Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

Installing light switches 2012 Cougar

Recently purchased a real nice clean 2012 Cougar. Noticed all the lights must be turned on by reaching up to the light on ceiling. Would like to install switches at entry doors and also in bathroom. Has anyone undertaken this task before. Could use some advise. Thanks I advance. Doc Evins
DocEvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Fishing the wires across the roof cavity, would be tough enough , but trying to get them down an outside wall with the ridged insulation could end up making a mess of your clean, new to you RV.
You would have to try and stick to installing in an interior wall and even then things could get messy.
If you are going to try , do the bathroom first, shorter distance to fish the wires across. Take down the vent trim and look in the roof cavity to see how much space there is; and how the wires are run. Drop the light out of the ceiling .Select the spot where you want the switch, then you will have to loosen the panel from the wall far enough to get to the top of the wall with a drill . Drill a hole big enough for 2 wires. Then you will need " fish tape " a stiff but still flexible wire from the hardware store, to feed up through the hole in the wall toward the wiring, if your hole came up between different trusses than the wiring this could take some doing.
Cut the power wire at the light, run two wires to the switch by attaching to the fish tape and pulling the wires back through. Attach the wiring to the switch mount the switch and wire to the light and assemble, the light and wall. Not a quick job or an easy one.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

I've done my bathroom light, bedroom ceiling light is next.

In the corner of my bath there's a false 4"x4" corner right inside the door opening thats covering the vent pipe from the black tank. I pulled it out, intalled the switch and bezel in it, fished the two wires across the ceiling from the hole for the pipe to the hole for the light, cut the power wire and spliced in the switch.

The bedroom light will be done using the same access point but penetrating the wall behing the false corner. One by one I want to do most of mine some how. You just have to get imaginative on how to access things without doing any damage.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

J.C.; Doc has shifted his focus to a search for remote control lighting.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/remot...ml#post2121274

I don't know if the product exists but I think it would be a good seller if the price was right.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

I want to thank everyone for your input. I have purchased a 12 volt remote on ebay. Hoping it will work. Will report back after I receive and try it. Again Many Thanks.
Doc Evins
DocEvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Thanks for keeping us up-dated, pictures and part numbers would help other members attempting the same up-grade. Just saying.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #7

I ran mine in conduit and fished the wire through the ceiling to the light. I used two light switch covers sandwiched together so I didn't have to cut into the wall to mount the switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	70203
Pic is sideways
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	70204