Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I think I have a noob question, do TTs not come with generators?

I've not seen one yet, do they not come with them? If not how do you camp without a park and have power?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I've not seen one yet, do they not come with them? If not how do you camp without a park and have power?
No they do not normally come with generators.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I you pay the price you can always get accessories. You do have a battery which will not last long but that is why it is called camping. If you have all the goodies it is called RVing. Be Safe and Be Happy
Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we had or 5er we placed a generator in one of the large storage compartments. You'll have to be careful of exhaust fumes and fueling so be sure to seek advice. The Honda generators our very quite. I've also ran them in the back of my pickup and just plugged in when needed. One last thing, if you use a generator you will have to be aware of campground rules and/or cautious about others around you, spending time on the forum will be a good way to see how others do it!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Most TTs don't carry a generator. If your battery does not give you adequate power then you will have to buy a smalll generator to get and keep the battery charged. If you are in a campground they will not let you run it during "quiet time" but you can use it during the day if you are dry camping. Assuming you are at a site with no power.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

It is actually pretty easy to "dry camp", which is camping without 110 volt hook ups. We normally dry camp for a couple of weeks in Colorado every summer. I replaced all the bulbs in my trailer with LED's which conserve power. I also added a second battery. When we are camping the only power we routinely use in the trailer is to run the water pump when we wash dishes or shower. I will hook up to the truck every couple of days and charge the batteries.

That said, I'll be getting an at least 100 watt solar unit before our trip this summer. Just makes it all more convenient and now solar kits are very affordable.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Most travel trailers don't have the option of adding a generator. However, some do...some models of Arctic Fox, for example, do have the option of adding a generator. Many of the toy haulers have the option of adding a generator, too.

You can always buy a portable generator...a quiet inverter model such as Honda or Yamaha, not one of the loud contractor generators...to use while dry camping.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. I am definitely more of an RVr than a camper We would be using it as a portable hotel room as much as we'd be using it to be outdoors.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

Most Northwood Rv's come pre wired and pre plumbed for a factory or dealer installed generator (Artic Fox, Nash, etc...). They are LP units and do consume a lot of fuel.

However, many campers prefer to use a portable inverter generator as they are much quieter. A 1000W unit is plenty to charge batteries but you'll need at least 2400W to start the air conditioner.

Another cheaper alternative (if you don't need the air con) is Solar. 150-200watt Solar setup costs about the same as a 1000W inverter generator and will keep the refrigerator, water pump and moderate light usage going indefinitely. (even on LP, the fridge consumes DC power).

Just running on batteries is also an option. We have led lights and running the fridge on LP, moderate use of lights and the water pump gives us about 3-4 days autonomy.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
As has been said, most trailers don't have generators and installing one adds weight, takes up storage, and costs more than a portable generator. Don't go cheap on the generator, the more you pay, the quieter and more satisfied you'll be. Honda is the 'Mercedes' of generators, Harbor Freight or other work site generators are the 'Yugos.'
Solar cells can keep your batteries charged, but you won't be running air conditioning with them. Just some things to consider.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Best thing to do is have at least two batteries to start with. If you're TT is not purchased then see about upgrading the battery to two 6V Trojan golf cart batteries. They will give you more usage and require less gen run time. Also change out your interior lights to LED style. IIRC you can run quite a few LEDs for the same amp draw as a single standard 12v light.
Next do your neighbors a favor and purchase an quiet gen like a Honda or Yamaha. There are one or two others that are nearly as quiet and a little cheaper. If you're only needing the gen for battery recharges or a coffee pot in the morning then a 2000W would be fine.
On rainy days we can run our Honda 200W gen while watching a movie and the Honda just idles. If you can place it behind a tree or like object you won't hardly notice it.
Two good 6V golf cart batteries and being fairly conservative will get you 2 nights and 2 days. At least that's how it worked for us. There are lots of things you can do to conserve power. We like to run our XM radio, plus a few other things and we don't scrimp on lighting. Others can go longer than us. 3-4 days. But we figure it's not roughing it being in a trailer out camping so why rough it with all the amenities.
Just don't by the 3500W contractor style gen that sells for $400.00. Those are too loud and not only will your neighbors hate it and you. You will get tired of it too.

If you're camping out in the boonies and by your self then it won't matter. 95% of the Gens I see are either Yamaha or Honda when we camp. That tells me something.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

AC would be our primary concern as we are in the south in the summer
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #13

OK, then built in propane, Onan / Cummins 2500 will run the AC. It burns about 1 1/2 lbs of lp an hour and runs at 70db, but it's very convenient with push button start.

A Yamaha ef2400 runs at about 60 dB, will start most 13.5 rv ACs and sips gas.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #14

We just recently sold our Lance truck camper that had a built-in Onan 2700W propane generator. We used it sparingly because of the noise.

For the TT I purchased a Honda EU2000i so that I could have some power when my battery was low and the sun wasn't shining on the solar panels. ( I will be CG hosting in the Sierra this summer in a CG with no hookups.) The Honda will start my AC at sea level on a moderately warm (about 90 degree) day, but I seriously doubt it would start it at 7000' in the Sierras. However I don't think I'll need AC at that altitude.

The Honda is a quiet, but fairly costly alternative. There are some quiet gennies that are less expensive and have pretty good reputations. The Champion line is an example. I went with the Honda because of the warranty and because I figured it would be the last generator I would need to purchase.

Good luck with your choice. BTW, if you intend to haul stuff you might want to look at toy haulers. They do normally have generators, or at least a compartment for one.