Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #43
OK, you are using 36 volt panels. Most people use 12 volt ones.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #44
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I'm just planning ahead and didn't want to get caught "short" again. First had a 20amp controller, then a 40amp, now a 50 amp. Have a garage full of extra controllers. lol
I've arranged the panels in two strings of three panels in series, then paralleled together. I want to keep the volts up and the amps down. I'm good to 150vdc and will eventually add two more 100 watt panels. Right now, I'm around 66vdc at full sun.
A breaker above what I need right now is so I don't have to change them when I add panels. Also, I've gone to a 50amp MPPT controller since the pix. Original wire was 6 gauge, so I don't worry about that.
The Renogy website is selling an 800watt setup with a 40amp controller. It all depends on how you arrange the panel to stay within the limits.

Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #45
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

It apperes that I have the same MPPT controller as the one in your picture.

The one I have, is a 40 amp controller and the documentation states it is rated for 480 watts, max, used with a 12 volt system.

Is yours a 40 amp model or, are you using a 24 volt system and inverter?

I am also curious why you would use 65 amp breakers on the panel side your system.

In a series setup, you would only need about 15 amp breaker on the panel side.

If in a parallel arrangement, you should protect the wiring from each panel, from the other 5 backfeeding, if it dead shorts. The breaker size would be based on the gauge of the individual, panel wires.

In either case, 600 watts of panels, as current producers, are not capable of ever producing enough amps, to blow a 65 amp breaker.
The instructions that came with my setup says it's good for 600watts into the 40amp controller. I show at best 565 watts being produced by my 6 100watt panels and that is under full overhead sunlight. Fluke shows 16.4 amps.
Do you have the Renogy 40amp MPPT controller?
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #46
I am looking for the least expensive highest output solar panel I can get.

anyone have a link or phone number?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #47
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I am looking for the least expensive highest output solar panel I can get.

anyone have a link or phone number?
A lot of the cost of Solar panels is shipping. I spent a lot of time looking around locally so I could pick them up myself. Unfortunately these smaller dealers/installers may not have the best prices, but the lack of shipping costs can make up for it.

In Southern Ontario Canada, I have had purchased from solartrader.ca in Burlington and 2Solar.ca in Markham.

Paying about Can$1 per watt (~US$0.80/watt)
Good luck

2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS, 700W Solar 420Ah GC2s, 30K miles
2016 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 RegCab SLT, 11.1 mpgUS tow
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote

install, panel, solar