RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Ideas to Lock Television in Place

Hey everyone,

I installed a tv in the bedroom of the TT. But it doesn't lock into place. I'm a little worried about it articulating out when towing. I really won't ever need to articulate this tv out. Where it is placed is perfect for viewing for the bed. I figure I have a few options:
1. Buy one of those mounts that has the locking pin underneath. But this would mean taking out the current mount and installing that mount. I'd really rather not do that.
2. Take the tv off the mount, put it in the box it came in each time I'm going to town. Would mean an extra 5 minutes when arriving and leaving.
3. Put a couple hooks behind the tv on the wall and connect them to the mount with tiny bunjee cords, just putting enough force to hold the tv against the wall if it wants to articulate out.
4. Something else? Anyone have ideas that have worked?

Maybe I'm being paranoid. But I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one. I have to give it a little force to get the tv to articulate out. It doesn't just move on its own. But with a sudden stop, I'm worried about what could happen.

If anyone has constructive ideas, I'd appreciate them!

avigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #2

Is there anyway you can screw in a couple eye bolts on either side of tv? You could get a soft covered bungee cord to hold it in place. Thatís how ours is held in place in living area

SSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
When I had that type of mount I bought a roll of two side hook and loop or Velcro and made a strap for it
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #4

I use two bungy cords to keep the 40 inch tv I installed in place. There was some play in the mount and the TV could get caught in a slide.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Check into quake straps. I used them for a previous articulating TV and they worked great. Amazon has them.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
Hey everyone,

I installed a tv in the bedroom of the TT. But it doesn't lock into place. I'm a little worried about it articulating out when towing. I really won't ever need to articulate this tv out. Where it is placed is perfect for viewing for the bed. I figure I have a few options:
1. Buy one of those mounts that has the locking pin underneath. But this would mean taking out the current mount and installing that mount. I'd really rather not do that.
2. Take the tv off the mount, put it in the box it came in each time I'm going to town. Would mean an extra 5 minutes when arriving and leaving.
3. Put a couple hooks behind the tv on the wall and connect them to the mount with tiny bunjee cords, just putting enough force to hold the tv against the wall if it wants to articulate out.
4. Something else? Anyone have ideas that have worked?

Maybe I'm being paranoid. But I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one. I have to give it a little force to get the tv to articulate out. It doesn't just move on its own. But with a sudden stop, I'm worried about what could happen.

If anyone has constructive ideas, I'd appreciate them!
Commercial strength Velcro will lock it in Place.

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-...ack+commercial

I keep a roll of this stuff - just like electrical tape - has Many, Many uses.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one of those nylon straps that click together like a belt. One end of each strap is permanently mounted on the MH, the other ends wrap around the front of the TV and clip together before we hit the road.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #8

I used magnetic door stops on an older coach. I use magnets to secure many things that need to be movable at some point.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone for the help!

I ordered the commercial strength velcro. It looks like it will work really well!
avigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSean View Post
Is there anyway you can screw in a couple eye bolts on either side of tv? You could get a soft covered bungee cord to hold it in place. Thatís how ours is held in place in living area
I used a similar set up with my TV, it worked very well.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSean View Post
I did the same thing, and the TV has survived 6,000 miles so far.👍
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #12

I put a couple eyebolts in a stud above and below the TV and a flat, fabric covered bungee cord between them. Bought everything at Harbor freight. Using this setup on both a 40" (Main Living area) and a 27" (Bedroom) TV that are both on articulating arms.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I choose #3
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #14

I installed locking display hangers on both displays. Just took the old one off. Wally World has them on sale for 19.99 each.

I also had some stiffer plastic packing material that I cut and place above both displays while traveling. It cuts down on vibration. I just wedge it in between the display and ceiling. When I get to the CG I just pull off the packing and store it. I doubt very much I need it but I am paranoid and slipping the packing in place takes seconds. It doesnít allow any wobble or vibration.
I didnít like the original mounts. I expect if I hit a bad bump they would have jumped right out of the original hangers.
Its been 3+ years and no issues.

Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, television