Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

In general, how much ......

how much harder, difficult, or dangerous is pulling a 30' TT than drving a 30-35' motorhome. I am a 65 yr old single gent who wants to go full timing and travel the country following the sun each year. I am not fully healthy, nor am I very strong any more. I keep going back and forth between buying a really nice used MH or a beautiful new TT. I am aware of the need for a vehicle to pull the TT. I am just wondering if it would be a bit harder and more dangerous trying to travel to see all the natural wonders.

Please chime in with all aspects I need to be aware of and consider and your opinion about which could be best for me.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

Welcome to IRV2, I am 69 and tow a 26' trailer. I have no problems in traffic or city's. we look at MH's and TT's and asked a lot of questions, the point that turned me to a Trailer was BIG savings, also, to go site seen we needed a car or truck to get around in, I nixed the idea of towing a car behind a MH as I already had a truck. plus it would make the MH to long for me to turn in town, so we got a TT. now is a 36' MH 36' from bumper to bumper or is living area 36'?
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I'm a 63 y/o single gent who drives a diesel crew cab pickup pulling a 29' 5th wheel.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
IMHO, here is what you should consider if you get a TT that you won't deal with in a MH:
  • Hitching & unhitching
  • Backing up
  • Setting weight distributing system
  • Taking wider turns (you'll need to do this in MH but not as extreme)

There is undoubtedly more physical exertion in setting up a TT but I can't say it is overwhelming by any means. FWIW, it sounds like you would be better off with a MH.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

I went from a 31' TT to a 5'er. IMO the 5'er is easier on the body to hitch/unhitch. Not dealing with the sway bar stuff. You do have to squat down to do the front jack pads but it isn't bad.
The 5'er tows nicer than the TT and takes up less room length wise.
Depending on the MH they can be fairly expensive. If you stay with gas it's cheaper. Also tire size is another factor. 22.5" tires are outrageously expensive. Staying with a smaller tire helps. Maintenance can be an issue as not everywhere you go can you find service for a MH. But in reality it shouldn't sway the decision.
Towing a TT you just have to deal with the truck/SUV for maintenance, which is basic.
If you go the MH route then are you going to need a car to tow along? More to deal with also.
JMO but in order of preference I would go
5'er
TT
MH.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

I've had both. Motorhome is the only way to go for ease of travel and setting up and tearing down. We can set up and level the rig in the rain and snow and never go outside. Just start the geny if we need power, plug in later when the rain stops. We carry no blocks of any kind, and never need any. I vote for a motorhome. If you want to go park it for 6 months at a time, it doesn't matter much, but to travel a motorhome is much nicer and easier.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Last year I went from a motorhome, pulling a car, to a truck, pulling a trailer. The cost of gas was cut in half. That said. I MISS MY MOTORHOME..... I would rather drive, set-up, a motorhome. So much more "convenient", especially at rest areas. Being retired, on a fixed income, i had to reduce my costs. But... if you can afford it, go the motorhome route. BUT... again , another "but", I sleep the same, eat the same, relax the same, in either one. As someone said, if you park it a trailer would be sufficient. If you want to see the U S A , a motorhome would do it better.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote