Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Info needed: Rear view camera for travel trailer.

I am needing a good deal of input, here, from those of you who have installed a rear view camera system on your travel trailer. I don't like driving or backing up blind when towing my 20' Prowler TT. There are so many units online that it is tough to figure out where to start. I want to install the camera on my rear bumper with a quick disconnect system, to prevent theft when I'm not with the RV, and I will need to run the cord from the rear bumper to the hitch and have another disconnect there that mates up with a cable that will run to the monitor in my truck cab. Any and all info/recommendations are greatly appreciated along with costs I should expect for the camera, cables, monitor, connectors, etc. Thanks!
rvguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have a factory-installed Camos video camera on the rear of my trailer. Here's a picture of the system.

I recommend that you install it up high rather than on the bumper so you can see more. These cameras have such wide angles that you will be able to see the horizon down nearly to your rear bumper, making it easy to see how far you are from any obstacles when backing. When driving, you'll be able to see over the vehicle immediately behind you and get a better feel for traffic. I also use mine to keep an eye on the motorcycles on my Hydralift.

The camera doesn't look like much. It's white and blends in with the trailer gelcoat. Most people never notice it. I don't think anyone would think of taking it. The video cable runs through the insulation in the rear cap and then forward with a wiring bundle into the generator compartment in front where it connects to a transmitter. But frankly the transmitter is strong enough to shoot all the way through the trailer into my truck cab with no problem. I tried it.

Make sure you install a power switch for the camera and transmitter so it doesn't draw down your battery when you're camped. Expect to pay about $700.

Good luck!
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
I have a factory-installed Camos video camera on the rear of my trailer. Here's a picture of the system.

I recommend that you install it up high rather than on the bumper so you can see more. These cameras have such wide angles that you will be able to see the horizon down nearly to your rear bumper, making it easy to see how far you are from any obstacles when backing. When driving, you'll be able to see over the vehicle immediately behind you and get a better feel for traffic. I also use mine to keep an eye on the motorcycles on my Hydralift.

The camera doesn't look like much. It's white and blends in with the trailer gelcoat. Most people never notice it. I don't think anyone would think of taking it. The video cable runs through the insulation in the rear cap and then forward with a wiring bundle into the generator compartment in front where it connects to a transmitter. But frankly the transmitter is strong enough to shoot all the way through the trailer into my truck cab with no problem. I tried it.

Make sure you install a power switch for the camera and transmitter so it doesn't draw down your battery when you're camped. Expect to pay about $700.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the reply. Was a picture supposed to be included? Am I understanding, correctly, that you hard-wire to a wireless transmitter that is in the front of your TT, and from there go wireless to your cab? How long is the total distance from the camera to your monitor? You said your system could go the distance, wireless. If I can get a reliable wireless to do the 35' from camera to monitor, for my application, I think I'll opt for that. Also, can you give me the exact model number for your unit. Of the $700, was labor/installation included? Thanks, again, for your time, here.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Sorry the picture didn't come through. Here's a link to the website that includes a pic, the model number and all the specs.

Camos RV-752 Complete Rearview Camera System

The $700 is just for the hardware. Installation would be more if you have it done.

Yes, the transmitter will shoot all the way from the back of your trailer to the front of your cab. That's the way mine was originally installed and the distance, about 35 feet, was no problem. But the transmitter failed by degrees, which led us to believe that the distance was too far. My trailer mfgr relocated the transmitter to the front of the trailer before we figured out that we just needed to replace it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #5

Hmmm--This is interesting, to me. I thought I'd get a great deal of replies, here. I am thinking that this forum is not as large as I was hoping.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I think there are lots of members on the site, but very few use these cameras. I only know one other person with a rear view camera. He got it because he tows a wave runner behind his travel trailer and the camera is the only way he can keep an eye on it. Without such an application, most people don't see the need for a camera. After having one myself, I wouldn't be without it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I have a back up camera installed on an Escape 17B. The system comes from Rear View Safety, and consists of two cameras, one for the tow & one on the trailer, and a 5" monitor. They currently supply 7" monitors, and as an option, the disconnect for the trailer.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found this digital wireless system interesting. I just saw it in The RV Travel Newsletter this morning. I would think it would be great on the back of a trailer behind a motorhome. Of course real life use from a user would be good. Here is a link to YouTube from the newsletter.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Looks good. I'll wait until a few pop for them and then see how the reviews go. I like the idea of one on one digital communication that eliminates outside interference, the bane of many, if not most, completely wireless systems. The system is a bit pricey, but if it works extremely well, I might not mind spending the money.