Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Inherited a used travel trailer...sink drains directly to the street!

I inherited a 2002 R-vision Trail-Lite 27' travel trailer, and it is in fairly rough condition. One of the big problems seems to be that the sink drain was disconnected from any sort of holding tank and instead just routed straight down and drains directly to the street. There are some holes in the floor with spray-foam insulation in them; I'm guessing one of these holes goes to the grey-water tank that the sink was supposed to drain to. Does anyone have some input on this problem by chance?

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Sure. I can provide some input and others will chime in as well.

Most of us can only provide general input - yes the sink should drain to a grey tank (separate from toilet tank or black tank). The bathroom sink and shower should also drain to the grey tank.

If the sink is in the original location from factory, there should be a vent near by that extends up to the roof - usually the horizontal drain from the P-trap under the sink will tie into this pipe with the water draining down to the tank (somewhere) and the vapors travelling up to the roof and existing out a plumbing vent on the roof.

Can you see two tanks under the floor, either from under the trailer or through the hole , once you remove the spray foam insulation.

You will have to re-run the plumbing pipe to the grey tank, or leave it as is and put a bucket under the sink drain and carry it to a disposal place.

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

They do make portable 'tanks' just for that and they have wheels on one end so when you need to dump the tank, you can roll it to the dump station.

No, it can't just drain 'out'. (unless you're camping on your own property)
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the helpful input! I'll do some more investigating this evening and see if I can locate the tanks. The bottom of the trailer has sheetmetal spanning the entire length/width, so I don't see any access to the tanks from underneath. I'll shine a flashlight down the holes to see what I can determine. I may take a few pics and post those for further clarification.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

As mentioned above, the least amount of work on your part would be to put a portable grey water tank under the trailer where the sink drains to.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ey%2Caps%2C172
Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
As mentioned above, the least amount of work on your part would be to put a portable grey water tank under the trailer where the sink drains to.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ey%2Caps%2C172

That's pretty neat! Other than the inconvenience, is there any serious disadvantage to doing this and avoiding tearing into the plumbing?

Also, is it common for someone to re-route their plumbing this way? What would be the reason for doing so?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamShoey View Post
That's pretty neat! Other than the inconvenience, is there any serious disadvantage to doing this and avoiding tearing into the plumbing?

Also, is it common for someone to re-route their plumbing this way? What would be the reason for doing so?
It is a hack fix, if you ask me. Probably the pipe broke and leaked so drain outside to street easiest fix.

Older tent trailers (my 1978 Bonair), and maybe some old hardwalled, had sink drain to outside hose that was directed to a bucket. No tanks installed. They also did not have a toilet .

Hope this helps,
Brian
Old 10-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some folks have their gray water routed to an outside pipe and they park so that pipe is right over a storm drain. The grey water goes right into the storm drain, then in most places right into a nearby waterway, groundwater, etc. Not ideal for sure.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THis is common on small trailers like the ones I used to tow. So I towed a "Blue Boy" waste tote.. I think mine was 10 gallons.. But I'd suggest either a 5 or a 15.. The 15 (on the blue ones) you can get a "Fork" that makes it towable Larger ones come already with a hitch coupler handle. but I was able to modify the fork to fit my wrong size tank.. So I liked it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

Lots of popups and smaller trailers have their sink drain to the outside and require a grey water tote or bucket to collect it.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #11

My opinion is that if you don't fix this tank issue you will not be happy. Having to keep sliding a portable tank under the trailer and then connecting to drain to it will get old quick. Fix it or sell it and have the new one inspected for such issues if you feel the need.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #12

2002 Trail Cruiser should have a black and gray tank. Pretty sure the sheet metal is not original either.

FYI there's an R-vision specific forum at www.r-visioncamping.org. Someone there may have the same model you do and may be able to provide info specific to your tt.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
The bathroom sink and shower should also drain to the grey tank.
In more rigs than people realize the bath sink goes to the black tank. They do that because some people don't put enough water down the toilet and the extra water helps clean out the solids in the black tank. Both our Dutch Stars were that way, not sure about the Magna yet!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In more rigs than people realize the bath sink goes to the black tank. They do that because some people don't put enough water down the toilet and the extra water helps clean out the solids in the black tank. Both our Dutch Stars were that way, not sure about the Magna yet!
I was not aware of any RVs that had the sink drain to the black tank; I always thought the RVIA code mandated the separation. I learn something everyday.....

Brian

Tags
travel, travel trailer