Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Inline Water Filter or at the Faucet?

I have used an inline water filter attached to my fresh water supply hose, but thought that a Pur filter on the faucet might be better, especially if I want to drink the water. I'm NOT happy with the Pur as it appears to be plugged and I've only used it on two camping trips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Fays
Jayco Jay Flight G2, 31RKS, Reese Dual Cam, 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Durimax Turbo Diesel
Fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
All filters will reduce flow to a degree and I really don't care if the water I use to shower or flush the toilet is filtered. I vote for under the sink but you need to make sure it's installed properly to ensure no leaks and understand there WILL be some leakage whenever you change the filter. Also, remember to drain/remove the filter when winterizing.
In the S&B, I have a 6-stage reverse osmosis system feeding to an independent faucet on the kitchen sink we use for all drinking and cooking water. That produces 99.99% pure H2O. Not sure that system would work in an RV as it's too big.

Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
An inline filter will catch the sediment and keep it out of the water heater and the faucet screens. A PUR type filter would be a good idea for the drinking water. So, the best case would be to use both. The sediment filter should make the PUR filter last much longer.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
We have a Pur faucet style. While it does filter out bad tasting water and whatever else, I don't like how slow it runs in the filter mode. Also if your faucet is on the low side it will interfere with using the sink at times. We've had faucet type filters for the last 3-4 yrs and come this summer will switch to an under sink style.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
We had a lot of trouble with the on faucet PUR's lasting in use due to the plastic threads for attachment and rotation. We switched to Brita which we liked better but had similar problems eventually. Now Brita has come out with a unit with brass attachment threads...no more problems and good water.
I'd also suggest a fairly coarse in line filter on the hose or as a perma mount at the point of attachment in the coach to keep sediment, metals etc. out of the tanks & heaters without degrading water pressure. But for drinking water...the PUR/Brita type stuff works better to keep the bad stuff out of you. If you can't stand the loss of pressure on the sink filtered water, the solution is the pitchers that filter from Brita and nothing on the faucet. Cold ice water in the fridge has saved me from some unneeded calories!
Cam... Georgetown 280DS 2015
Vespa Lx150 2013 Stella Auto125 2014
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
We go with 1 2 or 3 inline filters depending on the source. Always a ceramic carbon which gets out the pollywogs and some contaminants, a second filter takes it down a bit further and for when I am taking water out of streams and lakes I add a First Need which gets it all NBC (nuclear biological chemical). Pur filters take out chlorine and very little else, RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV To compare specific filters Listing Category Search Page | NSF International
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
This is what we use. Less than $40.00. Carbon filters are $10.00. Easy to take out for winter. Got it at Amazon.
Attached Images
2016 Wildwood 28RLDS
2014 Tundra 1794 Platnum,"23" T-Bucket
2011 Harley Softail, 2010 Spyder RTS
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use an inline filter to filter the water before it gets to the coach and then we use a Britta Pitcher for drinking water. We keep the Britta pitcher in the refrigerator so we can have a cold drink when we want one.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best is both, First your "inline" filter needs to be as close to the RV as possible (many hook up up to the park spigot, Mine is actually INSIDE the wet bay (lies on the floor) about 18" of out of the sun clear hose from the city water inlet)

This will catch most of the crud that comes in, I will describe a simple filter shortly.

Then use the PUR, or in my case a BRITTA on the drinking water faucet.

Now the simple filter.. You will need some 2-3" PVC and some adapters (Including at least one threaded set) and some stainless or plastic drain covers. (Stainless is best here) or stainless screen.

On one one end of the pipe glue on a reducer (Down to 3/4" threaded) into which you have screwed a garden hose adapter, Techincally it could be male or female but I put the male connector there.

BEFORE you glue on the reducer, cut down a drain cover and slip it in (This is why Stainless is better than plastic, Thinner) (I used one of each)

Now on the other end glue on the threaded coupling and screw a reducer into it.. In my case I put a pair (male/female) of threaded couplers about an inch below the end and slipped another drain cover in the reducer (you will want one there so this may be the best way)

Now, Stuff it as follows

Some Fish Tank "Filter Floss"

A bottle of plain activated charcoal, (Not the algae control kind but the plain stuff, Same isle in the store as the floss)

Fill the tube with more floss, pack it in a bit.

Screw it together tightly so it does not lead

Oh, the other end gets the FEMALE garden hose adapter. From there I added a couple of RIGHT ANGLE adapters, Pressure Reglator #2 and a quick disconnect fitting.

(PR 1 goes at the spigot if needed)

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote