Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Insurance tags, initial purchase adv. plz.

We are taking a drive to look at a used TT on Monday. If we find that it or another one suits us, we would be ready to make a deal and pay cash. Can you point me to another thread or provide me with some advice on what to expect as far as insurance and tags; what is the dealers responsibility in getting things set up for us? Do i need to arange for vehicle/trailer inspection? Is there anygthing that the dealer is going to try and get away with/stick us with that I should be aware of. I am expecting delivery of a plug and play brake controller tomorrow. I plan to get load range E tires soon and a Reece WDH. Thinking i can get a way with just the brake control for the trip home if we do make a purchase, ..getting the other items shortly after.

Comments please..
WisePole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The answers may depend on the state you live in & are purchasing in. In NC the dealer is responsible for state inspection & can not sell a vehicle that has not passed with in a certian amount of time that he has had it on his lot. He also must have it state inspected even if it was done right before he bought it. You are responsible for your insurance, the dealership may have some suggestions & even an agent on hand for insurance purposes. I can not answer your questions about the brakes or hitch setup. Good luck & be sure to make sure everything works before you sign anything.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

good on insurance. I'm in MD. Other than firing up the fridge ahead of time, so when I get there i can check its functioning, anything else I should ask them to get going ahead of time?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

In many states your truck insurance policy also covers any towed trailers, with liability only, while it is attached to the truck. You must contact your truck insurance agent on this. For short distances you can likely pull your trailer home without a WDH if you drive with care. State inspections, etc are an individual responsibility to know your state's laws. The bureau of motor vehicles is a good resource for this.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't give any information on your TV, you state getting load range E tires, for what the TT or the TV
Fill in your personal data so more can help.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #6

I have a 5.7 Tundra SR5 Crewmax. I am getting a tekonsha P3 brake controller today. Can use one anyway for borrowing my brother's small TT if we dont buy one soon. I am going to purchase probably a Reece WDH with any TT that we purchase. I will need to get better tires for my TV. May also add a sway bar to the TV down the road. The truck weighs 6040# with me in it. 6600# with projected kids wieght in a few years, dog and gear). TT we are looking at is 4950 dry.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
When we purchased our first TT we negotiated the WDH and Brake controller in the deal and had the dealer set everything up for us to ensure it was level. You might want to consider that if you find a TT you really like and they won't drop to the price you want. Often they will throw in accessories if they won't drop in price...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you may need to know.

The law in many states is much like the law in Michigan

From the time of purchase you have so many hours (3 days in Michigan) to drive either 1: To your place of residence or 2: Nearest Dept of Motor Vehicles (Secratary of State in MI) Office.. DIRECT by best route, NO detours

WITHOUT PLATES

Do, however, research the law and print out a copy if you try this, You may well be stopped and the odds of a "local" officer having the kind of training and experience a State Police dispatcher gets... Dang near zero.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
When we purchased our first TT we negotiated the WDH and Brake controller in the deal and had the dealer set everything up for us to ensure it was level. You might want to consider that if you find a TT you really like and they won't drop to the price you want. Often they will throw in accessories if they won't drop in price...
Yes, It appears that visiting 7 different dealers from Jersey to VA, that is about the standard deal. No budge on the standard MSRP price drop, throw in the WDH, Brake control and start up kit. Not much promising used inventory out there at the dealers. Seems like a new Jay Flight 26BH would fit the bill for us at a near used TT price unless we are able to locate one from a private party sale. Gonna start searching all the local listings. All in all our first visits to the dealer were very informative, especially in identifying particular affordable poor quality new models that we do NOT want. Honestly I dont think some on those would survive 1 camping trip.