Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Inverter wiring

We have a 2020 open range 310bh. First time heading down south in it. And it seems they have the microwave hooked to inverter and not the fridge . So I'm asking can I switch breakers or wires in the elec box so frig runs off in inverter? And can I put soon dry ice in freezer? And everything works when on shore power
Thanks for any replys
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
We have a 2020 open range 310bh. First time heading down south in it. And it seems they have the microwave hooked to inverter and not the fridge . So I'm asking can I switch breakers or wires in the elec box so frig runs off in inverter? And can I put soon dry ice in freezer? And everything works when on shore power
Thanks for any replys
sure if they are close by it should be an easy job. Depends on how it's wired. They may both be in the same box. Just move the wires on the breakers. All rigs are different.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #3

If all the other outlets that are supposed to work on the inverter are working as expected, then it may be that the MW is plugged into the fridge outlet and visa versa.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Is it a residential fridge? An rv fridge can be switched to LP and only needs 12 volts to run. Although some balk at running on LP while driving it is a common practice with no proven dangers just turn it off when at the gas pumps.
You could change the wiring in the power panel. It would probably be pretty easy and the microwave isn't going to work very well from the inverter anyway. Keep in mind that anything else on the microwave circuit (ie nearby outlets) will be removed from the inverter also. Another option is to install a separate dedicated pure sine wave inverter for the fridge.
In the mean time the fridge will stay cold for a few hours with it off since it isn't being opened. If you only drive 4-5 hours between shore power stops you don't really have to do anything except keep the ice tray empty.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for reply s yes it's a residential fridge the converter is only 1200 and at dealer the said it only runs fridge. Call open range they said to take in for warranty so going to put dry ice in freezer.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
At dealer they said the converter only runs the fridge so I'm thinking switched wires some were
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
Thanks for reply s yes it's a residential fridge the converter is only 1200 and at dealer the said it only runs fridge. Call open range they said to take in for warranty so going to put dry ice in freezer.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Yup, a1200 watt inverter can not run a microwave. Not enough power.

Until returning it, you should be able to use an extension cords to plug the fridge into the microwave outlet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Check your breaker panel to see if you have a dedicated breaker for the fridge. If you do then those wires go to the fridge and can be moved. You may also have dedicated breaker for the microwave. If so then you could switch them. I am assuming this was a factory install not a add on otherwise you need to trace wires to do a switch.

I agree with others that a 1200 W inverter is probably not enough for a microwave but if you have a small one, say 800-1000 watt microwave that will work. The problem is say the microwave is on and the fridge comes on too, the inverter may not be able to handle the start current and that could hurt your fridge.

You also need strong battery bank to handle all this and some TT don't do it justice.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

Just be careful about microwave oven power requirements. The small ones are particularly inefficient, and 1350W input is typical for a 900W output (cooking power) small counter top unit, or 67%. Larger ones tend to be a little better, but the point is that a low cooking power MW will draw considerably more power from the receptacle than the advertised power number would suggest.

Best to look at the data plate in person when buying, or look at the data plate on the existing unit in the case of the OP, as many manufacturers don't put that on their web pages. Panasonic does, though.

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume...ave-ovens.html

But with such a small inverter, I'd definitely switch the two so the fridge is on the inverter, not the MW oven.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure the inverter is installed before the breakers? With the inverter on, turn off the breaker and see if you lose power to the microwave. If it still has power from the inverter with the breaker off than the inverter is installed between the breaker and the outlet and switching wires at the breaker won’t help.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

WARNING!!!! Remember that dry ice expands as it converts back to a gas. You do not want to explode the freezer. Don't lock the door if using dry ice.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
WARNING!!!! Remember that dry ice expands as it converts back to a gas. You do not want to explode the freezer. Don't lock the door if using dry ice.
Most fridges have open drains for condensate. I don't think overpressure would be a problem.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

The inverter has to be after the breaker.

The breaker is connected to a bus bar. That bus bar is also the hot leg for other breakers. Swapping wires or breakers there won't help.

When on shore power, 120 volts goes thru the breaker to the inverter pass thru switch, then to the outlet.

The wiring mistake has to be at the inverter pass thru switch or beyond it. When shore power is lost, the pass thru switch connects to inverter power, running the outlet.

They most likely took the 120 volt wire from the inverter and ran it to the wrong receptcal. ( The one for the microwave ) The 2 receptcals is where the change has to be made.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for all the replys. Setting in Walmart look in to it there's a breaker for the microwave and not one for the fridge. I'm sure they mixed up wires . Highland told me not to mess with it or it might void warranty.and when I turn the inverter off the microwave turns off. After calling highland they couldn't tell me what run what something about new program in computer not up yet. So one more day on road and we should be set for 4 months. Just like the motor home we sold have to learn allover again.
It's funny I get better advise and information here than from factory.
Safe travels Bob,Linda & missy

Tags
inverter