Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #1

Inspections

Hi
Is it safe to assume no collusion between RV inspectors & dealers, and if not, how do you find a reliable inspector?
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a rule of thumb, When it comes time to find someone to do an inspection ask the dealer who they would recommend, then cross that name off your list. There are some very reputable dealers and inspectors but I would rather cover myself. On our last house purchase I asked the real estate for their recommended inspectors, I then avoided their list and hired an inspection service from another city. The real estate agent was quite annoyed which told me something right there.
The last MH we bought I used Cummins coach care but actually was not impressed with their efforts.
A pre purchase inspection should include a oil sample analysis of engine and transmission. The cost is minimal ($ 30.00) it will cause a short delay in the process but it sure gives piece of mine knowing there are no metal filings or antifreeze in the oil.
The inspection is no guarantee that all is well and all written inspections will include wiggle clauses that absolve themselves of responsibility. In saying that I would not go without an inspection and I would not go without engine and transmission oil samples.
If the dealer shows reluctance then I would probably walk.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Here's a rule of thumb, When it comes time to find someone to do an inspection ask the dealer who they would recommend, then cross that name off your list. There are some very reputable dealers and inspectors but I would rather cover myself. On our last house purchase I asked the real estate for their recommended inspectors, I then avoided their list and hired an inspection service from another city. The real estate agent was quite annoyed which told me something right there.
The last MH we bought I used Cummins coach care but actually was not impressed with their efforts.
A pre purchase inspection should include a oil sample analysis of engine and transmission. The cost is minimal ($ 30.00) it will cause a short delay in the process but it sure gives piece of mine knowing there are no metal filings or antifreeze in the oil.
The inspection is no guarantee that all is well and all written inspections will include wiggle clauses that absolve themselves of responsibility. In saying that I would not go without an inspection and I would not go without engine and transmission oil samples.
If the dealer shows reluctance then I would probably walk.
Thanks. Sounds right about dealer recommendation. I should have mentioned I'm after a fifth wheel.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While there should be no connection between a dealer and RV inspector - you never know. That said, I can see where the realtor could be offended because you asked them who they reccommended - and then did not use them - it is a bit of an insult and shows that you don't trust them. SO I would not even ask the dealer - however one question to ask the inspector is if he has done many inspections at the dealership - if he says yes it could be a sign that there is under the table activity going on. I would interview several inspectors - ask them what they look for - do they have a printed checklist or do they just wing it - what about photos - do they pull wheels to check brakes and bearings. One thing I learned (the hard way) is if an inspector is not busy he may not be any good.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
GPW

Well we know the Insurance company is in cahoots with the dealer.. After our TT got damaged, the insurance man told me to meet him at the dealers.. I told him I could fix it myself for a couple hundred bucks .... but he Insisted the dealer should do the work and paid him $5K.. for the repairs...

Thinking now , the insurance man got a "taste" of that ...they did seem rather "chummy"...

Any local inspectors have probably already "worked" with the dealers in the past ... Best find a seasoned Old Timer with much Trailer experience , who is NOT in the business... someone who will work for you and Not a dealer ... and can give you a THOROUGH and Honest inspection..
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is so hard to prove that any kickbacks are actually happening. And yes often times the insurance adjusters are quite chummy with body shops. Sometimes it is because of kickbacks, sometimes it is because they want their customers to get good repairs.

Another thing you can do is to post some more information here about the unit you are considering - that way we can better tell you some things to look out for - for example the Norcold refer recall in 1998-1999. Taking a seasoned RVer with you is also a good idea.

Also try to get the dealer to stand behind their prep work (if they did any) by getting them to add (at no cost) a 90 day hitch to bumper warranty.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Another possibility is to use a good independent RV service facility or mobile RV service individual. I know of one individual and an independent shop that I'd use if I were looking here in the NW Harris County area and wanted an RV inspected.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote