Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Ideas for winter RV'ing close to home

This will be the first winter with our new RV and am wondering if anyone has ideas for RVing (close to home) over the winter? We live in Nashville, TN so it usually doesn't get super cold (at least not for long) here. Most of the campgrounds in our area (state & local) seem to close up for the winter, so do we just wait it out for spring? Thanks everyone!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

Don't know your area real well, but we would love to visit again.
From my limited experience:
Branson was fun with lots for the whole family, or just for two.
Springfield has Fantastic Caverns, which where fantastic, and the tour is by Jeep and trailer so there is really no walking.
ProBass and the Nature Museum next to it are good for a day of exploring.
I would love to visit the Presidential Library, Clinton's, (I'm told it's a lovely triple-wide....that's a joke).
Anyway, hope to make it your way next year. I'll be watching this post to see what other suggestions come up.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

You could go over to the Pigeon Forge area, next to the Smoky Mountains. Lot's of campgrounds to choose from.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live about 80 miles east of you and as we are retired, we do head south for the winter. I would think that anywhere to the south of the state line would have lots of open campgrounds if you get to the Birmingham area. Southwest TN around Memphis area should have open campgrounds also.

Why not just say the heck with it and go to Gulf Shores, not that far away!

burfurd
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

I'm hoping someone has some local, or even boondocking ideas for the winter. Weekender trips, I have two little ones. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #6

This may be too far, but J.P. Coleman state park in the north east corner of Mississippi is open year round. There are some parks in the Memphis area as well. Mississippi parks are open year round. I have't been to J.P. Coleman, it is on my list of parks I want to visit.
Kaexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
This will be the first winter with our new RV and am wondering if anyone has ideas for RVing (close to home) over the winter? We live in Nashville, TN so it usually doesn't get super cold (at least not for long) here. Most of the campgrounds in our area (state & local) seem to close up for the winter, so do we just wait it out for spring? Thanks everyone!
I live in St. Louis, MO but we travel to Nashville a lot & were just in Gatlinburg! I would try Big South Fork of the Cumberland. It is a National Rec Area & I am sure the camping is open year around! They have water & electric! I would think that some of your State Parks like Fall Creek Falls are still opened as our S Parks stay opened year round! Kentucky's do close for the winter around Nov. Slade, Ky has a private Campground that is very nice & is very close to Koomer Ridge & Red River Gorge & Natural Bridges SP! Good Luck!
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The Smokey Mountain area is a no brainer, lots of campgrounds and things to do in the area, year around. Also, we recently spent several days here: Campfire Lodgings Pricey, but the view from the premium sites is to die for. It's just minutes from Asheville NC, not all that far from you. Be forwarned, however, the entrance road is steep, narrow and winding. If you're not fully comfortible with your new rig, you may want to disconnect the toad before you tackle it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Site P2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	28483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00064.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	28484  

2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think Standing Stone State Park is open year around as is Fall Creek Falls State Park. Check TN State Parks website. They will give you lots of choices.

burfurd