Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Inside Humidity

Hello All

Being new to this, living in southern Ga. what is the best level of humidity to maintain the unit during storage and the best way to maintain it ?

Mant Thanks Jim

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

I've struggled with the same issue.

First, I went to Home Depot and rigged up my own 30amp RV plug in the garage so I could run the AC in the driveway with the trailer basically empty and ready to store so as to dry it out as much as possible.

Second, I always make sure the fridge is completely defrosted, warm and dry inside. Doesn't take long. And always wipe it out with towels to mop up any condensation.

Third, make sure all the drains are closed.

And last but not least, I have THREE buckets of Damp-Rid going from end to end inside. They are cheap in my Walmart's RV/boat section and last at least 2-3 months in the worst GA summer humidity.

Good luck!

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

I just bought one of the buckets of Damp Rid, but could not find how large an area they will do, we have a 25ft TT and the store only had one in stock so we are starting there. Whats the humidity level you shoot for ?

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Mine is about the same size. I have one big bucket on the floor in the middle, one small one in the back under the bathroom sink and one small one up front next to the bed.
Humidity % is always relative to temperature. So humidity % goes up as temp goes down. I say that because if were to tell you 55%, it wouldn't tell you anything really.

As dry as you can keep it, is best.

I also keep all the cupboards and cabinets where there's plumbing open to let air circulate.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
I live in South Florida, where the humidity is high. I keep my TT at home, so I can plug it in and run the A/C. I used to keep it on, and set to the highest temp, so it wouldn't run a lot, but enough to keep things dried out. I didn't like this plan much, so I bought a dehumidifier. It sits on the kitchen counter, in the middle of the TT, and drains into the sink. Since it's just water, I connected a hose to the sewer drain, and it waters some of my flowers every day. I run it for 12 hours after a trip, then plug it into a timer so it runs about an hour each day. Kind of overkill, but it works great!
Warm wishes from South Florida!
Jack and Melody
30' R-Vision Stratus, 2012 Ram 2500 5.7l 4X4
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
Solo Rvers Club
DampRid | DampRid Moisture Absorber Tub 298ml | Home Depot Canada

Here is a product that can be purchased in Walmart...it absorbs the humidity, I read about it on another forum, thanks to tedguard01 He uses them all the time!

I just read the reviews, some really good tips in there!!
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Move to the desert. In west Texas, we don't have any problems with humidity for RVs in storage.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Mid Atlantic Campers
There are a lot of small dehumidifiers out there. Some made for RVs and boats. We lived on a boat 7 years in FL. I installed a small unit in one of my cabinets. Others would put one on there counter and let it drain in the sink.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have three roof vents that I leave open. They all have max air covers on them. The constant movement of air in the MH prevents moisture . I live in So. Fl. and never had an issue with moisture.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote