Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post
My TT has one GFI outlet located on the the front of the cabinet just below the counter, none on the walls above the counter. In order to plug in a toaster and/or a coffee maker you have to bring them to the very front of the counter making the counter useless while the appliances (very short cords) are in use. Could I possible use a 13amp (16/2) 6' extension cord with 2 outlet connections on it to be able to move the appliances back to a better location or would this be creating a hazard. Have any of you folks run into this problem and how did you resolve it?
Thanks
Our trailer has the same dumb set up, we have two outlets in the kitchen (GFI is in the bathroom) & no matter what you do, you still have a plug & cord that is in the way & a possible hazard. I do agree with you, "coffee first".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #16

In thinking about it I guess they install it there because there is no inside wall right there to accommodate the depth of a receptacle box. There is an outlet by the seat by the dinette. I think I'm going to buy a smaller 5 cup coffee maker, the wattage is lower, about 750 watts and I found some toasters operate at about 750-800 watts. That will put me at about 12-13 amps. So I can use the dinette table with a 15amp breaker power strip. Then I'll just put away the stuff after breakfast and that will clear up the counter and the dinette table for the rest of the day. Should be fine....
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post
In thinking about it I guess they install it there because there is no inside wall right there to accommodate the depth of a receptacle box. There is an outlet by the seat by the dinette. I think I'm going to buy a smaller 5 cup coffee maker, the wattage is lower, about 750 watts and I found some toasters operate at about 750-800 watts. That will put me at about 12-13 amps. So I can use the dinette table with a 15amp breaker power strip. Then I'll just put away the stuff after breakfast and that will clear up the counter and the dinette table for the rest of the day. Should be fine....
Our first trailer had more electrical outlets then we could possibly use, and they were all in the walls of the trailer. It is my opinion the placement of the outlets and the lack of outlets is a matter of convenience & cost at least in our trailer. We have two recliner chairs in the rear of the trailer, a console between them and ONE outlet on one side at floor level. Sorry a bit off topic.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #18

What I ended up doing is buying a 5 cup coffee maker (650 watts) less wattage because it's smaller/less to heat, less space. Might mean I make 2 pots some mornings. Also bought a B&D toaster rated at 750 watts. So 1400 watts running together is 11.6 amps. So no problem for the fuse. I also ended up buying a 2pack of 14ga outlet power strips at Lowes. One for the kitchen counter top and one for the dinette table. One last thing I did that works well is I bought a little bag of suction cups at Home Depot:
OOK 1 lb. 1-1/8 in. Clear Plastic Suction Cups with Hooks (4-Pack)-54402 at The Home Depot. They have little metal clips which I easily removed. Then with a little soap applied to the small end you can press them into the holes on the back of the outlet strip where screw heads would normally go. That way when I place them on the counter or dinette they stay put while in use and I can just pull them off and store them when I want. I did that because I don't like power strips flopping around and it looks neater.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now that is thinking. Problem solved.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #20

Added 20 amp circuit to TT

I got tired of tripping the main 30 amp breaker every time my wife turned on her 1800 watt hair dryer whenever the A/C and electric water heater were also running. I added an additional 20 amp breaker box under the bathroom sink. To feed this, I ran weather proof 12/3 cable from the breaker box through the floor to a weatherproof plastic box. I then use a 12 gauge extension cord to the standard 20 amp 110 v outlets on the RV park service box. From the breaker box under the sink, I wired a GFI outlet through the face of the sink cabinet and from the load side of that outlet I ran the 12/3 cable under the TT to the kitchen and installed an additional 20 amp outlet (with GFI protection through the bathroom outlet) for coffee pots, toasters, convection ovens, etc. So, whenever there are standard 20 amp/110 v outlets available in addition to the 30 amp outlet, I now have 50 amp service available. Works like a charm.
danabrodbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #21

Not enough electric outlets?

We tun an extension cord through the slide out along the rubber gasket plug it into the outlet on the electric post. The power comes through the post and we can use a power strip for extra electric stuff, even an electric skillet
Get Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #22

Sounds like a good option....I'll check out my slide seal. Thanks for the idea...