, you had to start spending $200k before you start seeing decent craftsmanship.

Take our $20k TT: Some of the trim doesn't line up, the mattress covers on the bunks were unraveling, and the outside marker lights are visibly non-symmetrical. Over all I'm really happy with our purchase, but these are things the dealer said they wouldn't fix as it was being sold as-is (it is *brand new*) I guess because it was considered a "lost leader" which... I mean... come on....
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

If we had, Lemon Laws for RV's... then you'll see improvement. Boats experiencing the same malady. The production of price point toys is what's hurting quality.
Quality, well maintained used RV's, is the way to go... IMO.