Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

I'm Really Happy With My Travel Trailer

I am so used to seeing threads here and other places where people are very unhappy with their travel trailer. There is a litany of reasons why they are unhappy, but most common seems to be the quality of workmanship.

I own a 2010 Skyline Nomad 297 which has given me no problems that I didn't bring on myself. My trailer seems to be overbuilt with a CCC of over 4,000 pounds and everything on it and in it has stayed intact for five years now. Every appliance works as well as it did the day it was purchased and I have spent nothing on repairs for them. I have gone through a couple of awnings and a few tires, but those have nothing to do with the manufacturer.

I have never had to get any warranty work performed -- that's probably because I purchased an extended warranty.

Surely, there are some people out there like me who are happy with their travel trailer. Who are you, and what do you own?

Bruce

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the post. It's always nice to hear such reports. Not a travel trailer but my Bounder gave me five similar years.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

I'm Happy - Happy with mine too! It's a 2006 Salem LE sport toy hauler. I got it back in 12 when it was barely 6 but well taken care of. I stole it (well, it was almost given to me) when I wasn't even looking for a trailer. The little things that I have had to fix were wear and maintenance stuff.
Love that I can load the bike and go and have my own bed without setting up a tent anymore.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

We went from a motor home to a small travel trailer (Coachmen Clipper). Got tired of the high gas prices and high maintenance costs. This has everything we need, and was inexpensive to purchase and is easy to tow with our Honda Ridgeline. So far everything works well except for the water heater which had a defective circuit board. We're glad we made the switch. Remains to be seen how everything holds up for the long term.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #5

Have had my newest trailer for 3 years now and been out in it about 15 times. Only problem I've had was of my own making. I did spend a little time tightening up and adjusting a few things the first few trips. My rule is if it rattles loose once there wont be a second time with a lil Locktite thrown in there. Everything else I've done to mine has been maintenance or modifications to make some things better suit us as we see a need or better idea.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am so used to seeing threads here and other places where people are very unhappy with their travel trailer. There is a litany of reasons why they are unhappy, but most common seems to be the quality of workmanship.

I own a 2010 Skyline Nomad 297 which has given me no problems that I didn't bring on myself. My trailer seems to be overbuilt with a CCC of over 4,000 pounds and everything on it and in it has stayed intact for five years now. Every appliance works as well as it did the day it was purchased and I have spent nothing on repairs for them. I have gone through a couple of awnings and a few tires, but those have nothing to do with the manufacturer.

I have never had to get any warranty work performed -- that's probably because I purchased an extended warranty.

Surely, there are some people out there like me who are happy with their travel trailer. Who are you, and what do you own?

Bruce
Bruce, yep, there are some of us out here with similar experience. I traded my 2006 18K Fleetwood Pioneer last year for a 2014 Black Rock 19B. When we bought our Fleetwood new, in 2006, we did the same thing - loaded up on warranty....and never needed it. Like yourself, never had problems we didn't create. Paid attention through the years to roof and caulking, and the trailer repaid us with reliable service. It was a bottom-of-the-line trailer, but it was clearly made by people who cared about what they did. The workmanship wasn't pretty, but it was solid. We traded it in not because it was starting to fail, but because we became empty nesters, and wanted something more comfortable for our needs - queen island bed instead of a corner double, dinette at the end of the trailer with three windows.

We choose the Black Rock because of the high quality of construction and materials. We anticipate the same as we got from the Fleetwood - many years of reliable trouble-free use. The next 10 years will tell!

Nick B
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Good stories.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

I have a Nash 22H 2005 model year. Couldn't be happier and it is the last trailer I will buy. Fits us perfectly and no reason to spend more. It was in very good shape when I purchased it and with the updates I've done it is perfect for me. All Northwood products are high quality and seem to be built by people who care. No problems and I enjoy puttering around with it.
Seems like the newer trailers are built cheaper and some I've seen have axles under rated for the GVWR. I don't understand it except that most aren't willing to spend the dollars for the quality they say they want. Manufacturers produce what buyers will spend.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #9

Bruce,

2000 Skyline 22' Nomad.

Purchased "used" 3-years ago from the original owner. He was located in Salt Lake & I drove from Boise, Idaho to buy it (5-hours away). Everything has worked perfect since purchase. It was kept indoors & waxed twice a year by the original owner & rarely used. The microwave & oven had never been turned on, but both work great. I have added stabilizer jacks, electric tongue jack, digital thermostat + other mods of course, we all do. Replaced the tires ( it still had the originals on it, yikes !!). Even though I don't have indoor storage, I keep it covered in the winter and it goes to the car wash after each use, the water still beads up on it. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Mine's fine... must have been built on Wednesday... However, the grand-child population is exploding in my family. A little over 4 years ago I had none... now I have 6. We will be upgrading to a bunk-house model sometime in the next couple of years. I just hope the next one is as trouble-free as this one has been.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

2011 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Going on our 5th Thanksgiving in this rig. We spend about 50 nites/yr in it, took it to east to the Great Smokeys, north to Minnesota and twice across the continental divide in Colorado. Been in temps from 17deg to over 100. It is on the 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of brakes and just repacked the bearings this summer. It is an awesome trailer and is wearing very well.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
VTR

I was going to star a thread like this! Have no issues with our KZ Spree Escape 2012 16 BH.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love my little 14 ft Dutchmen. Only problems were ones that our dealer found on the end of year check-up/winterizing visits. I bought it new with no extended warranty.

First year it was the power inverter that was replaced under warranty.

The second year I was antsy about the crank for the rooftop antenna that had never been greased like the sticker on the inside said to do yearly. I think the dealer humored me by greasing it - he said no one had ever asked. But, while he was on the roof, he noticed some problems that he fixed, so we were good to go.

This is our third year. Due to family issues, we only have had it out once. But, it is my get-away in the side yard and I think it is in better condition than when we bought it.

BTW, we had a similar grandkid explosion with zero to five kiddos in three years. We permanently put a full xl mattress on the dinette bed. We can get two adults and a kid on the bed, another longways on the bottom (the oldest grandkids favorite sleeping spot), and another kid on the sofa and if needed, another on a kiddie cot on the floor. Not bad for a little TT.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #14

Happy, happy,

LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer