Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

I need some encouragement

I'am looking to purchase my first TT and I'm reading reading reading to try to find a TT that will fit my needs. Looking at floor plan from different company then looking for reviews on those and whatever one I choose I always find horror story.
Looking for jqyco...then some say there are not what they used to be, then Keystone....people asking if the are more reliable...today look like I found a nice brand MPG AND like some floor plan till I read another horror story in here...

I'm discourage... will I buy a new rig then leave for a 3 months trip and be dealing with problems and problems? Or is it only the bad thing we read on the web ?
windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

You can find horrible reviews no matter which company you go with. Look around and find a floor plan you like then look at different trailers with the same plan. You'll be able to tell which ones are better than others just by walking through and checking them out.

We have been looking for months and finally narrowed it down to two trailers. Same floor plan. I liked the dinette and kitchen cabinet layout a little bit better on one but the build quality was much better on the other so that's the one we went with.

They're all crappy unless you want to spend $$$.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

Mostly just problems get reported on most forums.....there are good trailers out there...I've got one..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You cant judge the quality of construction from internet pictures and floor plan schematics. We all buy what we can afford but quality cost money. If you cant afford new quality...buy used quality. The industry today is pumping out TTs so fast the glue is still wet. After a couple years the glue will be dry and the bugs worked out. And you will have more gas money.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Sometimes it seems like it's the luck of the draw and just what day the RV you bought rolled off the assembly line. Our Keystone Outback is doing great after close to 9K miles and a year and a half on the road. But some swear they will never go back to a Keystone because of issues they had. I think one of the most important things to look at is the dealership you purchase from. If you do have an issue, are they going to give you the run-around, keep your RV for weeks on end for what should be a simple repair under warranty, refuse to return your phone calls, etc (hear Camping World). Find a good, reputable, locally owned dealer and make your purchase. Hopefully you will buy a unit that came off the assembly line on a good day, where quality control was paying attention. But if you do have an issue, at least you can get quality, after the sales service. Don't let the stories scare you away from hitting the road and seeing the sights!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #6

Life is too short to worry about what may happen to an RV. I have always bought used and have never had a problem that kept me from traveling. With this forum I can post a problem on the road and get advice from others that may have had the same problem with their rig. By joining a tow in service (I use Coach Net), I have insurance to tow me to a service location should I have an issue. Enjoy the adventure!!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go see a lot of different brands and open all the cupboards and look behind the drawers. Look at the plumbing and electric to see how well it is organized and if it looks sturdy or flimsy. The stuff behind the cabinets and underneath will show you which is built better.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #8

Lots of horror stories out there mainly because pissed off people are more apt to take the time to gripe than satisfied people are to compliment. Other factor is there's some people who are just complainers about the least lil things, you know the folks that wouldn't be happy if you hanged them with a new rope...

I purchased a new TT and was prepared to face all the problems... still waiting on those problems after 6+ years and 20+ trips. Biggest Issue I've had was the shower doors kept rattling loose in transit. A couple of hours and a lil Locktite and no more problem.

Don't be askeert, just let your eyes be the judge when you look the units over. In my business we have a saying... "Quality sells itself".
Old 01-25-2018, 05:01 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As mentioned, people don't tend to write a lot about how carefree their RV was this year - they come to the forums to complain and/or to ask for help. So you're more likely to see the 'bad' stuff here.

Every time you see a thread where Brand X is being bashed due to being complete trash and not worth the space it takes in the driveway, you'll see people who say that theirs of the same brand is just fine and doesn't have those problems.

Also really READ those horror stories to see what people are complaining about - and whether it's something that you could have fixed yourself.

I've seen stories where people were angry because there were loose screws and/or bolts on their new RV. And then they (rightfully) got angrier because the dealer kept it too long to tighten the screws and/or damaged something in the process. (or the batteries ran down because it wasn't plugged in, or pipes froze because it wasn't winterized, or... whatever)
While I agree that in an ideal world there shouldn't be loose screws, there isn't any chance at all that I would take my RV to the dealer to have them tighten them - I'd simply get out a screwdriver and do it myself (all the while grumbling about the 'lazy' people who built my RV). Note that I'm not defending the folks who designed or installed something poorly. I'm just saying that if it were something I was capable of fixing myself, I would - regardless of whether or not the RV is still under warranty.

In short, if YOU can't or aren't willing to do some repairs and maintenance on your RV then you may be in for a less than enjoyable time.
Many (most?) of us are aware that RVs require a good bit of TLC to keep them operating smoothly and just take that as part of the package of owning one (some of us even enjoy the 'tinkering' it takes to keep them going).
Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by windman View Post
... will I buy a new rig then leave for a 3 months trip and be dealing with problems and problems? Or is it only the bad thing we read on the web ?
I have a couple obvious suggestions.

1. Don't overlook units that are a couple years old if the floorplan fits. You will save money.
1a. Put in the time to walk through many units.

2. Whether you buy new or used, don't buy until you have them show you every system operating and (if new) all (cosmetic and systems) issues are dealt with.
2a.Get a good pre-delivery inspection checklist and use it.

3. Once you get your unit, learn as much as you can about it. If you know how things work, you may be able to avoid a trip delay. These forums are great source of information. I've used it when I have a question on the road.

4. Enjoy the journey.....
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #11

The "never had a problem" folks just aren't paying attention. All trailers are built from similar parts that are marginal at best. Examples are cheap plastic spring bushings, and cheap plumbing fixtures. If you expect to buy a trailer and not have problems, you will be disappointed. Buying used and expecting that the bugs have been worked out ain't gonna happen. Buying new and expecting that the dealer will provide complete, timely and good service probably won't happen.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I would suggest you get into a nice used rig and use it for awhile. Travel a little and talk to folks and over a year or so you will get a better picture of what is important to you. After you have some experience you can then feel better about spending bigger money getting exactly what you feel you need. Most folks "work" their way up the RV ladder ( TT, 5th wheel, gas motor home, diesel motorhome) and I suggest when you know how you will use it and know more what you really are aiming for, skip a couple of steps, save some money and get what you want - if you can.. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #13

New is nice but usually not finished. It’s up to the buyer to find out what is wrong. Kind of a big puzzle ! Don’t rely on warranty. You will spend months getting parts and appointment to resolve issues. Look for gently used unit and inspect well. Usually most issues have been dealt with by first owner. Lastly take several weekenders before you set out on a big trip.
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Thanks all for your replies..I'm getting more confident now
windman is offline   Reply With Quote