Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Interstate battery dead or not?

I have an Interstate HD-24-DP under warranty

It's OC voltage after being charged is 3.6 V

First place I took it to, said it's bad and spent a week trying to find a replacement. They finally said they couldn't get it and to go some where else.

I find another interstate retailer, they test the fluid and tell me the battery is just fine.

Battery experts, does this sound right?
frank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

I took a quick look at the info for your Group 24 battery. Nothing special, its a maintenance free Group 24 battery. Any Group 24 batt will do, marine stores will carry as they are used in boats, deep cycle, sort of. Take it to a NAPA store for a load test.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I took a quick look at the info for your Group 24 battery. Nothing special, its a maintenance free Group 24 battery. Any Group 24 batt will do, marine stores will carry as they are used in boats, deep cycle, sort of. Take it to a NAPA store for a load test.
It's under warranty, so i want to get it replaced without buying a new one.

I could take it to NAPA, but they can't handle the warranty and the interstate dealer could care less whether some other store had it fail.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

To your question, 3.6v for a 12v battery of course is not right, If Interstate doesn't want to warranty your battery, you might be stuck. Can you find another Interstate dealer?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

Hi Frank10; See if you can locate a Interstate battery DISTRIBTOR. I have had better luck dealing with the above as they are the source, not a retailer. The retailer gets their batteries from the distributor. You might have to drive a little further, but I think you will get better service. Call ahead and talk to someone on the shop floor and explain you situation with the battery before you make the trip. Get their name and contact number so you don't get any surprise before you arrive. This has worked well for me in the past dealing with Interstate. Good luck! Also just checking the specific gravity is only one test to do on a battery. Need someone with a lot more knowledge. I have run into many retailers over the years that do not have the proper knowledge of how to test a battery. Just my own experience over the last 45 years.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
unfortunately, most of the other interstate dealers don't handle RV batteries.

I'll try taking it back again in the spring, maybe it will fail.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

Warranty is pro-rated by month, is it not? By Springtime might not be much warranty left. Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Frank10; See if you can locate a Interstate battery DISTRIBTOR. I have had better luck dealing with the above as they are the source, not a retailer. The retailer gets their batteries from the distributor. You might have to drive a little further, but I think you will get better service. Call ahead and talk to someone on the shop floor and explain you situation with the battery before you make the trip. Get their name and contact number so you don't get any surprise before you arrive. This has worked well for me in the past dealing with Interstate. Good luck! Also just checking the specific gravity is only one test to do on a battery. Need someone with a lot more knowledge. I have run into many retailers over the years that do not have the proper knowledge of how to test a battery. Just my own experience over the last 45 years.
Thanks, I may try that. I've had 3 trips for this already. I called all three before going. If this battery can be reconditioned/charged so that it's safe to use for a camping trip, that's great. I also understand that a good number of returned batteries are still good.

I wouldn't take this battery on a trip. What if the trailer came off and the trailer brakes didn't engage because of the battery?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #9

Sounds like you are not in an emergency or rush situation.

I think I would make contact w/ Intestate Corp Support and tell them your local dealer can't find a replacement and ask for a written confirmation that either the dealer or corp will find a replacement and ship to the dealer.

Is the dealer you went to the one you purchased it from?
Shouldn't matter but seems like you would have a little more leverage.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
unfortunately, most of the other interstate dealers don't handle RV batteries.

I'll try taking it back again in the spring, maybe it will fail.
If by OC you mean Off Charge, voltage is 3.6 VDC after charging for an extended period then it has already failed.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in the west, Costco Stores are Interstate dealers. Never had an issue returning a defective battery there.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #12

I've been in the battery business for 20+ years. Any battery under 10V is recycled.
And, while some people swear by Interstate, from what I've seen, their best quality is marketing!
And, I agree, contact the company and tell them what's going on. If they can't help you, go find an Exide dealer!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it is a Group ## battery and not a GC battery at 3.x volts it is dead, I mean Dead, I mean Deceased, I mean re-cycle it it's done Bo hope of recoery

Even GC batteries atr 3.6 volt for the pair it would be IFFY but recovery NIGHT happen.. You don't know till you charge 'em back up.

Do you have just one or do you have 2 and if you have 2 do you have a couple inches extra "headroomn">

Reason for asking, A pair of GC-2 will fint in a pair of Group 24 tray but hey are taller

Group 24 abou 25 amp hours each 150 total and you can use perhaps 20-25 percent of that or around 30-35 amnp hours

A pair of GC-2. 220 amp hours give or take a bit and you can use halfm that's 55-70 amp hours.. DOUBLE the power.. for the same cost

NOTE the GC-2's need to be wried in series

-6V+=-6V+ = 12 volts

-12+
-12+ also = 12 volts.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
I tried returning it to a costco, and they said they only handle returns for batteries purchased there.

the battery dealer ran a 24 hour charge test and said it passed. I'm supposed to pick it up. I'm curious what the OCV is.

Tags
battery