Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Insect screens

Hello all. I am new and so excited to be here.

I want to get insect screens for my Travel Trailer (Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 21FSB) but I am so lost in figuring out which ones I need. I have no idea all the areas or opening that would need one. I know I want a set for the refrigerator because I was told mice can build their nests in there. I DON"T WANT THAT, FOR SURE! I just don't know which ones to get. Can anyone help me figure this out?

TIA!
gridless777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridless777 View Post
Hello all. I am new and so excited to be here.

I want to get insect screens for my Travel Trailer (Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 21FSB) but I am so lost in figuring out which ones I need. I have no idea all the areas or opening that would need one. I know I want a set for the refrigerator because I was told mice can build their nests in there. I DON"T WANT THAT, FOR SURE! I just don't know which ones to get. Can anyone help me figure this out?

TIA!
It's not that hard, but you need to know what make/model your appliances are. Once you know that, then Camco is a good source. Try this page to find the screens you need, and then go find the screens themselves. I've gotten insect screens at my dealer, CW, and Walmart. Walmart is always cheapest, but you usually have to order them online and then do in-store pickup.

I got furnace screens that way for both my TTs, and got refrigerator screens for my new one. Very happy.

Roger
Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

P.S. Knowing the dimensions of your furnace vent will also be helpful.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
It's not that hard, but you need to know what make/model your appliances are. Once you know that, then Camco is a good source. Try this page to find the screens you need, and then go find the screens themselves. I've gotten insect screens at my dealer, CW, and Walmart. Walmart is always cheapest, but you usually have to order them online and then do in-store pickup.

I got furnace screens that way for both my TTs, and got refrigerator screens for my new one. Very happy.

Roger
Thank you for the information. I guess too I should have said that I need to know what pieces on the trailer need a screen.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

Essentially, any openings where wasps and yellow jackets might find a safe haven to build their nests. They make them for nearly every opening. Look near the furnace and refrigerator exhausts/vents and near the hot water tank. They make round screen covers that can snap right on or attach to those areas. But, see the dimensions on your trailer first so you don't buy something that won't work
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Thanks, Dan!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
One note regarding the screens for the refrigerator vents, the set I ordered came with two tie wraps per vent to secure the screen in place; I found I needed two more tie wraps per screen to pull the screen as flush to the vent as to leave absolutely no gap.

As noted above, in addition to the refrigerator, I also put screens over the exhausts for the water heater and the furnace.

CAMCO also makes end caps for the rear bumper that are designed to prevent insects from entering if your end caps have the large hole in the center.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
One note regarding the screens for the refrigerator vents, the set I ordered came with two tie wraps per vent to secure the screen in place; I found I needed two more tie wraps per screen to pull the screen as flush to the vent as to leave absolutely no gap.

As noted above, in addition to the refrigerator, I also put screens over the exhausts for the water heater and the furnace.

CAMCO also makes end caps for the rear bumper that are designed to prevent insects from entering if your end caps have the large hole in the center.
X2 on everything but the water heater, especially agree on the extra ties for the refrigerator vent screens (mine's a Dometic with 3 louvres). Have not screened the water heater on my TT. Maybe I should.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
First thing I did to each of my 3 TTs when they were new... and worth every nickel. My friend spent $750- last year because mud daubers built a nest in his furnace.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Another good place to protect is your AC shroud. Regular screen material and Gorilla tape worked well for me. You might want to look underneath your unit for anywhere critters can get in and seal those areas up.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. This subject scares the crap out of me. I want to get on this A.S.A.P. Hubby doesn't seem to be as concerned as I am but I HATE critters.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Carolina Campers
I know first hand what mud daubers will do. I have a boat that stays in storage over the winter. The last two seasons I had nests under the plastic shroud that covers the motor. This last year, I noticed the water was not cycling out of the engine port when I started the engine. Long story short, it was a mud dauber nest in the port. We are talking about a hole about the size of a drinking straw. They do not need much space to make a home.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

I have not tried this, but I've had people tell me to buy flea and tick collars, cut them into pieces and place the pieces inside the larger open areas like hot water tank and fridge vents. I guess it can't hurt :-)
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

You can find them on Amazon too. Recommend comparing price there and with a local dealer. You will be surprised at the different prices you may find. Personally have found better price online for most, but our dealer had the water heater cover at the best price. Cover the furnace outlets, refrigerator, and water heater. Those are the ones that will cause you trouble in the operation of appliances. The rest are just nuisance issues. I would also recommend checking underneath and making sure the places where things come through (like water line or sewer drain) are sealed around so critters don't try to come in there as well.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr