Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

In Line Fuse

I need some assistance. I have a 2011 Skyline Nomad Joey 26. I replaced the battery with a new one and the converter is working fine as I tested it. I have been told that there is an in line fuse somewhere in the positive line leading from the battery to inside. My battery does not seem to charge enough. I have checked all of the fuses in the WFCO compartment and all are fine. I can't seem to find an in line fuse anywhere. There is a plastic black box near the battery with a clear small lens which appears to be a light on top. I noticed that the wires from the battery also go in and out of that box. I am assuming that is the break away box. Can anyone tell me where I might find the in line fuse and if there is one to the battery? I have been told that if this fuse is blown that the battery will not charge. Everything else is good. I cannot find a wiring diagram from Skyline and they haven't responded to my emails. Thank you.
Nj1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say the battery is not charging enough, what do you mean? If you check the battery voltage at the battery with the converter off and again with the converter on you should see a definite increase with the converter on, typically about .5 to 1.0 volt. If you are seeing any increase in this check there is not a blown fuse between the converter and battery.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Before you go diving off, are you getting 13.5V or so to the battery hot wire with it disconnected from the battery? If the hot wire is disconnected from the battery and still hot, it's getting power from the converter and you're good.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Battery

The battery shows full for a few minutes and then it goes down fast when I disconnect from the 30 amp outlet at the house. I checked the amps and the converter is fine. The battery just does not stay charged. This just happened this past year. It used to stay charged for a long time just using the interior 12 volt lights. Now it goes down from full to one red light on the indicator in a real short period of time. I did not check it at the battery. I checked it at the converter so perhaps I should check it at the battery cable outside. If the converter checks fine inside and is not putting out at the battery cable outside what would cause that? My understanding is that there is an in line fuse that would cause this. Skyline says there is a 40 amp circuit breaker near the battery line outside. Do they mean a fuse? I have looked all over and can't find one. I thought it might be under that black box near the battery.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #5

No, they mean circuit breaker, but I bet that's not your problem. Check the charge wire at the battery; if it's charging, then worry about something else further.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

In Line Fuse

I finally received a call from Skyline. The in line fuse was in the junction box near the battery and it was blown which apparently was causing the battery not to charge properly. Replaced it and now the battery is charging fine. Thanks.

Tags
fuse