Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

Installing Inverter

Hello everyone…I have a 2019 25’ Apex Nano. It has a WF-8735 Converter on board. I am looking to install my new 1500 Power TechON Pure Sine Wave inverter and two new GC2-ECL-S- 6 volt Interstate batteries (both items already purchased). Would have considered installing transfer switch but cannot figure out which one would work with the 8735, as the breaker that turns off the converter (I am aware of the need to do this when inverter is on, thanks to you awesome guys and gals on this site) also turns off all of the lights, refer, radio, ceiling fans, ect. But it does not turn off the receptacles.

So my plans are to install inverter in storage comp in front by tongue, I have added storage box on tongue will run 2/00 cables from series batteries to 200 amp fuse 6” away, then to a battery cut off switch another 6” away then about a 2’ 6” run to inverter. Then purchase 10 AWG ext cord plug it into inverter and run along chassis (along with the inverter remote switch cable) to the converter compartment.

Install a Blue Sea systems 9009 AC rotary switch-off-plus 2 positions 120v AC 30A in the 10 AWG romex that provides shore power and comes into the back of the 8735. (see pic)

Install a cutoff switch in the 6 AWG positive cable coming from then battery to the 8735

And of course the inverter on/off switch, rotary switch, cutoff switch all in the same place. (see pic)

So to tell you a little about my uint and our habits.

First of all no need to run micro/ac/hairdryer/etc while boon docking (we have 3000 Honda genset if needed)

The Apex when not on the road sits in a totally closed warehouse hooked up to 30amp, water and sewage.

When ready to use rv then we back up to the rv hookup up 7pin and travel to destination (no inverter while moving).

If we decide to pull over in rest area to eat/rest/bathroom and want power, I just hit switches : inverter switch on/rotary switch to inverter/cut off switch to off and just have to remember to hit switches opposite on way out.

If we pull into park with hookups, I will would just hook to shore power, and for the shore power to work I have to have rotary switch turned to shore power for it to work right?

When we are boon docking and using inverter it will be for laptop, led lights, stereo, some (very little) satellite tv and receiver.

I learn new things everyday and want to do this right so please chime in and let me know what is wrong with this plan….Thanks Justin

Also I have not yet changed my unit description to the Apex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2198.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	250538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2179.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	250539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2190.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	250540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2191.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	250541  

Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Thumbs up

install my new 1500 Power TechON Pure Sine Wave inverter and two new GC2-ECL-S- 6 volt Interstate batteries (both items already purchased).

250 amp hour batteries are under size for a1500 watt inverter. 400 amp hour or more would be better.
However, your planned usage will not need 1500 watts so the inverter will never draw full power. --- OK good to go.

Would have considered installing transfer switch but cannot figure out which one would work with the 8735, as the breaker that turns off the converter (I am aware of the need to do this when inverter is on, thanks to you awesome guys and gals on this site) also turns off all of the lights, refer, radio, ceiling fans, ect. But it does not turn off the receptacles.

The transfer switch does not need to have a function to turn the converter/charger off. It is a matter of rewiring the 115 volts to the converter.
Your WFCO has a breaker dedicated to the converter/charger. Remove the out wire from that WFCO beaker. Provide a new breaker box with 15 amp breaker for that converter wire. Connect new box to Shore Power. Converter/Charger will only operate when shore power is connected.
The Blue Sea transfer switch comes next. Output goes to WFCO main. Inverter 115 volt out goes to other input on the Blue Sea.

So my plans are to install inverter in storage comp in front by tongue, I have added storage box on tongue will run 2/00 cables from series batteries to 200 amp fuse 6” away, then to a battery cut off switch another 6” away then about a 2’ 6” run to inverter.

Good to go! I recommend a weatherproof Bussmann 200 amp DC breaker instead of fuse and additional switch. Bussmann has a history of high quality reliable electrical devices. Trust Bussmann for 200 amps.

Then purchase 10 AWG ext cord plug it into inverter and run along chassis (along with the inverter remote switch cable) to the converter compartment.

An extension cord is designed for temporary connections only. It is especially risky for outside on a moving TT.
Better to use exterior grade cable and make screw connections to inverter and transfer switch.
It may still need additional armoring against road debris. I am not sure. I would snake the cable through inside spaces as much as possible..

Install a Blue Sea systems 9009 AC rotary switch-off-plus 2 positions 120v AC 30A in the 10 AWG romex that provides shore power and comes into the back of the 8735. (see pic)

Good to go! This switch is essentially a manually operated transfer switch. See above for wiring.

Install a cutoff switch in the 6 AWG positive cable coming from then battery to the 8735

This is not needed. Leaving it connected will provide 12 volt DC to all the 12 volt devices connected to the WFCO fuse block.
Connect the battery end of the 6 awg wire to the 200 amp shut off you plan to add at the battery box.
Remember to make sure the TT emergency break is connected through its own breaker directly to the battery. This will make sure the emergency break is not accidentally disabled when the 200 amp battery disconnect switch is turned off.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #3

See inverter installation instructions to see if you can install the inverter in the same enclosed space as the batteries. You may need a separate vented space for the batteries. The same goes for the 200 amp disconnect switch.

Lead/acid batteries emit hydrogen gas. Any stray spark will ignite the hydrogen in an enclosed space.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter