Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

I live in jack knife heaven

I a real rookie and need desperate help backing my new TT. I have read many ideas but somehow i am missing the boat. I know what your thinking why didn't I learn to back a trailer before purchasing one. I am thinking that also as I back around the parking lot for the 50th time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

Practice makes perfect. It just takes a lot of times to get comfortable. I am a big proponent of learning to use the mirrors. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Been there done that! I feel your pain
If you haven't already looked, there are a lot of videos on YouTube that can help and just take it very slow- it will come to you!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Start small. Make small moves with the steering wheel in a mostly straight line so you can learn how the trailer reacts when you are trying to back pretty much straight. When you've got straight backing pretty much down pat, move on to more difficult things. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Then, choose some kind of a curve, and keeping in mind that you either need to make little changes, or big changes, with the steering wheel, try backing around a big curve of some kind.

Red plastic disposable cups full of sand or what have you make great traffic cone type things.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For some reason I've never had much trouble backing in when we had TT's nor now with the motorhomes.
But then I had years of experience helping guide my father in with their TT's.
It came so naturally to me that I'm not a good one to teach someone else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #6

Become one with the machine........Om Namah Shivaaya
Old 01-27-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

Tip that helped me was keeping your hand at the bottom of the wheel. The bottom corresponds to the direction you want to move the trailer. Bottom of the wheel moves left, rear of trailer moves left.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 AM   #8

Go to a large parking lot late at night or early in the morning when theirs no traffic, a empty school parking lot on the weekend is great. Take a couple of large objects, trash cans, chairs, mother in law and set them out as a course set at a angle to back into. Drive your TV and TT in a straight line and stop. Take your right hand and grab the steering wheel at the bottom (6 o'clock) and don't let go. Now start to back and move your hand and wheel to the (9 o'clock ) position while looking at your left mirror or head out the window. Try to use your mirror they are your friend! Little corrections and never jackknife your trailer. Another way to remember is the way your steer tire back end closest to driver is pointing is the way your TT will go. A small 15' trailer will turn faster then 25' trailer. Practice makes perfect and never second guess backing up on the right side. If your by yourself get out and look, or have a spotter. Hope this helps and not Confusing you.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
Tip that helped me was keeping your hand at the bottom of the wheel. The bottom corresponds to the direction you want to move the trailer. Bottom of the wheel moves left, rear of trailer moves left.
X2 ^^^^
Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #10

I was horrible at backing trailers too. The tip below is what broke the code for me. I would place the palm of my hand at the 6 o'clock position on the wheel. If the rear of the trailer needs to go left, move your hand clockwise. If it needs to go right, move your hand counter clockwise. Once the trailer starts going g I. The direction you want gradually move your hand back towards 6. Don't overdo it or you'll quickly Jack knife.

Look on YouTube for videos. Lots of them out there. This is s short one as an example

http://youtu.be/jo0MLjY8ppU

Good luck

Quote:
Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

Lots of good advice. I suggest the basic thing is to understand "cause and effect". In other words, learn what the trailer does when you do something to the steering wheel. While others have a technique with their hand at a certain position on the steering wheel (which is fine), the basic issue is how fast your eyes and brain learn what the trailer does in response to a steering change. Once you master the technique, it almost takes more time to write about it than actually doing it (steering while backing).

Repeating what others have said, practice-practice, and start with small wheel movements.

Good luck...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

X-3

You won't find any BETTER advice than this one.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not the same issue, but I need to measure my turn radius etc, to design my RV barn & driveway approach. I bought some small soccer orange cones to map out my space in the local church parking lot one afternoon it was empty. I could easily see the cones and perhaps it might also work for you to practice turns & backing.

For example, set of 12 on Amazon for $15 incl. shipping...
Robot Check
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Once you get it down backing with no problem.
Then you will be ready to start learning how to back up a 2 axle farm wagon.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote