Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Investigating first trailer purchase

Trying to research our first trailer purchase as empty nesters. We re returning to our camping roots, but haven't done it since we were both kids so it's all new again.

1- comparing a Winnebago Minnie and a North Trail in the 5000 lbs or less range ( seems like 18-23 feet or so). Any insights?

2- can I effectively pull either one with a newer model Ford Explorer? I have seen several folks say they have pulled a Minnie with a Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

We found that we had to go up to the expedition unless we were going to get a pop up.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Anything in particular you might add- you travel in mountainous areas, long trips? Just wondering if specifics or just in general not enough power.

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

We are shopping too, we started looking at all possible options for tow vehicle once we decided to go with the TT instead of the motor home. Unless you can get away with a canned ham or tear drop size, it was hard to find anything of size that could be pulled by a light truck or mid size suv. We settled on the 2013 ford expidition after about two years of research.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #5

2013 Explorer...
Engine- acceptable for the class
Transmission ratios- good
Rear end 3.31- sucks big time. It may tow full size at forth gear on the level ground, unless there is a tail wind
Towing capacity- 2000lb, transmission cooler may be necessary in order to tow 5000lb
Rear overhang- quite long, but eventually will work with good sway control and smaller than 20 feet trailer.
Suspension- reportedly soft, probably no good.
Fuel tank 18.6 gal? Ridiculous. Get ready to refuel every 2 hours
Can you pull with it? Probably yes. Effectively? Doubt.
Tacoma comes with 3.73 rear end which should be ok for towing in direct gear and it us rated for 6500 lb
Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

OK...I have a Winnebago Minnie 2201DS. If you look at the dry weight, it comes in at 3,780 lbs. Now, my unit has an awning, the outdoor kitchen and with full propane tanks and our gear (not food) loaded, my trailer weighed 6,100 lbs. My Tundra 5.7 pulls it beautifully, but you wouldn't want it behind an Explorer.

Years ago we had a 6 cyl. Explorer and towed a Starcraft Starstream with it (12 foot box). I can't recall what it weighed, but it was all that I would want to tow with the Explorer....it wasn't too good on steep mountain grades.

So I suggest that you check the weight ratings for your Explorer, and keep in mind that posted dry weights do not include optional items, the weight of filled propane tanks, any water, fresh, gray or black in the tanks. With the Explorer, you will get more room and less weight with a pop-up or small hybrid. If you want to tow more, and can do it, trade in the Explorer for a well equipped 1/2 ton pickup that will allow you to tow 6000 lbs. and still be under the max weight for the truck.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. The specifics are awesome. We are loving this forum already! The comparison on the Tacoma and explorer were very helpful.

Also, the comments on slide vs no slide. We have been discussing the difference between the 18 and 21 foot Minnie's and just how much the slide matters. If I show my wife the conversation, it will be the 21 for certain .

Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #8

Greg, slides are a matter of choice. Even though they've been around a long time, we thought it was a little more setup hassle than we wanted. Our Arctic Fox, however, is wider (8.5') and feels very comfortable for the two of us. It's a personal thing. Since I'll need to work forever, we won't be spending more than a week at a time camping.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #9

I pulled a 5,000 lb. trailer with a Honda Ridgeline. I bought a F-150 after just a few times towing with the Ridgeline. You really do not want to tow near or at the vehicles max.

Not sure if you have looked a full size trucks lately but they are really nice and make an ok daily driver plus can tow a camper trailer when needed.

I would pick the Winnebago with the slide. The slides makes it much better for two people.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

Wouldn't give up on this I think with the right TT it can be done safetly with your TV - After two MHs we changed over to a 19' light weight TT and since I had a V6 Sonoma Crew Cab already, I pulled it for two seasons, twice over the Rockies and back before I got a bigger TV. Never had a problem. Scale weight ready to camp with just a little water in the TT was just over 4K. Added a trans cooler and temp gauge but nothing else.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

We had a Ford Ranger pick up and I started looking for a trailer that I could tow with it and found nothing we liked. We ended up with a F250 diesel and a 28' Komfort TT with a small slide. I did not want the slide, the wife did, it was 3' deep and 6' long, made the trailer much more livable.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1965 View Post
Also, the comments on slide vs no slide. We have been discussing the difference between the 18 and 21 foot Minnie's and just how much the slide matters. If I show my wife the conversation, it will be the 21 for certain .
Thanks again.
IMHO, slideouts make a big difference and they are "hassle free" if equipped with slide topper. Otherwise, you may have to sweep off the top of the slide if camping where small branches, leaves or pine needles can fall onto the roof of the slide.

If I didn't buy the 2201DS, then the 2101FBS would be my choice. I've looked at a couple of trailers with Murphy beds, but with my wife's back issues, I was afraid of too many limitations in replacing the original mattress.

If the mattress isn't an issue for you, the model with the Murphy bed has a lot of space when bed is closed. And Winnebago keeps the pass through storage below. We looked at a Jayco model with murphy bed, and there wasn't any pass through storage....and storage space was just so small.

Having a truck, we really liked the 2201 DS for the location of the tv/partial wall. It works well for us, since the 2201DS only has a dinette, we opt to watch TV from the bed where we can stretch out and relax. If you like sitting outside whenever possible, you can adapt to living in a smaller trailer. Sometimes I miss the space of our 29' Sunline, but for the ease of towing with the Tundra and maneuvering into camp sites, we're enjoying the 2201DS!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

If you really need to go lightweight consider a molded fiberglass trailer like Casita, Scamp, EggCamper, Lil Snoozy, or Escape. They usually cost a little more than the stick and staple or laminate built trailers, but hold up better and maintain value. However, most are very small. The only brand listed that has models over 17' is the Escape - they have both a 19' and 21' model. The 21' Escape starts at around $30 K - and they DON'T give discounts. Bigfoot is another brand with large models, but they approach Airstream in price and are quite heavy. A good place to find information on these trailers is http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ and Escape Trailer Industries > Home
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
My advise... From experience, get a bigger trailer. I wasted my first trailer purchase on a smaller trailer, and was dissatisfied with it after 2 outings. I sold the 18 footer and got a 29.9 foot trailer, and wished I'd done this in the first place. I tow it with an F-150 with the 5.0 V-8, which is adequate, but not great. It weighs 6200 loaded.

The 18 foot trailer was sold to my daughter and son-in-law. They pulled it with a Tacoma for 2 trips, and he bought an F-150, because the TACO wasn't cuttin' it. That trailer had an empty weight of 3100#.

Long story short... you'll spend less in the long run if you don't short-change yourself initially. Your mileage may vary...

Tags
purchase