Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Insurance Coverage on Travel Trailer

Hi folks, I have another question.

We received the paperwork today from our insurance carrier.

I noticed the paperwork didn't have any amounts or limits on it. So I called our agent. The lady in the office told me that she would have to have someone call me tomorrow. When I expressed frustration she put the owner on the phone. I was told that since you could not drive the trailer, it was insured for the amount of the vehicle towing it. So the value of my husband's truck towing the trailer would be the limit of the insurance coverage of the trailer.

I said no, this trailer is worth more than the truck is and it has a loan on it so we have to make certain if in the event of a total loss or even partial loss we are covered.

She said well can you sleep in it? I said yes. She said can you cook and take a shower in it? I said yes, you could live in it if you wanted to. She said oh, well I will need to check on this. I can't answer the question on insurance for a unit like this right now.

So my question to the group is:

who do you have your insurance through and is there something I should be asking for that I am missing?

Thanks so much.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

Progressive insures my camper on its own policy. Make sure that you are covered when you are not towing (fire, theft, damage from falling tree, etc.)

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Progressive Insurance

I think I will call them. Thank you.

I wondered that when they said we were covered when the trailer was in tow....what about when it sits in my driveway.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My coverage is also through Progressive. It is clear what is insured, it is separate from my pickup, and the limits are stated. Maybe your insurance folks don't know what they're dealing with. Doesn't sound professional or knowledgeable.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Agreed

My thoughts exactly. I'm not going to throw any particular agent under the bus, but the company is State Farm and for some time now we have been less than pleased.

I am going to contact Progressive.

Thanks so much. To think for the past three years with our other TT we had this type of coverage. Thank God we never had any type of loss or damage.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Sounds as if State Farm just insured a trailer--not a Recreational Vehicle. I looked into putting my RV with them, but they didn't seem too interested by the rates quoted.

I too went with Progressive and have full replacement (stated value.) It's not cheap insurance, but they do have dedicated RV adjusters that already have relationships with local body shops, etc. The one claim I had was with excellent service from Progressive.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

I have Mercury covering my vehicles and TT, full coverage on all.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Great Input

Another great option.

I just love the picture of your truck and TT. I will have to get pictures of ours, it is still so new that we haven't really taken any pictures. But ours looks similar to yours. We have a 2016 Forest River Cascade and my husband has a 2010 Ford F150 SuperCab V8 Ecoboost. I'm sure he said it had Ecoboost. I just sit in it and it goes. LOL

Thanks again for the info. I've gotten so many great tips and information, such wonderful people and a sense of community.

Let me know about your TT.

All my best.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
insurance

Hello magicalwoman,
under the advice of the finance lady where we bought the trailer, we opted to insure our trailer separately from our other vehicles. We got a good deal through foremost as they specialize in RV insurance. it is technically covered under homeowners when its parked next to the house. we have all of our insurance through one company and this is the only separate one, because if we need to make a claim on the TT it will not affect our other insurance.
good luck.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:34 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Input So Valued

Our agent stumbled through our questions on two conversations today. We felt we would give her the chance to explain coverage and what we "thought" we were covered for.

After the second phone call, and much to our shock we will begin our calls tomorrow. Progressive is on our list as is Farmers. Both have local agents in our area. I sincerely want to thank the members here for their input. Again, I am so happy to have found this community.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:25 AM   #11

When the trailer is being pulled, the trailer is covered under your vehicle insurance, so you need the added coverage ($$$$) to repair/replace the trailer as well as the tow vehicle. The trailer is not insured under your vehicle policy when it is not moving (towed) so you need additional insurance (like comprehensive on your truck) that covers the trailer for damages occurred from falling limbs, water damage, fire, vandalism, theft, ect when it is stationary.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #12

Our trailer has it's own policy under state farm. 2 accidents, not our fault and owner without insurance, and a burst pipe at home and they've always been a pleasure to deal with.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #13

We have Progressive agreed value coverage. We had friends who had less than one year old trailer stolen. The problem they ran into was by default trailers are more expensive here in the Pacific Northwest due to the cost to transport them out here. Their adjust kept basing replacement pricing on units in the midwest which were less money due to no transport costs.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #14

TT INS

my ins agent (local co.) has added my trailer to my truck policy.

in Mass. you must have ins. to obtain a registration. i have called several times

and cannot get a straight answer. i called progressive and got a quote.

during that conversation the agent said he did not think the trailer was covered.

calling my agent tomorrow.

Jim

Tags
insurance, travel, travel trailer