Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

take your time

the most important thing is take your time, also you need to realize

when your in trouble and to straighen out and start over.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #16

Go slow and be patient. I have a friend that makes hurky jerky and fast moves with the steering wheel. Often times in the wrong direction. If you slow down at least you will make mistakes slower. Also you can pull forward to straighten the rig out and then back up if that method helps.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #17

I have some decent backing abilities but for the life of me sometimes can't back my Ford Fiesta into a spot to save my life... makes me quite irritable. Practice make perfect by summer you will be a pro and no one will know the difference.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #18

X4 on the bottom of the steering wheel goes in direction you want the trailer to go trick. However, the wheelbase of the tow vehicle and the length of the trailer (really distance tow ball to axles), can have a big effect. Longer wheelbase tow vehicle makes slower reaction at trailer, and for shorter trailer you get exaggerated reaction.

Also, nothing wrong with stopping to go forward and straightening up. Learn to use your mirrors! You will get better with practice.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

One more hard headed question on backing. when i am backing and looking at trailer it is the right side of trailer but from where i a sitting in the cab its my left side. I think i am making this way to hard but want to get it in my head what i am really doing,basically what i am saying is that I am trying to back into a parking space that is on the drivers side and as i look at trailer it is actually going right so should i be turning the wheel clockwise or counter clock wise.? I have been studying videos and the hands at the bottom of wheel idea seems to be the easiest but in the scenario above should i be turning wheel to the left or to the right. thanks to everyone for their help
Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you need to straighten out, chase the trailer. In other words, if the trailer is going to the right as you back up, you need to turn the wheel to the right to straighten up.

Right and Left being discerned from sitting in the drivers seat, looking forward. You look in your right hand side mirror to see the right side of the trailer, and left hand side mirror to see the left.

https://youtu.be/hSyylWzrOX0
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #21

Have your wife give it a go. She may have the knack.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #22

If you have any friends with either a trailer or a trailered boat, get them to go with you to a large empty parking lot. They will easily spot the things you need to improve on to make backing up easier. Short of that, practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #23

The wheels on a travel trailer are set extremely far forward on the trailer. This adds to the frustration of backing as it creates an abundance of tail swing. So you end up under or over correcting because you are watching the rear of the trailer and nothing else.

Always, always, always be mindful of the rear of the trailer and what's around it, but do not use it to determine how/when to turn. Pay attention to your trailer wheels, line them up with where you want the trailer to go, not the back end.

Again this seems like a weird concept but it's how we teach guys to drive semi truck/trailer. Line up with the wheels and be mindful of the rear end and what's around it.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #24

Good point. When we had a tt I'd let her back it into tight spots. She was much better than I was

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Have your wife give it a go. She may have the knack.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
One more hard headed question on backing. when i am backing and looking at trailer it is the right side of trailer but from where i a sitting in the cab its my left side. I think i am making this way to hard but want to get it in my head what i am really doing,basically what i am saying is that I am trying to back into a parking space that is on the drivers side and as i look at trailer it is actually going right so should i be turning the wheel clockwise or counter clock wise.? I have been studying videos and the hands at the bottom of wheel idea seems to be the easiest but in the scenario above should i be turning wheel to the left or to the right. thanks to everyone for their help
If I'm picturing this correctly, you're turning and looking out the back window.
Don't do that, sit with your back flat against the seat and use your mirrors, that will put 'left' and 'right' where they need to be. If you can't see the trailer in your left mirror then you know that it has swung to the right - and vice versa.

Here's a questions - can you back your truck (no trailer) into a TIGHT spot by just using your mirrors? If not, then maybe you want to start there and get accustomed to using your mirrors. Once you've got that mastered you may find that working with the trailer becomes easier.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #26

a backup camera may help you out a lot. i have one and you can see

where the trailer is going, or shouldn't.

Jim
Old 01-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #27

Another tip: have your wife outside, near the rear of the coach, with a two-way radio. Have her tell you about any dangers in the way, and which way the tail of the coach should go.

The longer the trailer the easier it is to back because it doesn't react as quickly as a shorter one. If you have a riding lawn mower, and a trailer for it, you can practice with it. When you are ready to tear your hair out with that, go hook up your coach and practice with it. Notice how much easier it is now?
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #28

My uncle taught me to back at an early age. I had to back boats into the warehouse. First rule. Get the back of the trailer lined up with the hole the best you can. If you can get the back of the trailer aimed at the hole before you start back. Half the battle is won. Then as mentioned, put you hand at the bottom of the wheel, and push it the way you want the trailer to go. Once you get it going in the right direction. Follow / chase it into the hole. And as mentioned. Pulling up is nothing to be ashamed of. do it all the time. AND if possible. Get a spotter. Need someone to watch the blind side. But beware. This can cause much friction between you and DW. I just have mine stand beside where I want the wheels to stop. And I put it there.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote