Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #1

Installing an additional roof vent.

I've searched YouTube, this site and many others, and can't find any information about installing an additional roof vent. I'm looking for tips on finding the best location in the roof to avoid roof trusses, wiring, etc. I have a Forest River Salem TT model 27RKSS. Right now there is only one, which is located in the bathroom. I would like to install one in the kitchen/living area and possibly one in the bedroom. Can you point me in the direction of a how-to video?
danabrodbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #2

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...travel+trailer
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #3

Installing an ADDITIONAL RV roof vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Thanks Homeless for the link, but it doesn't lead me to any videos about installing an additional roof vent, only replacing existing vent fans. I'm looking for something that would give me tips on cutting out the roof opening for the fan, routing wiring from a possibly a nearby light fixture for power, etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabrodbeck View Post
I've searched YouTube, this site and many others, and can't find any information about installing an additional roof vent. I'm looking for tips on finding the best location in the roof to avoid roof trusses, wiring, etc. I have a Forest River Salem TT model 27RKSS. Right now there is only one, which is located in the bathroom. I would like to install one in the kitchen/living area and possibly one in the bedroom. Can you point me in the direction of a how-to video?
I own a coach so my roof is quite different. However, I had a quick look at the Forest River website and there is a cutaway portion of your roof. It appears to be wooden trusses on a relatively close center-to-center spacing. My advice is to contact the manufacturer and ask your question. It's possible the have a designated location for a 2nd vent or A/C. It might be helpful if you gave the "why" ... I.E., more air, more light, both, etc. We might have easier/better suggestions.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Without more info on where, or especially pictures, the answer is it's possible, not easy, but doable.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Do you want to install a roof vent or a roof fan? Not all vents are powered. Contact the manufacturer. They will give you the rafter spacing and their thoughts as to the best location.
You only have one roof vent in a trailer that size? Do you have any non opening skylights. Seems you would have at least one. They are normally 14" so they can be removed and a Fantastic vent installed. Simple process to snag a wire to power it. I would also replace the original bath vent, even if powered, with a Fantastic vent, three speed and only blows out, model 1200.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Contacting Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Do you want to install a roof vent or a roof fan? Not all vents are powered. Contact the manufacturer. They will give you the rafter spacing and their thoughts as to the best location.
You only have one roof vent in a trailer that size? Do you have any non opening skylights. Seems you would have at least one. They are normally 14" so they can be removed and a Fantastic vent installed. Simple process to snag a wire to power it. I would also replace the original bath vent, even if powered, with a Fantastic vent, three speed and only blows out, model 1200.
Thanks,
I've been unable to contact Forest River, as I've discovered from other Forest River owners is next to impossible.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #8

I might suggest you take your best guess where your vent is to go ( between the supports hopefully ) Drill a hole on the inside in the center of the area you wish to install the vent. A hole large enough to get a rod into the cavity of the roof. Poke each way to find the supports and dig around for wires. Once you think you have it, then cut the out line of your vent on the cycling with a utility knife. Once you know for sure your still happy with the results, then at this point you can add two headers and simply glue them into place. Once that is set up then cut out roof opening.

Suggestion: bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, roof, vent